Postings by Dakota

GO!

(Page 1 of 69: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Best kibble for GSD puppy?
Dakota

Dakota - Psycho Pup- Zoomie Queen

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 5:31am PST 
I know I know. If you read my original post you would see my comment on the raw diet...

As for the puppy food, Kaiser seems to want to gobble up Dakota's food much more enthusiastically. He tries to eat with her, but I redirect him to his puppy plate. He's pretty stubborn, but will usually go back to eating his own food.

******Another question/situation though: He is definitely a picky eater like Dakota and I've noticed that he is MAYBE eating 1 cup of food/day (I offer food 3x/day). He drinks water whenever I offer it, but he won't always eat. I add warm water to his kibble (which he seems to prefer, and will drink it before he starts eating). Do you have any recommendations?
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 13 8:01 pm

Dakota

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 11:14am PST 
All I could find was Wellness Super5 LBP. It seems I may have to try and order from an online site since the local stores dont carry what you all recommended. I suppose they could special order it for me, but I'm sure I'd end up paying more than if I found it somewhere myself. Since this wasnt on anyones list, how do you all feel about it? The ratios (cal/phos) looks like they should be ok, but good gosh the kibble pieces are huge. I guess they don't take into consideration the fact that large breed puppies actually do start out small!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 13 8:01 pm

Dakota

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 2:49pm PST 
I knew Dogster would pull through. FINALLY a proper response with examples of top foods. Thank you thank you! smile I will check the local store to see what formulas they carry, and will purchase accordingly! Thank you again! I'm so very excited, and I can't wait to share pictures in a few weeks smile
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 13 8:01 pm

Dakota

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 12:54pm PST 
I've searched dogster's forums as well as google and couldn't find a sufficient answer to this question.

Some people say to stay away from puppy food to prevent a german shepherd pup from growing too fast. I've also seen "puppy/breed" formulas, which both sides of the fence argue over (a gimmick vs required for proper growth). The "type" of food isn't an issue, as I am a big proponent of the 5 and 6 star foods (even though Dakota and her poor, sensitive tummy can't handle most of them). I'm just wondering if I need to look for a special diet within those options (ie, a large breed puppy formula) or if I can simply feed an adult formula.

Dakota is currently on Fromm (grain free surf and turf, I think). Even though she has the stinkiest poops in existence, she isn't itching or showing any other signs of having issues (thank goodness!!)

And before anyone says it, YES I love the raw diet, I just can't afford it out here anymore (and no, there aren't enough people to go in together with to make it affordable).

Thanks smile
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 13 8:01 pm

Puppy Place > Contemplating new puppy!

Dakota

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 11:24am PST 
Oh yes, I know there are reputable breeders, but back when I was looking years ago they were never within reasonable driving distance and I really wanted a chance to see and interact with the puppies prior to paying for one. In this scenario, I'd still go see the puppy before making a final decision.

I had no idea there was anyone breeding that line near me (its still about an hour and a half away) so I was initially excited about the prospect. Ive written the breeder a message and I'm still waiting back about lineage/other tests to be sure.

I'm thinking BYB, which leaves much more room for "error" so to speak. Not to say they can't produce healthy dogs, but there is much more room for issues, whether behavioral or genetic, when the proper steps aren't taken. I'd feel much more comfortable knowing the histories of both parents.

And I realize the term "pick of the litter" is dependent on a few things. I know the guy who was supposed to get it was not going to use the dog for work. He has small children and wanted a dog that would be good in a family setting (both parents apparently are). I'm just looking for a healthy family dog that I could do agility with (or another active sport). Dakota loved learning the agility obstacles, but she wasn't very keen on competition as she had no drive to go-go-go.

I appreciate both your comments! This is why I love dogster smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dakota, Mar 4 11:24 am

Dog Health > Heartworm preventative help
Dakota

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 11:00am PST 
Problem is, around here we get VERY bad ticks and mosquitoes. I guess the all-in-one was easiest, but if I dont have any other heartworm options I suppose I'll have to modify what I use smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Merlin, Mar 4 11:43 am

Dakota

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 8:19am PST 
I was using K9 Advantix II...so would I no longer use that? What would I use in its place?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Merlin, Mar 4 11:43 am

Puppy Place > Contemplating new puppy!

Dakota

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 7:56am PST 
Long story short...the pick of the litter was promised to a coworker of mine. He mentioned this after we had a long conversation about dogs and training, including what I've done with Dakota. He then noted that he could no longer take the puppy due to unforeseen circumstances. He later spoke with the breeder, told him about me, and ultimately I was offered the puppy.

I've learned that the puppies were taken from the mother at approximately 4-5 weeks b/c she was getting extremely worn down. Although "my puppy" and his litter-mates have been weaned, I asked if the puppy could stay with mom and the other pups for another couple weeks. I have heard both sides argue whether 5-6 weeks is too early vs waiting until 8 weeks for adoption. At any rate, I asked if we could wait and the answer was yes. The breeder is currently keeping the puppies together and allowing access to mom a few times a day. I've not seen the mom, nor the puppies, however I have seen pictures of the dad and a current owner showed me a picture of a puppy from a past litter.

The puppy is a GSD with Belgian bloodlines. My coworker described the dad as intelligent and the mom as loving and that neither parent was aggressive or dominating.

I don't know what the puppy's temperament will be, but I am hoping it is more middle of the road, like Dakota.

Now for some questions:

-Will Dakota's personality/temperament rub off on the puppy?

-Suggestions for helping prevent possible jealousy (in Dakota)?

-Dakota is VERY quiet...will this rub off on the puppy?

-Any other suggestions?

I've asked about hips but I don't think the parents were tested. This leads me to believe that the breeders are BYB. On one hand, I think the puppies tend to go to people who are in law enforcement(as pets) and all are given local homes. I also noticed that it is hard to find dogs with this particular breeding (belgian, east german, czech, etc) as most breeders focus on american lines. I think the owners only breed twice a year and are huge advocates of the breed. I haven't been approached with a contract though, so I think they fall on both sides of the fence.

SO...another question: Is there anything I should be concerned about here? Some BYB/puppy mills are easy to identify and I feel should be shut down. In this case however I'm torn because I've spoken to people who have seen the parents and in one case it was someone who currently has a puppy from a prior litter.

OK I think thats all the rambling for now!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dakota, Mar 4 11:24 am

Dakota

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 6:57am PST 
As I'm sure you all know, Novartis has suspended production of their products. I had Dakota on Interceptor because she has collie in her, and I was told that Heartguard had something in it that could prove fatal to her. I need to put her on something, but I'm not sure what route to take. Any suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Merlin, Mar 4 11:43 am

Food & Nutrition > Help! Fearful of eating/wont eat
Dakota

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 6:51am PST 
Well...it looks like she will only eat her food with warm water or with water and some "good stuff". I don't know how I ended up with such a picky girl. Yes, I do give in after 4 or 5 days and doctor up her food, but I do that only after she's lost weight because it just breaks my heart. Even though she doesn't "starve" herself, per say, she will only eat a little to probably curb her growling tummy (which still doesn't work).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dakota, Mar 4 6:51 am

(Page 1 of 69: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.