Postings by Jake

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > How many attacks is "too many"?
Jake

Don't worry,- I'll protect- you!!

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 9:44pm PST 
I'm so terribly sorry for what you are going through, I understand how horrible it is to be in that position.

I guess I just want to say that no matter what anyone tells you, you have to do what you think in your heart is right for you and Bruno, and if that means putting him to sleep that's okay too. When it comes down to it, it is you who has to take care of him, and ensure that he doesn't hurt anyone. And it can be so hard when YOU know what a great dog he is and that he would never hurt you...

I was in a similar situation with my Jakob this summer. I cried for days. Decided to have him put to sleep. Cancelled my appointment last minute. Jake is living with a friend of mine now who runs a rescue. He's adjusted to his new life, and so far he hasn't hurt anyone else... but I am still fearful of the day it happens and this time I won't be there to protect him, it will be up to my friend. Ultimately... I would have put Jake to sleep.. to protect him from himself.

I'm starting to ramble.. but I wanted you to know that whatever you choose.. it's your choice.. and don't let negative things some people might say bring you down. I can tell you love Bruno very much, and he has already been so very lucky to have found an owner like you.

Be strong. If you ever would like to talk or cry or anythin, you can send a pmail this way.

*hugs*
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kali, Dec 21 5:31 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > put an aggressive dog to sleep? HELP!
Jake

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 6:08pm PST 
Hello pups..

Thanks again to everyone for their words of understanding and sympathies.

Jake is doing well in his new home. I'm good friends with his new daddy who runs the rescue, so I still see him every couple days, and so does Tink. So far it's been working for everyone.

To see Jake and all his adoptable brothers and sisters go to www.localdogrescue.com and watch the videos. smile you might even see me and Tink. hehe

Again.. thank you everyone. Take care!
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by Baxter, Dec 17 9:11 pm

Jake

Barked: Tue Sep 12, '06 8:07pm PST 
Hello again everyone.

Thanks to everyone for their posts, I've read them all as well as all my pmails. I'm sorry for such a long overdue update.. I have actually moved 2000km away, so I've been without internet for a while.

After speaking with my vet (who said he thought it was the right decision) I made an appointment to have Jake put to sleep after his quarantine period was over.

However, I did not keep this appointment. Jake actually made the 21 hour drive up here with me and Tinkerbelle. He is now living with a good friend of mine. My friend runs a rescue (www.localdogrescue.com) and he has taken Jake in to work with him.

I must admit I am still somewhat aprehensive about this situation... as I know there is still the possibility that Jake could hurt someone. However I trust my friend and his ability with dogs, as well as his love for dogs, and I know Jake is in the best hands right now.

To all of you who sent me pmails and left your messages of compassion and understanding.. THANK YOU. I cannot tell you what it means to me to know that there are people who truly understand. And it's true... no one who hasn't been through it can really even begin to comprehend the situation. No one WANTS to put a dog to sleep...

I love Jake, and it is because of that love that I was considering putting him to sleep. To those of you who don't understand that... you might never. In some ways I feel like my decision to rehome Jake is only a temporary bandaid to solve this problem.. but if there is one last thing I can do for Jake in hopes of helping him.. this is it. I truly hope his aggression is something I never have to think about again. For now, I know he is happy. He has adjusted quite well to life with his new daddy and about 10 new brothers and sisters. He goes for car rides everyday, and has a big backyard to run in. And his new Daddy lets him have Timbits so he's a happy camper. Tinkerbelle and I are living only about 15 minutes away, and Tink and I go over to see him a couple times a week, so he still has his mommy and sister.

To everyone who shared, again thank you, and my thoughts go out to all of you who have been or are going through similar situations. If anyone ever needs a shoulder to cry on or someone to talk to, please don't hestitate to email me. To the rest, I hope you are never faced with making such a decision about your dog.

Alix

Jacques, mon coeur... je t'aime.
[notify]
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by Baxter, Dec 17 9:11 pm

Jake

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 6:30pm PST 
Thank you all so much for your input.

I am going to see my vet tomorrow to discuss things with him.

I feel so guilty for even considering putting Jake to sleep as an option. But when I think back on everyone we've been through, I feel as though I'm always making excuses for his behaviour. But I can't this time... he snapped out of control completely unprovoked... and who knows when this could happen again and if that ends in tragedy?

I have always done whatever I can to keep Jake out of situations I know cause him stress, for his safety and the safety of everyone else. He is almost always leashed(the exception being vacation this week), and I never leave him unattended with someone he doesn't know. It's not that Jake is disobedient or out of control... 90% of the time he listens and is just fine. But it's that uncertain 10% that I don't know if I can risk anymore.

I feel like at this point I have 3 choices: a) ignore what has happened and let it happen again b) keep him leashed and muzzled and virtually away from almost all human contact other than myself or c) put him to sleep.

I feel like no matter which one of these I chose, I'm screwed. It's a lose lose situation. Obviously I can't pretend this didn't happen and risk someone else being hurt. And Jake already lives so protected and sheltered because of this that if I do it any more it almost seems cruel. And well if I put him to sleep, I've just killed my own dog.

