Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 8:25am PST 
So sorry for you loss. You will hold him forever in your heart. x
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Penny, Aug 20 8:25 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I love you forever, Leo
Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 8:22am PST 
So sorry for your loss. Your precious Leo will lead you from the other side to places in your life which are, as yet, unknown. He will always be with you. rainbow
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Penny, Aug 20 8:22 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Still can't get over it!

Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 7:03pm PST 
Aw. Thanks M&K.

I know it was worth it. In fact, I thought it'd be worse before she went than it's actually been. But I'm amazed at how strong the feeling is after so long! I really thought I was over the proper 'cry your heart out' stuff now, but obviously not!

I'm not ready for a new rescue. I'll make sure this one finds its proper home, though.

One day I'll be ready, and there will be no doubts.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Katana (fallen not forgotten), Aug 22 6:48 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Thinking about getting a new dog has brought all my old feelings back to the surface.

Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 6:53pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your kind responses. I don't think I am ready yet. It's really surprised me. I thought I haven't felt like that about Pen for so long.

The rescue opportunity was very sudden. I started to get really excited about the thought of loving a dog again and letting them take over my life! But, things aren't ideal where I'm living, anyway. I think I would have to be completely smitten with the new one to make all the changes required to keep her. But I'm still so in love with Pens. The room in my heart isn't big enough yet.

I went to her grave today. (Always get bitten by horrible mosquitoes when I go in summer - got a really itchy ankle!) It helped to be near her.

Grief is such an odd process though. That was so unexpected yesterday. I guess I love(d) her even more than I realised!

I'm thankful that I've had such an amazing companion in my life. And for being able to post here when the hardest part of being a dog owner hits.

Thank you. big hug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by (retired)minister misty, Aug 19 12:04 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Still can't get over it!

Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:39pm PST 
hugall our best friendshug

My Pen Pen went two years ago and tonight I'm just inconsolable. I was doing so well but thinking about getting another dog has just brought up so many tears from missing my angel. There'll never be another like her.

It's so hard, isn't it? frown
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Katana (fallen not forgotten), Aug 22 6:48 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Thinking about getting a new dog has brought all my old feelings back to the surface.
Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 6:23pm PST 
Hi everyone.

Penny passed two years ago, and I've managed to deal with her death remarkably better than I imagined I would. But, tonight, I sit in my bed, unable to sleep and inconsolable.

I haven't seriously thought about getting another dog since she left. I guess I've flirted with the idea a little when I learnt of the occasional adorable rescue who needed a friend, but I knew I wasn't ready. Today, an opportunity arose. It was completely unexpected but I started considering the possibility very carefully. This was only 12 hours ago, and - even though there are a few hurdles - I know it's do-able.

Then thoughts of my Pen Pen just consumed me. I've been sobbing for a good two hours now and just can't get past her. She was my best friend. My little companion. We were a double-act. I loved everything about her.

I'm grieving her now like I did the day she left. My thoughts are all 'I don't want any other dog', 'no other dog could possibly come close to her', all that sort of stuff. Does this mean I'm not ready at all to get another dog? If that's the case, I don't know if I'll ever be ready. Is this a really normal experience when thinking of getting another dog?

I can barely think about the sweet little pup that I felt real affection for this afternoon. I feel guilty for even thinking about a new dog right now! cry

Can anyone say anything that will cheer me up? Thanks so much for your time.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by (retired)minister misty, Aug 19 12:04 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Can you please help me get my wings?

Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Thu May 28, '09 6:00am PST 
We're lighting a heart-shaped candle for Gigi. We're sure she's already got her wings and is running around in the long grass up at the Bridge, having a great time. Thinking of both of you. xxx dog
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Gigi, Jun 1 6:46 am

Behavior & Training > Can anyone give me tips on how to manage / crate my lovely 13 year old?!

Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Thu Mar 19, '09 12:21pm PST 
Thank you everyone for responding. Things are a little better now.

I have taken out a loan and got some additional work to ensure that Penny can go to daycare or have someone to come in and break up her day. I tried gating her off in the kitchen area but don't think I did this very well and she got very stressed out - daycare lady has suggested how to re-try, over time. Have taken away stuff near window that Penny could jump on to get to the sill and close blind every day, which seems to have kept her focus away from the area.

Penny is still chewing the carpet but as this is trashed, that's ok in terms of damage. It's not good that she's still upset, though. I think she may settle down if I keep all the training up and follow the advice from the daycare lady and your good selves, and when she can begin to see that someone will be there to break the day up for her.

Now I've got the loan, I've stopped getting as stressed about the cost of everything which will, hopefully, also help her.

Thank you Sherpa for the tale of your rescue. It did make me feel better! How does a dog get through steel? shock What happened to him?

Pood: I haven't got that book yet but it looks great. I'm in the UK but will look for it on amazon. smile

Thanks so much, Maggie, for the Wagn'Train link. I'm already doing the basic stuff but will step it up with the serious-level suggestions. applause

And thank you Henry for just being there! way to go

I'll keep you all posted with our progress. Keep fingers crossed for us! xxx
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 19 12:34 pm

Behavior & Training > Can anyone give me tips on how to manage / crate my lovely 13 year old?!

Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 12:10pm PST 
Thank you Henry. I don't think there's anything else physical. She's so happy when I'm here and she got a thorough checking out from the vet when she went - he spotted the dental problem. She started taking glucosamine about a month ago for her joints and we got her some DAP to try to help relax her.

I think the SA began after Xmas and was exacerbated by the dental pain but am sure the pain's not the issue now. Maybe she's worried she'll get in pain again, when she's left though? I don't know.

I tried doing the SA training for the whole week I took off work but it was such slow going as she would manage for two minutes and then panic. I got it up to 1 hour and it seemed to be going well for a few days but then it got bad again and I haven't got any time to concentrate on doing it that intensively again for a while now. Only got the weekends and evenings to do it in. I'm so worried she'll do something and hurt herself.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Mar 19 12:34 pm

Penny

Always with you.

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 11:46am PST 
Sorry to bump this but please help somebody! We don't know what to do next! Tried doing the SA training and it helped a little bit but she has since got worse.

Discovered that Penny needed dental work doing. This has been done and Penny seems fine in terms of comfortability - she is fine when I or anyone else is here but her SA has not reduced. She has started trying to get out of the window now. I'm scared of what she might do next. cry
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Mar 19 12:34 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.