Postings by Bully's Beau

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Choosing the Right Dog > Breeds That Do Well in Hot Climates
Bully's Beau

I'm a sexy- beast, NOT an- aggressive one!

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 8:14pm PST 
Well, I live in a hotter climate, and it seems like poodles, rottweilers, great danes, american bulldogs and APBTs are pretty common big dogs around here, not to mention tolerate the heat well. Unfortunately, I Beau the akita do not tolerate the heat well at all. Instead, I spend much of my time lounging inside.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012*, Jan 6 12:47 pm

Dog Health > Ear Infection due to food allergy?
Bully's Beau

Barked: Sat Jan 3, '09 7:49pm PST 
Beau used to get really, REALLY bad allergies and has been diagnosed with a staph infection a few times from scratching so much. So, maybe that was why your dog's ear got infected? Perhaps allergies allowed it to get irritated and then infected. Fortunately, you can trace it back to the food. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Casey, Jan 4 2:39 pm

Dog Health > Problems with my Pit

Bully's Beau

Barked: Thu Jan 1, '09 6:41pm PST 
Well, I don't know about pits and allergies, but Beau has the worst skin allergies. It's somewhat common in akitas I suppose. He gets scaly, oily stinky places and has to take weekly benadryl shots. In addition he's gotten several staph infections which cause hot spots and fever. Yuck! So that could be a cause if the other turns up negative. good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jessie, Jan 3 6:52 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Top 5 things to know about YOUR breed!

Bully's Beau

Barked: Wed Dec 31, '08 8:57pm PST 
AKITA

1. They're one person dogs. They pick their pack leader and are devoted to them absolutely. If they feel like that person is being threatened, they will protect them.
2. They shed A LOT! Think it snowed indoors in August? Think again. It's dog hair. And from personal experience, no furminator can tame the Great Shed! My mother brushes Beau twice a day during this time, and still the house is covered in hair.
3. They're not aggressive and horrible. People who are unfamiliar with the breed, lump them in with all the other persecuted breeds such as rottweilers, pit bulls, GSDs, etc. And just like all of these other breeds do not live up to their reputation as killing machines, neither do akitas. They sometimes do show dog and animal aggression, and this is particularly prevalent in the strain of akita that was bred for dog fighting. And all the akitas originated from a dog used to hunt big game, so some dogs exhibit quite a prey drive. However, human aggression is minimal. The exception is when they feel their family/person is threatened. Just like any breed really!
4. Akitas can be prone to skin allergies which can be costly to manage and can cause misery for the dog.
5. And last (and one of my favorite things BOL) they have GINORMOUS feet. Beau's feet are as big as my fist. I love it! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 60 posts. Last posting by Mya CGC TDI, Oct 25 2:42 pm

Dog Health > Dogs in the snow = cruelty?

Bully's Beau

Barked: Mon Dec 22, '08 10:25pm PST 
Well, not like it snows all that often around here, but when it does Beau loves to be out in it! He's an akita, so it's like a holiday for him from the TX weather. laugh out loud Of course, these days he doesn't get out much due to arthritis, but he used to adore the cold weather when it got cold enough to snow.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Boston, Dec 24 9:23 am

Food & Nutrition > Some important questions!
Bully's Beau

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 7:34pm PST 
Hmm. Even as I post I feel that I have no business trying to answer these questions, but still. shrug In regards to predatory instincts as it pertains to your first question. Maybe it depends on the dog?! My parents dogs Beau and Buddy and a neighbor's dog once tracked, stalked, surrounded, caught and mauled a wild hog. They didn't kill it because people stepped in and stopped them from it, but it sure looked and sounded predatory to me! This is not the first creature they have attempted to (or succeeded) to kill. And my dog Lily (ok, so cut me a little slack here...there are no prey critters living in our house, desired or otherwise) will track and stalk every bug that comes through the house. But all three of these dogs are originally hunting dogs if you trace them back: akita, beagle (mix) and dachshund.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bully's Beau, Nov 12 7:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Akitas?

Bully's Beau

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 4:40pm PST 
Taz, hmm. I suppose I've been misinformed by my research. Lame! That's too bad, but I'll have to check out that book. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by In loving memory of Cinnamon ~, Dec 4 1:04 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Akitas?

Bully's Beau

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 5:48pm PST 
I'll start by saying what everyone else has said: akitas are somewhat of a challenge, and you have to be ready for them. Obviously, you are an experienced dog owner, so that's not a big worry. But still...akitas were bred to hunt big game and certain lines evolved to be fighting dogs as well. They're a little tough. That said, they are amazing dogs! They are generally one person dogs. They'll latch themselves to their person and can tolerate other people ok, but their loyalty rests with their person. There are two different types of akitas in the world today: the American and the Japanese types. The American type is descended from the fighting dogs and are somewhat thicker and often are bicolored. They were originally bred with GSDs to save the akita from extinction in the early 1900's when the akita's fur was used for clothing soldiers. GSDs were valuable service dogs, so they bred them with akitas to protect them. The Japanese Akita, on the other hand, is descended from the big game hunting dogs. It is more square and usually brindle or cream in color. Beau is an example of the Japanese standard. Both types are intensely loyal to their people and will aim to please and protect their person as mentioned above. From what I understand an intact Akita is aggressive towards other dogs, so I would very seriously consider spaying or neutering an akita when there are other dogs around. Beau is neutered, and we've had no problems with him being around other dogs at all though he seems to get along better with bigger dogs than with my little ones whom he merely tolerates. Cats and cows are a completely different matter though. He gladly will chase both though my parents have trained him not to chase their cattle. My mom also walks him about two miles everyday...sometimes less now that he's 12 years old. Anyways, I hoped all my jabbering helps. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by In loving memory of Cinnamon ~, Dec 4 1:04 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > If you were wondering about akitas...

Bully's Beau

Barked: Wed Sep 3, '08 9:16pm PST 
I can see the akita in you, Hershey. Beau isn't as stocky as the American akitas either, but he's the picture of the Japanese one. I guess the person my parents got him from knew what he was talking about! laugh out loud JK! Of course, he did. Still, it's interesting how there is such a difference between the two strains.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kiona CGC, Sep 3 10:01 pm

Akita > Akita Training Questions
Bully's Beau

Barked: Fri Aug 29, '08 2:11am PST 
Well, for starters you have to teach them that you're the boss from puppyhood. Beau looks to my mother for direction and assurance for certain. She is THE BOSS LADY!!! In addition, Beau was socialized from puppyhood with other dogs. Consequently, when my mom's other dog passed away, he became really depressed. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't go on walks, just stared off into space. Another dog showed up and he was back to his normal self though! thinking Beau is of the Japanese standard, however, and from what I understand the American standard is a tad more dog aggressive than the Japanese standard. Though Beau doesn't get along with other animals at all. He doesn't do cats or small creatures at all, and the bigger ones (cows, goats and horses) he ignores. I really think the key with Beau from the start was teaching him that Mom was the boss and was to be obeyed if he wanted to play, to eat, to go outside, etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Stella, Mar 5 4:39 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.