Postings by Clifford

GO!

(Page 1 of 37: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > What is Bella??
Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Mon Dec 27, '10 4:00pm PST 
I think she looks a lot like a Great Pyrenees pup (maybe mixed with something?). That would also explain the double dew claws. She's beautiful!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Pepper, Dec 28 10:50 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Mom is excited, Lola not sure
Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Tue Jun 22, '10 5:13pm PST 
I think it's wonderful that you're fostering! I fostered for Desert Labrador Rescue for a couple of years, and it was the most rewarding experience. Challenging sometime, yes, as most of the fosters were young dogs - but very rewarding.

You might take Hoss & Lola for a bit of a walk together once they meet for a few seconds at the green area. Sometimes that helps calm things if the initial intro is overly excited. Sounds like you're prepared, though. Hope everything goes well! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bella and Daisy CGC, Jun 26 6:57 pm

Raw Food Diet > Irritability During Transition?

Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 12:40pm PST 
I never thought about sugar withdrawal, Meridian, but that makes so much sense! Thank you!

He's feeling better, and the irritability is only occasional now. And the heat surely isn't helping. He's inside in the A/C 95% of the time, but he heats up fast & cools down slow. It also cust down on our ball playing. It's not humid, but it's scorching in the sun & neither of us likes to stand outside when it's like that. Even Cliff will quit after a few throws!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Meridian, Jun 19 1:00 pm

Raw Food Diet > The looks you get at the grocery store... LOL

Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 12:33pm PST 
Wow, Tyson - you are lucky! (and I talk to my dogs while we're out walking, too, so don't feel bad!)
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jun 27 8:18 pm

Raw Food Diet > dairy/supplementing.

Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Sat Jun 19, '10 12:27pm PST 
We use the occasional cheese for treats around here, but I've always been hesitant to give my dogs other dairy products, too. It's just my intuition speaking, but it doesn't seem species appropriate, so I avoid it.

I suppose cottage cheese would be a inexpensive source of protein if someone was on a budget & needed the meat to stretch further. Seems like sticking to meat sources would be the best route to go, though.

Why did the other owners feel dairy was so important?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 19 6:40 pm

Raw Food Diet > Read Something Scary Today....
Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 8:56am PST 
I'm so glad that someone else thought that, too, Blake! When I read that Dr. Lonsdale recommended feeding a chicken carcass after the meat had been removed for human use, I was really confused. That's an awfully high ratio of bone to meat! I haven't read the book yet, so maybe he clarifies.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kolbe, Jun 19 9:02 pm

Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Thu Jun 17, '10 7:54pm PST 
No worries, Zane! I knew you weren't pickin' on me!

I guess it's true that you have to weigh the risks against the benefits. It does seem as though these are rather isolated incidents. My husband is much more comfortable with grinds for now, so we'll go that route for a bit longer. Maybe we'll do the occasional chicken quarter so that we both can get used to it slowly!
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Kolbe, Jun 19 9:02 pm

Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Thu Jun 17, '10 5:12pm PST 
Yeah, I suppose that could be. She made it sound like the dog jumped up from the carcass & ran around yelping in pain. If the bone punctured far enough, I could see that happening. I guess you never know, though. She could have left it there for a period of time.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Kolbe, Jun 19 9:02 pm

Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Thu Jun 17, '10 4:59pm PST 
One of the book reviews of Dr. Lonsdale's book that I read today was written by a woman who said that feeding whole carcasses to her dog cost her $2500 in vet bills. She evidently fed her Irish Setter half a chicken (which is the size we would need to feed), and one of the small bones got stuck between the dog's teeth & pierced the roof of its mouth. shock

Just when I think I'm ready to go chicken parts vs. ground, I hear something like that. The check out girl at the dog food store told me she had to pull a bone fragment out of her chihuahua's gum, too. What the heck? I really want the dental benefits, but man that scares me!
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Kolbe, Jun 19 9:02 pm

Raw Food Diet > The looks you get at the grocery store... LOL
Clifford

The Big Red(ish)- Dog!

Barked: Thu Jun 17, '10 4:53pm PST 
Yep! My husband made the mistake of telling a woman & her husband that he was buying meat for our dogs, and she was just appalled! She couldn't believe we were going to feed that perfectly good meat to the dogs! shock

Even the butcher where I go to pick up the ground raw that we've been feeding looks at me like I'm outta' my mind for feeding the dogs such expensive stuff. Or maybe he just thinks I'm crazy for paying for the ground stuff when I could get the whole cuts cheaper!! laugh out loud He's probably right!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jun 27 8:18 pm

(Page 1 of 37: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.