Postings by Blake CGC

GO!

(Page 1 of 191: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dogs & Travel > Fitting side-by-side crates in Subaru Forester
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 9:14pm PST 
Does anyone use 2 of the 30" tall midwest crates side-by-side in a Subaru Forester? Looking at the dimensions (42" L x 21" W x 30" H), they *should* fit, but has anyone actually done it?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Blake CGC, Jul 7 9:14 pm

Raw Food Diet > Supplementation - What's Necessary
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 8:38am PST 
I used to be in the same camp with Trigger- my dogs eat PMR, and the diet is balanced, so they shouldn't need anything extra.

And for many years, a balanced diet was all they got. Then, all of the sudden I woke up and realized I had a 9 year old dog. And 9 year old dogs' joints can get very tired. I recently started supplementing his diet with a glucosamine/chondroiton supplement and also giving him extra fish oil despite having fish in their regular diet. I really, really wish I had started this supplementation earlier. Our younger dog, nearly 3 year old Piper, gets the additional fish oil but not the G/C. I will likely start her on that around age 7?

Supplementation really depends a lot on the diet you're feeding and the age, lifestyle, health, etc of your pets. Definitely not a one-size-fits-all type thing.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 27 11:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > There's a hurricane coming, and I'm worried about ...

Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 12:22pm PST 
Just for a little reference, I went into the hurricane weekend with a fully packed chest freezer (est. $300 of meat inside- yes, I was nervous). After no power for 48 hours (never opened the freezer), I peeked in to see how things were doing. All was totally, 100% frozen. At that point, I was able to run a cord from the freezer to my neighbor's generator, but seeing how slowly things were thawing (or NOT thawing) in there, I think in the future I would be confident things would be fine for 4 days. Even if a little thawing occurred, that wouldn't be a biggie. By that time, I would hope that enough of my friends/family had power so I could spread out all of my freezer items.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Feather, Sep 1 10:12 am

Raw Food Diet > Beef trachea and gullet

Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 12:10pm PST 
IMO they fall in to the 'other' category. Definitely no bone in trachea/gullet.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Diesel, Sep 1 1:50 pm

Raw Food Diet > Paranoid about choking

Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 8:51am PST 
Sounds like you holding the food and hovering at mealtime is actually making the problem worse. Instead, feed bigger food! Chicken necks and wings are too small for all but the tiniest of dogs. Go for whole bone-in breasts or chicken quarters. And then supervise feedings, but from a distance at which the dogs don't see you as a threat.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Charlie, Aug 16 6:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > Have you or your dog ever gotten a food borne illness before?
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 7:13pm PST 
Neither dog has had any sort of food borne illness that I am aware of. Blake had an episode with Giardia many years ago, but that's the only tum-tum issues he's ever had. None for Piper.

I have been sick several times from food borne illnesses. Once from Applebee's iced tea, once from Ellio's pizza (EW!), and once from food from a street vendor in Eastern Europe (really, really bad decision). I've been raw feeding for 4 years, but that's irrelevant (IMO) b/c I handled raw meats for years before that cooking for myself/my family.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Apr 17 8:40 pm

Behavior & Training > Trusting Your Dog to Make Decisions on his/her Own

Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Thu Apr 7, '11 11:11am PST 
Awesome thread! What a fun topic to come back to.

Trusting and allowing your dog to make his/her own decisions is FUN! It's one of the most fun (and funny!) parts of companionship with a dog, and it's one of the things that is very commonly TOTALLY MISSED by so many dog owners. I have several friends/acquaintances in my life who are terrified to allow their dogs to make a decision.

I am totally, 100% on board with what Nick says on this topic. How do you nurture the type of relationship with your dog where you can trust them in just about any situation? Time, time, and more time. Just be with your dog. And, allow him to be with you. And, accept your dog for being a dog just as he accepts you for being a human.

It is absolutely possible to achieve this with an adult dog. Blake came to me at 15 months, and we now explicitly trust each other. I DO trust him off leash, because he's really GOOD at being off leash. But, I also admit that he is a dog, and that my expectations of him should be appropriate (and I feel that they are!). He is allowed to pretty much do whatever he wants off lead. (And, really, this goes for both dogs.) They are allowed to critter, to roll in things, to go for a swim when and where they want (even in freezing temps), to cool off in a swampy mud pit, and then come over to me and shake.

Now, if my expectations were for my dogs to heal or to stay within 30 feet at all times or to look to me before swimming or to ignore all critters, we wouldn't be nearly as successful as we are. So, I guess it all depends on your expectations.

Also, it helps (as far as being off lead goes) if being off lead is not a novel thing. I do remember the first time I allowed Blake to be off lead, and lemme tell ya- he feared that I would NEVER allow it again, and he acted accordingly.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Dasy, Apr 9 1:45 pm

Raw Food Diet > How long have you been feeding raw?

Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Tue Apr 5, '11 2:08pm PST 
I had to look this one up. 5 years! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mackenzie CGC TDI DSA, Apr 5 8:02 pm

Raw Food Diet > What would you do? (balancing incomplete raw)

Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 11:24am PST 
"I hate myself for not working harder at finding a deer processor during season. That would have been... unimaginably helpful right about now."

If it makes you feel any better, most (all?) deer are field dressed which means these lovely organs are left out in the field and don't get anywhere near the processor. It's a requirement of deer butchered where I get scraps. So, organs are never in the equation- except the occasional heart. Hope that makes you feel better. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delta and Doc, Apr 4 5:33 pm

Sports & Agility > nosework
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 12:42pm PST 
How can you not love nosework once you get a taste, that's what I wanna know! It's like a true glimpse into what life must be like as a dog.

On another note, I'm taking my two to the mock trial in NJ this weekend. I'll have to share my experiences here once we're back. Blake is SO READY. And, Piper is just going for the fun of it and to work a novel location. I'm so excited! dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Torie, Mar 31 9:48 pm

(Page 1 of 191: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.