GO!

(Page 1 of 199: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Coyotes, your dog, and what's okay.
Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 7:11pm PST 
We've got coyotes and "coy-wolf" hybrids in our area.
We frequently hike with the dogs off-leash and have had 1 encounter. 6 years ago, Oz was off doing his "hunting" thing as we hiked. 2 either very large coyotes, or coywolves approached him and attacked.
He *survived* and made a full recovery.

It seemed almost as though they were harming him for sport, and not to kill. At the time he was around 20lbs, possibly a little less, and these coyotes had to be on the higher end of 60lbs. My mother approached them yelling, and they simply walked away - no fear.

Obviously since then she's learned to not hike at that particular area in the early morning, and have not had any encounters since.

I sincerely doubt they'd be foolish enough to approach you with even 1 Akita, let alone 2. As far as I'm aware, at least in my area, they are not considered to be a protected species and there isn't a whole lot legally that would be done if your dogs were to harm or kill one. They're wild animals, not someone's pet. Add on if you state that they were protecting you, I'd assume you're fairly safe on that end.
- I would however be a bit concerned as coyotes are walking diseases essentially. They are known to carry a whole bunch of nasty diseases.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 23 7:20 am

Behavior & Training > What didn't you have to work on with your pup?
Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Tue Nov 12, '13 4:25am PST 
Teaching fetch....that's about it. laugh out loud
He came home at 6 weeks old (yes I now know that's not good), and was shoving a massive tennis ball the size of his head into his mouth and bringing it to us to throw.
Never had to teach any part of it, he always had an excellent return with it. Eventually we got tired of sitting on the floor with him to play, and so we said "Oz I can't reach" and he would bring the ball up to our laps.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 13 8:41 am

Puppy Place > What is the most rare breed you have ever met?

Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 11:24am PST 
We met a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen this weekend!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Oct 18 8:00 pm

Behavior & Training > How talkative is your dog?

Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 5:43pm PST 
shrugshrugshrug
I'm wondering if by "talkative" they simply mean barky?
Because, by my definition of "talkative", my beagle is the LEAST so of my 3.

Cobain and Rigby sound like a pack of deranged animals when they want something.
(Cobain's Aroooo roo roo, and Rigby's seal like ow ow ow).
Cobain especially has quite the wide array of "talking" sounds he makes depending on what he wants.

But Oz? Aside from when he's on the hunt, I barely hear a sound from him. And again I would consider it more of a bay or bark opposed to "talking"
shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 17 5:04 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rescues Unwittingly Promoting Designer Breeds/Pockets, etc.

Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 4:12pm PST 
I used to feel this way, and to an extent still do. Especially since I am asked if Oz is a "pocket beagle" a few times per year.

The way I see it, yes, by using terms such as "pocket" "teacup" and others that are used by poor breeders, it is going to come off as promoting them.

However, it's terms such as these that draw some people that typically may not look to rescue in. Even in this day and age, there's still a lot of negative association with shelter/rescue dogs and mutts.

I feel that as long as the rescue attempts to educate the potential adopter after they are interested, then there's little issue.
"We use the term "pocket" to help draw attention to the dogs and educate potential adopters. While he is a tiny pit bull mix, the term "pocket" is really just a made up word to get people to purchase puppies from bad breeders" Or something along the lines of.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 15 8:24 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.
Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Thu Mar 21, '13 5:54am PST 
laugh out loud That's a new one!

We tend to get that because there's 2 of them, they have to be one of each.
Which in my case now, it's true. But when it was just Cobain and Oz, Cobain "had to be a girl because you can't have 2 of the same gender"

shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by , May 5 10:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Monks of New Skete?

Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:39pm PST 
This thread is nearly FOUR years old.
What was the point in bringing it back up?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 28 6:44 am

Dog of the Day & Week > Oz is Dog of the Day!!!

Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:33am PST 
Thanks Dogster snoopysnoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 24 12:06 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Apartment Friendly Dogs < 30lbs

Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 12:58pm PST 
I've always been a firm believer that the size of the dwelling doesn't matter.
I currently have a Border Collie and a Kelpie mix together living in a 1 bedroom apartment quite happily. (Although you'll want to check breed restrictions on your place out of course)

I'd take a look at the shelter/rescue and maybe just ask about quieter dogs - just to please the landlord and other tenants lol.
I still like the hound idea, however that may be an issue if noise could be a problem. Or maybe a small terrier mix? That may be a little bit more energy than you're looking for though
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 12:58 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > The dreaded Second Dog Question- Would like recommendations please
Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 7:02am PST 
What about another beagle - or hound type dog?
I've found that typically similar type dogs tend to get along the best. That's not to say a beagle couldn't get along famously with another breed, but a beagle may work out well as you've already got the experience with Jake and sort of know what to expect. If of course you're looking for another beagle that is.
Plus beagles are typically famous for their love for children smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 18 12:32 am

(Page 1 of 199: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.