Postings by Minnie ♥

GO!

(Page 1 of 374: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Muzzle for an English Mastiff
Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '07 10:25pm PST 
This was the first site I came across online:

http://www.leather-creations.com/muzzles.html

You put in the measurments of the eyes to nose, around the nose, and the neck behind the ears.

I'm sure they're are plenty more sites though if you search! Good luck!! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pooch ~ I miss you ~, Aug 25 11:48 am

Behavior & Training > I'm at the end of my rope with potty training.
Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '07 1:29pm PST 
On this one dog training show, a lady had three poms that kept peeing in the house. The trainer told the owner to use a timer and every half hour (?) the dogs would go potty.

Good luck!!! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by ♥ Smokey ♥, Aug 26 5:26 pm

Behavior & Training > jumps up and nips!!!bad boy!!

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '07 11:11am PST 
With powerful and active labs I would suggest using a prong collar. Give quick pops on the leash to make corrections. But this can only be used for leash training. You can't just let him drag around the leash with the prong collar on, although keeping the leash on is a good idea.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Minnie ♥, Aug 20 11:11 am

Food & Nutrition > What time do you pups eat at?

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '07 7:35pm PST 
Twice a day at around 7:00am and at 6:00pm.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bradley Shamus, Aug 15 11:13 am

Behavior & Training > Humilating Pulling at other dogs...

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '07 5:57pm PST 
I would suggest an obedience class to learn how to use the prong collar and to teach your dogs some manners!
Good luck! dog
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Minnie ♥, Aug 14 5:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Shock Collars
Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '07 3:14pm PST 
Minnie has a high prey drive in her to chase cats and birds. She'd also go up to people and dogs in a friendly manner, although the people didn't always appreciate it.

We decided to get a "shock collar" (remote trainer, as I'd rather call it). According to the booklet your supposed to do it on the lowest setting you dog responds to. So you start at level one when the collar is on the dog and go up one at a time until your dog shows some response, such as a flick of the ears or stratching on the collar. That is as high as you need to go on the collar for most situations (in some situations Minnie would chase a cat and her normal setting would not stop her I'd have to go up).

The booklet will give you plenty of exercises to help you with common dog problems (but there is a warning that it should NEVER be used on an aggressive dog).

Minnie behaves wonderfully now... but only when the collar's on. We talked to a trainer about it and she said that while most dogs learn to behave without the collar after months of training with it, some dogs just know that when the collars off, they don't have to behave. So Minnie has to have it on everytime she's off-leash.

NOTE: Shock collars are a very arguable subject ("cruel" as many will say) but the shock isn't, in my opinion after trying it on myself, painful. It's annoying and I wouldn't want it happening to me (which is the whole point of the collar, and otherwise it wouldn't work), but it's not painful. It may surprise your dog, but not hurt him. But even though I don't consider it painful, some dogs will be afraid of it, just because they've never felt anything like that before. Don't use it on a dog with any type of fear issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Gunnar Griego, Aug 14 5:51 pm

Behavior & Training > Is he anxious or excited?

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '07 7:34pm PST 
Has the collar snap ever pinched his neck? I accientally pinched our former dog while putting on his collar and he was quite hesitant about me dealing with his collar after that.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Aug 10 10:40 pm

Behavior & Training > Is your dog a loner?

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '07 8:47am PST 
When Minnie was a crazy & terrible two she used to be the life of the party at the dog park! She'd run around all over and having a huge pack of big dogs trying to catch her! laugh out loud

But she's changed since then. She's does a lot of sniffing and gets scared easier towards and is more submissive to big dogs.

I guess dogs just change as they get oldershrug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Aug 10 10:32 pm

Behavior & Training > Anyone ever train their dog to pee in a certain area of the lawn?

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '07 8:42am PST 
If you search something like "Grass Saver for Dogs" on Google you will find a bunch of products that claim to stop the dogs urine from ruining your lawn. I'm not sure which work and are safe so you might want to talk to your vet or someone who's used them before.

Good luck! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Nallah, Aug 10 1:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Will he ever go off-leash?
Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '07 10:07am PST 
I'm not looking for an agrument so if you disagree with this, fine. This is simply our take.

Minnie used to be horrible off-leash. Every little distraction (a person, dog, bird, or esspecially cats) would send her running. And we'd spend like ten minutes at the dog park trying to catch her! She was learning obedience through treat training and she only behaved if the treat was present. She had pretty much no respect for me... although she knew the command come, if she didn't wanna come she wouldn't come.

So we bought a remote trainer (shock collar). I totally disagreed with it at first but we talked to a lady at the dog park with one and she told me all about it. She said that although the dogs hate the shock, it's not that painful, you can even do it on yourself (which I did). And most of them have a vibrate or sound so you don't have to shock them everytime, you can just give them a warning sometimes and they'll listen.

We followed the training booklet when we got it and saw wonderful results with come! Now we don't even use the collar and (although she will occasionally chase a cat) she respects me much more and comes much better!

~Minnie's Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Beau, Aug 9 6:31 pm

(Page 1 of 374: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.