As much as I wish there was something more I could do "see a behaviourist" "go to obedience classes" etc... I just don't feel like these are even really options. Jake, like I said is obedient and well behaved most of the time. I know he does have fear aggression issues and I have found ways of dealing with these situations when they arise, and avoiding them if possible. But now that he has started showing aggression for no apparent reason? It just seems like such a big risk.

I'm so MESSED UP right now I don't even know what to think anymore. I can barely look at Jake and I can barely talk to anyone I know about it because I either get yelled at for letting him hurt someone and told to put him down or I get yelled at for giving up on him and even considering putting him down.

frown I'm sorry, just needed to vent I guess.
[notify]
» There has since been 137 posts. Last posting by Baxter, Dec 17 9:11 pm

Jake

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 2:55pm PST 
I am hardly able to bring Jake anywhere, because of how he is around strange people. When I do bring him out, I stay the hell away from other people because Jake is more aggressive on a leash than anywhere else. When this happened I was at a family members cottage and there was no one around that Jake hadn't met. I was just putting the dogs into the car when another man got out of his car at a cottage up the way and Jake took off. It was my fault I suppose for not having him leashed. But I guess I figured in the middle of the woods we'd be alright. Apparently not.
Please understand that I am a responsible dog owner and knowing Jake's issues i am VERY careful with him. But I feel like I spend SO much energy protecting him that I can't do anything else. I can't have people over, I can't bring him anywhere. I'm just so torn because as much as I've tried to socialize him, he's wonderful with some people and then wants to kill others.
I just don't know what a life it is for Jake to always be on a 4 foot leash and not be allowed to go places. But taking him places and having people over etc only puts people ar risk. I know it sounds HORRIBLE to say, but Jake is almost a liability at times.
frown
[notify]
» There has since been 146 posts. Last posting by Baxter, Dec 17 9:11 pm

Jake

Barked: Thu Aug 3, '06 2:09pm PST 
I'm looking for some advice/input/support from other dogster members who've maybe been down the same road...

Today Jake attacked someone. Completely unprovoked. The man's shorts were ripped and he had 2 bites on his thigh. This isn't the first time Jake has bitten someone. But it is the worst.

I got Jake when he was 6 months old. He'd been abused, and has always had "issues". Jake is a good dog. Always wagging his tail, always excited and always eager to please. But his other side... is out of control and unpredictable.

I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I have no other choice but to put him to sleep, for my sake, for his sake, and for the sake of other people. His behaviour issues or not so much an everyday occurance but rather random, unpredictable outbursts. One minute he's fine, the next he's not. With one stranger he's fine, the next he wants to eat. I feel like, as much as I hate to say it... he's a ticking time bomb. I don't know when and with who but he's going to really hurt someone one day... he already has hurt people.

I love my dog, and I've been crying all day about this. I don't want to let him go... but I don't know what else to do. I can only protect him from so much... I can't save him from himself. I already take so many precautions, and he already lives on such a short leash ( no pun intended)... I can't just keep him indoors and locked in a room away from any human contact... but it seems I can't trust him with anyone because he's so unpredictable.

I won't take Jake to the Humane Society.... because I know he will not make it out. He is already 6 and with his history of aggression no one will take him. And I feel like even if someone did.... he will still be this way... and he can still hurt someone... it will just be someone else dealing with it all, and I don't want that.

Everyone I talk to either says putting him to sleep is the right thing to do, even though it's hard... or that it's NOT the right thing and that I need to try harder/more etc.

I don't know what to do. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 149 posts. Last posting by Baxter, Dec 17 9:11 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Dogs deserve better

Jake

Barked: Tue Jul 4, '06 2:33pm PST 
I think it's an wonderful statement these people are making. I wish I could have signed up!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Fuzzy Huskies Dog Team, Jul 18 5:47 pm

Party Time & Virtual Play Dates > Happy Birthday toooo meeee!....

Jake

Barked: Thu Jun 29, '06 7:15pm PST 
Bonne fête!!! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by ♥ ZOE ♥, Jul 1 8:11 am

Party Time & Virtual Play Dates > IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! ....well, sort of.

Jake

Barked: Wed Jun 28, '06 11:29am PST 
Bonne Fête Tinky!!

Check out the snazzy bandanas mommy brought us from Québec!!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Tama, Jun 29 12:12 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Question for Therapy Dogs regarding passing away
Jake

Barked: Thu Mar 2, '06 3:44pm PST 
First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss. *hugs*

I used to work at a nursing home, and we had a cat. Well, this cat wandered about freely, but a couple of days before a resident would die... the cat would not leave that residents room. It was kinda strange, because whenever the cat started to hang around someone, we knew it was coming soon... we weren't sure if the cat was jinxed, or if he just could sense the resident was going to pass away. hehe

I think he knew. Animals really are amazing like that. Jake is very aware of when I'm sad, or upset or somethings wrong, he'll comfort me. Tinkerbelle on the other hand is oblivious. I've always wondered why some dogs have it, and some dogs don't.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jake, Mar 2 3:44 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.