Postings by Summer

GO!

(Page 1 of 211: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > My husband says NO...
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 11:02pm PST 
Tell your husband that if he says no to the free balls, you're just going to buy them from the store anyway. So why not just get them if the farmer would be willing to give them to you for FREE?

I never understand why men are so squidgy about feeding male reproductive organs. I never have any issue eating chicken BREAST.

Besides, saying no to FREE FOOD is just foolishness in my opinion.. Plus, they do count as organs. It's FREE!!! what's there not to understand? shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nukka, Jul 12 5:00 am

Raw Food Diet > A few questions about brains :D
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 12:58am PST 
I believe kidneys also secrete a bunch of hormones, as well as serving as the body's natural filtration system. Whatever the case, there is probably value in every part of the body when taken in as the approximate correct proportion making up the whole...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Summer, Jun 22 12:58 am

Raw Food Diet > A few questions about brains :D

Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 2:50am PST 
Actually, the brain does include glands that secrete certain hormones. I'd say I'd play on the safe side and not include brains too much in the general diet - generally in the proportion of a generic prey animal and you're pretty set. Much like how I decide what and how much to feed Summer. You sort of build a prey-model in your head of the proportion of muscle to bone to organs and feed accordingly. But yes if you're thinking of up til October, I can't imagine it would be so bad to forgo kidney for the interim period. Enjoy the BBBRRRRAAAAAIIINNNNSSSSSSS!!!! Summer loves them.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Summer, Jun 22 12:58 am

Raw Food Diet > What to start on other than poultry?

Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Wed May 25, '11 4:50am PST 
I started Summer on whiting - a small, not too oily white fish.

Just a note, allergies are not necessarily forever. When Summer first started raw, she couldn't tolerate raw eggs - it gave her the runs in the worst way.

Then about a year into it, N from Prey for Pets dropped in a freebie for us in one of our orders - a lb of frozen egg yolks.

I thought, what the hey, gave one to Summer just to see, and she was fine on it. Since then, she's been happily nomming eggs every couple of days or so.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kitsune, May 25 7:40 am

Dog Health > Researching natural flea and tick prevention alternatives

Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 5:57am PST 
I moved to South East Asia. I'm no longer in Brooklyn. Sorry but I'm lazy about changing my profile.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, May 17 9:11 pm

Dog Health > Researching natural flea and tick prevention alternatives
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 10:59pm PST 
I live in the tropics and do not use any topicals - not even "natural" sprays - and do not have a flea or tick problem.

FWIW, it's NOT illegal to not vaccinate where I live (we are rabies free) and I don't vaccinate for anything either.

I feed my dog a raw prey model diet, practice classical homeopathy as and when the need arises, eschew allopathic medicine for non-life threatening stuff for both myself and my dog. She rarely gets sick and when she does, it tends to be an aggravation/reaction to an ill-timed homeopathic dose, which clears up within a day. I have been falling ill more myself but it's more due to working 70+ hours a week for the past few months than anythign else.

I dare anyone to call me "neglectful" just because I follow a different protocol than conform to majority opinion.

To the OP, I agree with Moochi - the healthier host does not make an attractive option to a parasite. How you feel you want to travel down that path towards better health is your decision. For me, I made my own choices to rely on classical homeopathy, a species appropriate diet, lots of exercise, and eradicating as many chemical presences in our lives as possible. Works for me and Summer.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, May 17 9:11 pm

Raw Food Diet > Lots of dark blood in urine. Help please.

Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Wed May 4, '11 10:18pm PST 
Are her gums pale? Is she showing any signs of depressed energy - even a little? I'd get them to check for any TBDs - blood in urine and pale gums are symptoms of TBDs. Is she showing a fever?

Summer went through the same thing two years ago - I first started noticing blood on Day 1 in her urine, then by Day 2, she came down with a severe case of canis babesiosis. Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crouton, May 5 12:05 pm

Dog Health > Lost about Tick control

Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 4:34am PST 
I don't know about the curly-haired dogs, but I do know that running your whole flat palms along the body slowly helps you to identify any attached ticks.

Luckily for us, even though it's tick central here (tropics), I rarely find them on Summer.

I stay away from any topicals and flea meds, so my best defense is to go over her nightly. And yes, they do like to nestle in between the toes and in the crevices of the paw pads underside, so make sure to check those.

It takes from 24 - 48 hrs for them to transmit any diseases into the bloodstream according to my vet.

FYI the best way to get rid of a tick is to dunk it in a bottle of alcohol. Flushing it down the toilet unfortunately doesn't guarantee its demise. Not that it will crawl back, but it may very well survive that and bite another hapless creature. I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol in my cupboard for this - we call it the Tick Graveyard. They die pretty instantly the moment you drop it in alcohol.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 20 4:23 am

Raw Food Diet > what fat do you cut off?

Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 4:05am PST 
I tend to only trim off the excessive suet (hardened fat) you see around organs from conventionally raised farm animals. Other that that, I tend to feed as is as well here.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Adam, Apr 19 8:15 pm

Raw Food Diet > Kong for supplements
Summer

Have a Nice Day!

Barked: Thu Apr 7, '11 6:28am PST 
Tripe? It's pretty stinky so it may mask any smells they may be picking up from the supps?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Summer, Apr 7 6:28 am

(Page 1 of 211: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.