GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Dog Health > First seizure tonight, diagnosed as possible idiopathic epilepsy??
Josie- *Forever in- Our Hearts*

Happy to work

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 4:47pm PST 
did the vet do any tests when you took her in??

Some dogs do have epilepsy (my Josie girl does) but it should not be the first diagnosis, it should be the last. Dogs can have hypoglycemic seizures, this happens when their blood sugar is low, however they can be brought out of these type of seizures by putting a little bit of something with sugar on their gums when they first show the signs of going into a seizure. My Wiggles has these type, when he starts to show signs we rub a small (he is a dachshund) amount of honey on his gums and he comes right back to normal. They also should want to test for Lymes disease and other viruses.

The website Charlie recommended is the one I use for all my questions about epilepsy. It is a great resource.
[notify]
» There has since been -3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 16 4:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Older dog attacking another dog in the household...Advice please!!

Happy to work

Barked: Sat Dec 14, '13 4:58pm PST 
I agree that a vet check is in order. Even though everything came back normal 2 weeks ago, there are some things like Selli mentioned that do not always show up. For example, my Josie went in for an anal gland removal as it had burst and when they went in to remove it, they found a huge cancerous tumor. She had bloodwork done a week prior to the surgery and there were no signs of cancer in the bloodwork.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 4:58 pm

Dog Health > HELP Screaming when mouth is touched but not a tooth issue?

Happy to work

Barked: Fri Nov 29, '13 4:07pm PST 
Thanks Snickers! I will mention this to my vet
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Happy to work

Barked: Sun Nov 24, '13 2:24pm PST 
So far so good, we were worried about the steroids because of her heart murmur but she has not had any issues and she has not been screaming when the cats head butt her anymore. She also took a hard treat from me and did not scream or hesitate when eating it!! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Happy to work

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 6:11pm PST 
So we just got home from seeing a new vet (who my friends recommended) with Josie and we are going to try steroids. The new vet looked at the x rays and took a very detailed history from us about the previous incident.

The new vet thinks that it is most likely a nerve issue, such as a pinched nerve that is aggravated when she opens her mouth or when pressure is put on a certain area of her jaw. So tomorrow we will start the medicine and hope that it works.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Happy to work

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 8:46am PST 
I was thinking of going to a s p e c i a l i s t but dont know what type to go to. I have shown the x rays to another vet and they said confirmed that there is nothing there. I think we need to get an MRI but really wanted to see a
s p e c i a l i s t of some sort first. What type of s p e c i a l i s t would you recommend??
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Happy to work

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 6:43pm PST 
Moose, Josie has not yet had an MRI but i will look into it, thanks

Koby, i did mention the cancer to the vet and they said that there is not possible way they would not see it on the x rays...that sounded strange to me.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Happy to work

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 6:59am PST 
If it was a learned behavior why would she just start screaming now, she has been fine for 7 months. I also dont think she would have reacted to the extreme she did when we took her to the vet, the reason why she had to be sedated at the vet is because when they opened her mouth she screamed and was pawing at her mouth for about 5 minutes.

I think the pain meds are working a little bit. It is now only when we try to open her mouth, I can touch and put pressure on the sides of her mouth when it is closed but once we go to open it she screams. She also has continued screaming when the cats come up and headbutt her in the underside of her mouth and when I put pressure on the underside of her mouth.

I just hate seeing her in such pain, it is a heart wrenching scream that she makes.

Just a thought, we know that Josie has cancer...could it have spread to her jaw and not been visible on the x rays?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Happy to work

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 3:51pm PST 
We have had blood work done, she gets it done every 6 months so we know that there has been no changes.

If it was pain from the removal of the abscesses I would have thought that she would have been screaming this whole time, they were removed 7 months ago and she had been fine until this week.

I thought about it being related to her ears as she has had issues in the past with chronic ear infections but her ears look great and she does not scream when I touch her neck, ears, or around her mouth...it is only when she opens it or when we try to open it.

Im just at a total loss as to what this could be and what we should be testing for.
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:07 pm

Happy to work

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 4:46pm PST 
I need help my poor Josie has started screaming whenever her mouth is touched.

We had this issue 7 months ago, we had a dental done and they found 3 abscesses however the abscesses were not on her teeth they were in the roof of her mouth. The vet had no idea what could have caused them.

Fast forward to this week and she has started screaming whenever someone gets near her mouth. We took her to the vet and they had to sedate her to look in her mouth. They said everything looked fine and they did x rays but nothing looked wrong. They gave us pain meds but said they have no idea what could be causing this.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be. I really hate seeing my girl in so much pain. I was wondering if it could be some sort of infection in her jaw (which could possibly explain the abscesses 7 months ago) but the vet basically said that the 2 incidents were not related and they would see the infection on the x rays?? Does anyone know more about this and if I should push for more tests related to this or anything else.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Nov 29 4:07 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.