Postings by Zoey

GO!

(Page 1 of 88: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Recipe for Calcium Oxalates?
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 10:16pm PST 
Next question, it says I should be feeding her about 4oz per day for her weight....she right now eats roughly 3/4 oz twice day so 1 & 1/2 oz a day and is FAT, so do I feed the 2oz twice a day and see how her weight is? Or should I start her at her 'normal' amount that she has been fed and adjust accordingly based on her weight? shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hershey, May 3 7:30 pm

Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 8:49pm PST 
Her pH is 6.5 right now, with Oxalates the target is 7.0, so we are working at increasing it. I found this recipe on the Dogaware website smile I had my dad (retired vet) look at it tonight and he said he thought it looked good. I have been reading that Calcium Citrate is better than Potassium Citrate as Potassium Citrate can elevate Potassium which can be dangerous.

I add B to the cat food recipe I make for my 2 raw fed kitties and they don't seem to mind it. I did make some of this up and Zoey likes it so far, so we shall see smile I hope it helps, I really would like to avoid the extremely low protein Hill's u/d diet for her if possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 3 7:30 pm

Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 1:49pm PST 
So my little Zoey has been on raw for 4 years, but still producing oxalate crystals. I have been doing a ton of research and have come up with the following recipe, does anybody know if it sounds okay?

1# 90% Lean ground beef (will be raw)
1# Lean Ground Turkey (will be raw)
6 oz canned Mackeral or Salmon (soaked to remove salt)
2 Large Eggs
1.6oz Beef Liver (raw)
1.6oz Beef Kidney (raw)
4oz plain yogurt
4oz Low Fat Cottage Cheese
3 cups cooked white rice
3.75oz each (totaling 15oz) of the following Veggies (cooked/pureed before adding)
Broccoli, Peas, Zuchini, Canned Pumpkin

This makes up about 18 days worth of food, fed 2oz twice daily for my 4# chihuahua. May have to change the amount fed as right now she is only getting about 3/4oz twice a day so this seems like a ton of food for her.

The following supplements added to the batch
Vit B Complex 50mg 5 tablets ground
Fish Oil 9 pumps (1000mg per pump)
Glucosamine MSM 6 tablets (1500mg each)
Vitamin E 400IU 2 capsules
Magnesium 500mg 3/4 capsule
Calcium Citrate 1000mg 3 tablets ground

Then 1/8 teaspoon of this mixture added at each meal
3 T Flax Meal Ground
4 Tablets Probiotic/Digestive Enzymes ground
18 Cranberry (500mg) capsules

All the research I have done says that rice helps bind the calcium in the urine so it wont form into crystals and then the veggies are all low oxalate and help with oxalates in the urine as well. The supplements were all chosen for their properties in helping Calcium Oxalates as well. I really would rather keep her on Prey Model Raw but obviously she needs something different. Her urine is coated in Crystals and they are causing her extreme pain when she urinates. So I have to change something.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 3 7:30 pm

Raw Food Diet > Calcium Oxalate Crystals on Raw

Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 10:26am PST 
Zoey already drinks a ton of water, her urine was a fresh catch and was tested right after collection. She had bloodwork done before as she is 8 & 1/2 years old and has been drinking and peeing a ton, but everything was normal. I have been reading that carbohydrates increase the Urine pH which makes it not as friendly for oxalate crystals. We did xray her and she has no stones at this time. Not sure where I am going to go with this. The vet wants her on the u/d diet, she is allergic to 2 of the ingredients Chicken (chicken fat) and Corn (Corn starch) so definitely don't want to go down that rabbit hole lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zoey, Apr 20 10:26 am

Raw Food Diet > Calcium Oxalate Crystals on Raw

Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sat Apr 19, '14 8:58pm PST 
Zoey has been raw fed for almost 4 years now (in July) and she has been peeing a ton a tiny amounts so off to the vet she went. I work there and this was the 1st time I took her, so of course this is being blamed on her diet, nevermind the fact that she has had crystals before she was on raw too, she has had struvite, oxalate and amorphous phosphate. So I am at a loss as to what I should do regarding her diet. She eats a rotation of pork, beef, chicken, turkey, mice, venison, rabbit, bison. Not sure what to do to prevent future problems. She isn't eating anything that's high in oxalates. Any ideas?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zoey, Apr 20 10:26 am

Raw Food Diet > Beef Heart
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sat Jan 25, '14 7:36pm PST 
Okay so I feed Zoey Prey Model Raw, however even after almost 4 years of raw, she still REFUSES organs unless I blend them into her meat mixtures. I make her up cubes that have the meat and the organs. I have a ton of beef heart and would like to incoorporate it into her regular feedings, how much can I add without it causing problems? Keep in mind she only eats about 1 & 1/2oz per day. Is it something that in small amounts can be fed on a daily basis?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 6 4:08 pm

Raw Food Diet > Feeding for Diabetes

Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sun Jan 5, '14 10:11am PST 
Thank you for the information. I feel like my brain is fried. She was on steroids a lot when she was younger for various reasons, allergies etc, so I think that may have contributed to the diabetes, although she has been off of all meds except one for hydrocephalus since I switched her to raw. I have been looking at so much information about diabetes. Most everything is telling me high fiber diet...yeah not going down that route. My hubby is diabetic so we already have a test kit which will make things easier, she's just so darn tiny (4#) it's gonna make it hard to get blood out of her. But we shall give it our best shot. I can easily draw blood out of large breed dogs. I am going to have a full chemistry panel ran on her on Tuesday when I go back to work.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zoey, Jan 5 10:11 am

Raw Food Diet > Feeding for Diabetes

Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 9:46pm PST 
Any changes I should make in her diet? She's been on Prey Model Raw for 3 years. I don't have a firm diagnoses yet but want to make sure all my bases are covered. Right now she gets it balanced once a week with 2 out of 14 meals with bone in them. Then I make her mixtures of meat into ice cube shaped cubes that have her organ meat in them, she gets them twice a day. That is the ONLY way I can get her to eat organs is if she doesn't know they are in her meat lol. I also give her whole prey mice once a week. She gets varied meats of turkey, chicken, pork and beef, sometimes venison and bison.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zoey, Jan 5 10:11 am

Dog Health > Diabetes

Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 9:43pm PST 
Well I haven't been here for a long time, have had a very healthy pup. But now I may be dealing with Diabetes in my little Chihuahua Zoey. She just turned 8 years old in October. She has been drinking and peeing a lot, her appetite is always voracious (she's always been that way) and eats food like it's her last meal. She quit eating and hasn't eaten for 24 hours so I took her up to my dad (retired vet) and she has a throat infection. I had him do a glucose on her and it was 235 (normal is up to 120) and that is with her not eating for 24 hours. So we are going to recheck it tomorrow and see where it is. If it's still high then we'll have to put her on insulin and do a glucose curve at the vet I work for. She's on a Raw diet and has been for about 3 years. Any tips on dealing with diabetes?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Pharaoh (In Memory), Feb 26 8:15 am

Dog Health > Allergies-Whats worked best for you
Zoey

Zoom Zoom Zoom

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 6:48pm PST 
I agree it would be highly unlikely for a 3 month old pup to have allergies....The BEST thing by far that I did for Zoey's allergies was switching her to Prey Model Raw, yes we still battle environmental allergies however flare ups and symptoms are minimal compared to what they were. I use Antioxidants (Vit C, Vit E, Zinc, Selenium) for Zoey's allergies. During the summer I also use Honey from local bee's.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Nighque, Jan 23 4:57 am

(Page 1 of 88: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.