Postings by Tiny

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Have you ever saved your pawrents life?
Tiny

Tiny- All Heart with a- Big Bark.

Barked: Wed Nov 15, '06 12:36pm PST 
Though not saving my life, Tiny did present his saving method when I had a seizure. He tried to awaken me and when that did not work he ran into the living room to "get help". Tiny had never trained to alert for seizures, but he showed his true colors. Since that day, I have always trusted his instinct to warn me.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 4 1:20 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > I have a great fear of Fireworks and gunfire what can I do to get past this fear?
Tiny

Barked: Mon Oct 2, '06 8:33pm PST 
Tiny hates fireworks, thunder, and gunfire. If you are by Bruce's side to let him know everything is all right, it will help him, but you cannot break the fear IMO. Growing up on the farm, we had pups from a litter of dogs. At about 6 weeks of age, we knew which ones would be good "gun dogs". Those that were afraid, could be acclimated but never got over the fear.

For Tiny, he stays indoors when the loud noise happens. I have tried the foam ear plugs, but he did not like them. I think being by Bruce's side to let him know the leader of the pack is alright will help him. My parents have a Doberman who hates thunder. She wants to sit next to my parents when the thunder approaches. If she feels safe, she will remain calm.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by J├Ąger, Oct 13 10:26 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster SD Classification Question

Tiny

Barked: Wed Sep 6, '06 7:16pm PST 
SD's serve a single mistress or master. SAR's work for the public, that is, many persons benefit from SAR's. A cattle dog may serve a single mistress or master, but they are working for a healthy person. If the cattle dog helped their disabled mistress or master in addition to cattle driving, then I would call them a SD.

By the same token, a therapy dog may fall into the Service Group, but I consider them a working dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Blu, Jan 15 9:01 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Backpacks?

Tiny

Barked: Sat Aug 26, '06 1:35pm PST 
When we go to the library or to the store Tiny uses a Wolfpack. As for water, I keep a stainless pail in the truck with a couple of gallons of water. As he eats early morning and evening, we do not worry about carrying food.. The stainless pail is small and cleans easily. I often fill it with ice cubes and water when we are out. Tiny also enjoys putting his whole mouth in the water.

Wolf Packs come in different sizes. I chose Tiny's size based upon his expected adult size. It fits over his mobility harness and can carry many books. We tried it when he was still a pup and it was too big! Now it is just right.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Sep 9 11:04 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > ADA?!?!

Tiny

Barked: Sat Aug 26, '06 1:26pm PST 
I believe that their request for a 72 hour notification violates your equal access rights. I know that at the fair here there is a sign to keep dogs out of the cattle barns, but we were allowed entry. I think I would call them and see why they require a 72 hour notification. Then I would pass the info to your state disability rights advocate.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sir. Tuxanawlden SDIT, Aug 28 12:13 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > balance dogs
Tiny

Barked: Sat Aug 26, '06 1:22pm PST 
The weight of the adult dog should be primary. This wight should be as close to your weight as possible. This will allow your SD to remain healthy for a longer time.Size can be overcome with a proper harness handle.

Tiny is an English Mastiff. I chose him first on weight, but now he is heavier than me. Still, he can balance me quite well and is very broad at the shoulders. Chose your SD by weight and disposition. Make sure your SD has sturdy shoulders where your weight needs to rest.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tiny, Aug 26 1:22 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > is it too late?

Tiny

Barked: Mon Jul 3, '06 8:42am PST 
Never too late IMO. If your Boxer has reached "listening" maturity, then the time would be most productive.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tiny, Jul 3 8:42 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Problem with other dogs behind Cindy

Tiny

Barked: Mon May 29, '06 8:02am PST 
You might ask the handler of the other dog to give your SD space. Handlers are responsible for any problems their dogs may cause and should give Cindy her space. Dogs do not like to be approached from behind due to their natural instinct to ward off attacks.

If the handler will not give you space and does not allow Cindy to do her job, ask for the persons name or photograph them and file an ADA complaint. It may seem unfriendly, but Cindy is your partner and not a pet.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sabrina 2000~2012, May 29 6:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dogs and Prescriptions?

Tiny

Barked: Mon May 29, '06 7:58am PST 
Have your doctor run a battery of tests including gait for yourself. Your doctor should be able to write a letter on your behalf stating the need for a SD. This is not a prescription, but it is a medical letter. I had a similar letter written when I applied for SSDI and Medicare. I also had to have such a letter when I applied for my drivers license.

Prescriptions are normally reserved for expenses to be paid by an insurance provider.

Check with the college to see if a medical letter would suffice. If a doctor necessitates the SD, I do not see how they could refuse.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sabrina 2000~2012, May 29 9:16 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Educating kids about Service Dogs
Tiny

Barked: Fri Apr 14, '06 6:47pm PST 
After two years going to school for my kids, most children know Tiny and are often better behaved than adults. Adults in a retail store cause more obstacles than children IMO. I had to laugh the other day when a mom was surprised to see Tiny in the store and her daughter replied, "oh that's just Tiny". No one knows my name, but they remember Tiny!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 22 10:10 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.