Postings by Kitai

GO!

(Page 1 of 432: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Does Anyone Feed Prather Ranch Raw?
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 6:32pm PST 
I'm not. I'm buying it from Prather Ranch itself since they have a booth each week at the Farmers' Market I go to. I don't live in SF (it would be a 2 hour round trip) so picking up meat from their co-op might be problematic at times. I'm also trying to focus on purchasing only humane certified animal products.

Thank you for the tips! I appreciate the insights about the organ meat and bone ratios. I guess I'll have to really study into this in more depth as it won't be as easy to figure out as I thought.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 10:55 pm

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 11:47am PST 
They just answered there are organs, not the percentage of organs to meat. But I can purchase raw meaty bones from them and if need be grind them down or feed whole?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 10:55 pm

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 10:38am PST 
Just heard back...

"The meat consists of small chunks of meat from the head and small pieces of partially dried meat from the carcass. In big plants this meat is used in lunch meat and hot dogs. We end up with some darker partially dried meat in our dry aging process. We trim it from the outside of the steaks and other cuts and save it for pet food."

So it doesn't sound like any bone is ground into the meat.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 10:55 pm

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 7:56pm PST 
Hi Kolbe,

Thanks for asking. I'm not sure so I just sent them a message asking about what organs are used and is there bone ground in as well. Will post again when I hear from them.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 10:55 pm

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 7:34pm PST 
Am hoping someone can take a moment to instruct me how to best convert Kitai to the raw dog food offered by Prather Ranch. It's ground beef (organic, humane certified and each batch is from a single cow) with organ meat ground in.

Currently he's been on holistic, grain-free kibbles for years (EVO, Orijen, etc.) I normally feed him a cup per day, 1/2 in the AM and 1/2 in the PM.

I can also buy him other raw cuts and raw meaty bones at our local farmer's market as they have a booth there each Sunday.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 10:55 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Beauceron vs. similar breeds
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 5:33pm PST 
One more thing. Grooming. The Beauceron does not have the thick undercoat that Rotties have. Their undercoat is much lighter. The best way I can describe them is they are a heavier boned and coated breed than a Doberman but a lighter boned and coated breed than the Rotties.

I used to bathe him outside with a hose in the summertime because he loved the water. When he was a puppy, long before he needed a bath, I would take him in the bathroom each day and taught him to step into the tub for a cookie. When he got older that's all I had to do was tell him to get in the tub and he would.

He also loved if I vacuumed him with the vacuum attachment. Not sure if all Beacuerons are that easy going but he was.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Oct 27 2:22 am

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 5:26pm PST 
The breeder offered to let my husband and I fly up and stay at his home to decide which puppy to take. Just that he offered was enough for me to trust him.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Oct 27 2:22 am

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 5:15pm PST 
He was good with other dogs. Very gentle with the Peke and played rougher with the Rottie. She had bad hips though so we couldn't let him go all out with her. He loved playing with a friend's Rhodesian Ridgeback when it would come to visit. Dogs on walks weren't really an issue because people never let their dogs near him because he looked so scary.

I got him from a breeder in Canada. Was going to fly up to pick him up but decided I trusted him and the people who referred us to him enough to let him choose which puppy would best suit my needs. He was perfect. He didn't get airsick at all but he did get carsick his whole life. That is a drag having a 110 lb dog profusely salivating and vomiting every time I had to drive him to the vet or anywhere for that matter.

He was incredibly strong, once he ran through the sliding glass door at night and broke a hole straight through it. He was unphased and wanted to eat his food and play. I had to take him to the vet though because he got a deep cut on his muzzle. He didn't feel a thing. BOL Between the vet bill and the door repair it was a very expensive accident.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Oct 27 2:22 am

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 5:09pm PST 
Oops meant to say you can see them in action in the movie "The Bear" as a pack of Beaucerons are used to hunt the bear. Their ears are cropped in the movie.

Kotaro, my Beauceron had natural ears. There is a picture of him here on Kitai's websiteL.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Oct 27 2:22 am

Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 5:02pm PST 
I owned a Beauceron for 8 years until he passed away from cancer. He was a big dog, 110 lbs, weighed more than me, and completed two levels of basic obedience. He never challenged me about anything in terms of dominance or aggression but sadly was fearful of groups of people (more than 2) after being attacked by a loose dog while walking on leash when he was 7 months old. It wasn't that attack that traumatized him but taking him to the emergency vet where a drain was inserted into his injured leg.

A 30 minute walk or more per day and some turns in the backyard and he was happy. He loved toys, lived with my 8 lb Pekingnese who I had before I got him and for a couple of years with a roommates female Rottie. The funniest thing was that the little Peke was top dog and everyone stood aside for her.

His nature was very calm and sweet.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Oct 27 2:22 am

(Page 1 of 432: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.