Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Introducing Sweet Caroline
Droopy CD,- RA, HH, TDI,- CGC

I didn't do it

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 10:41am PST 
cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9Bassets are the best!cheercheercheercheer
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 19 2:03 am

Behavior & Training > Your dog/dogs best and worst breed-related trait?

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 6:45am PST 
Droopy- Basset
Best- Easy going, loves to learn and work, big personality.
Worst- Can't trust him off leash outdoors, prey drive.

Zippy- Basset
Best- stable as a rock
Worst- ultimate speedbump, not much personality.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Okami Amaterasu, Mar 1 7:25 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > bringing therapy dog to school for aat

I didn't do it

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:59am PST 
Try contacting Dr. Barbara Murray from the University of Central Florida. She created the C.A.R.E. program (Canine Assisted Reading Program) and has done research on therapy dogs in the school setting. She is also a school board member, so maybe she could help steer you in the right direction.

http://education.ucf.edu/faculty_detail.cfm?id=53
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Droopy CD, RA, HH, TDI, CGC, Dec 4 9:59 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > bringing therapy dog to school for aat

I didn't do it

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:28am PST 
I don't have any information on policy, but I would check your organizations rules on utilizing a therapy dog during paid work time. I was a teacher and utilized my registered therapy dog for a reading program after school. My dog was registered through Therapy Dogs, Inc. His insurance was not valid while I was getting paid, so I had to wait until after teacher hours were over to begin the reading program, which greatly reduced my target population. I assume that all the therapy dog programs are different, but mine was strictly a volunteer program. I was fortunate that my administration was very supportive and one of our school board members was very involved in therapy dog programs.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Droopy CD, RA, HH, TDI, CGC, Dec 4 9:59 am

Behavior & Training > Prepairing for Baby

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:26am PST 
hamster danceblue dogCongratulations!way to godancing

My little girl is almost two now, so we have recently gone through the baby preparation with the dogs. We put up a lot of gates throughout the house, so we could separate the baby from the dogs when needed. We put up the crib, swing, and all the endless paraphernalia out early, so the dogs could get used to it. We played baby crying cd's and made sure the dogs had really good down stays. We practiced spending some time in the house where the dogs couldn't be with us. We would watch tv for awhile in the living room with the dogs gated out of it. Of course we made sure they also got plenty of time with us and walks. I also had to start transitioning Droopy from being a performance dog trialing in open and training in utility to being a pet. He had the hardest time with reducing his work load. As my pregnancy progressed, I just didn't have the energy to train, and when the baby came, I didn't have the energy or time. We put up a doggie door, which was a life saver. We also put up a smaller potty area fence outside, so the dogs were double fenced in the back yard. My guys were not big door dashers, but as hounds if they got outside, they were going hunting. We put up a gate near our front door to allow us to get in and out of the house with all of the stroller and endless assortment of gear needed for the little one without worrying about the dogs getting out the front door. We also got in the habit of crating the dogs whenever food was out. Droopy gets a little carried away about food, so we have just managed it through prevention.

Before I came home from the hospital, my husband brought home a blanket from the baby and a dirty diaper. Let them acclimate to some of the smells.

We would also do random weird things to the dogs and then click and treat them. I would pull and ear and treat or randomly pull a tail and treat. Even watching a small child like a hawk, they are fast. As my little girl has grown, I have continued to highly reward the dogs anytime she falls on them or grabs them. Droopy has become obnoxious about it. He follows her around trying to get her to do something to him, so he will get a treat. They run around the house together. He howls and she giggles. We still have all of our gates up so the pups have plenty of interaction time with her, but they also have plenty of quiet time away from her.

Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Nov 9 6:26 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Which Dog Breed do you have...???

I didn't do it

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 12:40pm PST 
bassets
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Oct 3 9:13 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Your Top Three

I didn't do it

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 4:07pm PST 
culumber spaniel
black and tan coonhound
pharoah hound
[notify]
» There has since been 77 posts. Last posting by Dot, Sep 27 7:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Confessions of a bad owner...

I didn't do it

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 6:15am PST 
Droopy begs so badly when I eat that he will have a line of drool from his mouth to the floor. Usually, I give in and give him something.

At PetCo, he drags me across the store to the self-service treat bar and eats every single cookie that has dropped on the floor. He has even jumped up and stolen a cookie or two from the bar itself. He will go behind the counter when we check out in hopes of schmoozing cookies from the checker.

He pulls on the leash when we go for walks. He tries to chase cats and squirrels.

His outdoor, non trial recall is terrible. If there is a bunny around, I might as well not exist. His prey drive is off the chart.

Droopy is a dumpster diver and a counter surfer. I just manage these behaviors. I have done very little as far as training.

He is also my obedience dog and has done well in indoor trial settings. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 57 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Aug 22 7:02 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Good low energy breeds

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 8:56am PST 
I vote basset hounds too. They are great with my little one.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Lucy Belle, Aug 25 9:41 am

Puppy Place > Dogs replacing kids?

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:28am PST 
I fell into the camp of not wanting children. I was completely happy being involved with my dogs. I took them to class and trials all the time. I didn't feel like I had a void in my life. My husband did not feel the same way. He desperately wanted kids. I kept putting him off until we were both well established in our careers and owned our own home.

I finally agreed to have one after 10 years of marriage, but he would have to be the primary care taker. I was also terrified of bearing a child. I am a complete wimp when it comes to anything medical especially if it involves me. I got pregnant at 33.

I have to say that I fell completely in love with our little girl. She is 19 months old now. I could not imagine life without her. My pups are loved and cherished pets, but I am not nearly as active in the dog community as I once was. My priorities did change when she was born, but my dogs are still very important, loved members of our family. They are very good big brothers.

Our little girl was constantly sick in day care, so I volunteered to quit my job and stay home with her, which was a complete 180 from my previous beliefs. My life has changed in so many ways. I used to be very independent and go where I wanted when I wanted. No more. Child care is difficult. One of us always has to be with her, but I would not change it for the world.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Gizmo, Aug 20 7:04 pm

(Page 1 of 55: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.