Postings by Kyan

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Behavior & Training > I should have asked this 8 years ago.
Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 5:07pm PST 
What is the best way to react to accidentally 'hurting' your dog? I can't be the only one that from time to time steps on a paw or knocks something over that bumps into or falls on my boy. I usually just act upbeat and give him some extra pets/praise. So far, this has been a fine way for me to deal with it but the other day he was sleeping in my office and someone walked by him and accidentally stepped on the end of his fluffy tail, tearing a small clump of fur out and he jumped up and made a growly-snap noise - he seemed more startled to me than injured but either way, I think its a good question and I always wonder if I'm doing the right thing when it comes to "apologizing" for being clumsy!
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Tika, Feb 18 2:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Ever wonder if your dog will protect you?
Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 6:28am PST 
I know he would. Unfortunately a friend of my brother's (no longer a friend) did 'test' him late one night after a party got a little out of hand. Long story short, he shoved me into a wall and i fell and Kyan stood over me growling a growl I've never heard come from him before or since. I grabbed his collar because I was an idiot and actually WORRIED that the 'friend' might get bit (looking back I wish I hadn't held him back because that guy had it coming). He said something angry about the dog and came towards me again. Kyan lunged forwards with all his shiny white teeth, nearly taking me with him. Apparently THAT got the point across and the guy left, of course yelling something about the 'stupid' dog.

I walk him late at night, well after dark (in the summers) because we usually jog/run much of the time and he is black and fluffy and not fond of 99 degree weather. I am never worried when he's with me. I don't live around any dangerous areas as far as I know but unfortunately that doesn't mean much - anything could happen. There's a section of our walk that cuts through a park and is pitch black but I feel safe. I am a very shy/nervous person when I am alone so he makes me get out there and I'm happy to do it. Strangers do usually cross the street or move far away when they see him and he is just walking calmly at my side so what Titus said about the dog just needing to be a larger dog, regardless of temperament I think is true.

I don't know how far he'd take 'defending' me and I hope to never have to find out. Til then, I'll keep running at night without always looking over my shoulder.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, Jun 25 10:44 am

Dog Health > The 'zeutering' post and my recent vet visit has got me thinkin

Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sun Apr 29, '12 10:08am PST 
Yeah, he turned 7 in February but you'd never guess looking at him smile

The xrays were actually a part of a promotion - if you run 'senior' bloodwork you get the xrays for free. Also, I work at the animal hospital so really I hardly paid for it in the first place. I wasn't sure about doing the xrays but now that they are over and look good I'm glad I did it because otherwise I'd be sitting here wondering 'what if?' cloud 9
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kyan, Apr 29 10:08 am

Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 6:50pm PST 
You know what? Now that I read your post, I think he WAS talking about that BPH thing because he definitely was mentioning the enlarging causing problems and managing it with meds if it did become an issue. I totally assumed it was a type of cancer.

I'm very glad you're here because you certainly seem to know your stuff about this topic and it's hard to find people to talk to since it's not the norm these days!way to go

Thank you!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kyan, Apr 29 10:08 am

Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 8:25am PST 
Two days ago I had my annual 'wellness' check up for Kyan. At our hospital this includes full b/w and urine testing, 5 xrays and of course, the exam/consult. I adore Kyan's vet, he is brilliant and I trust him, and he knows that. It is not his preference but he accepts the fact that I'm not entirely following 'vet-recommended' guidelines (I feed raw, I titer instead of vaccinate, and my dog is not neutered). Kyan passed the whole ordeal with flying colors, so I know that I'm doing a lot right! Yay smile

The only thing I really asked a lot about was the neutering because I DO worry about cancer. We discussed the fact that if he were ever to get testicular cancer obviously I would neuter him immediately and I know that its pretty safe to get rid of it.

Then he told me to just keep in mind that he could also get prostate cancer (which I guess I never thought about)and that THAT is not so easy to take care of. So a tad worried, I started looking into what kind of risk I might be taking. Every study I found concluded prostate cancer affected the NEUTERED dogs MORE than he intact ones. Does anyone have info on this??
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kyan, Apr 29 10:08 am

Behavior & Training > Suddenly 'needy'
Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 6:16am PST 
I never thought there may be something wrong with ME! Definitely worth looking into. I have a few friends that when they became pregnant, their dogs started acting different towards them, even before anyone (human) knew about the pregnancy. Hope that's not the case with me - not quite ready for that!laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kyan, Apr 10 6:16 am

Behavior & Training > Suddenly 'needy'

Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 9:47am PST 
This isn't particularly bothering me, but it has me confused. Kyan is by nature very attached to me but in the same room has always been sufficient. The past few weeks or so he insists on being inches from me at all times when inside. Outside he acts the same. Work, home , the barn, etc he is glued to me. When I sit and watch TV he rests his head on my foot or knee. I get up, he gets up, eager to know where I might be headed. If it were rainy or I had been sick or something lately I'd assume he was just restless but we still hike and run every day. He has been worked up at the vet recently (not because of this behavior, just his annual) and all is fine. Any ideas?? It is slightly annoying just because I can't figure out what on earth he is waiting for or worried about.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kyan, Apr 10 6:16 am

Dog Health > i think some people like their dogs chronically sick

Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 10:06am PST 
I can't believe this - We have a client like this at our hospital. She insists her dog is seriously ill (she says 'dying'). We have run every single test she has come up with over and over always with completely normal results. The dog is happy, playful, eats well, friendly. Seems confused to constantly be hanging out at the vet. The owner sits in the waiting room and cries her eyes out and tells the other clients her dog is terminally ill. We can't seem to convince her otherwise. I had no idea there were other people like this! Wow.
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Beasley , Feb 12 1:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Why are people so leash crazy?!

Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 10:01am PST 
Maybe we should switch the law. Your dog needs to be off leash obedient first, then you can have a tether to make yourself feel better. I only say this because the few times I have had to block a dog from Kyan it was because the dog DRAGGED its owner over to us. If you can't at least keep your dog in one spot with a leash, what good is it? Obviously this doesn't occur with small breeds or even most larger breeds but a leash doesn't mean the dog is controlled. Sorry. Just last week a woman accompanied me (unwillingly) on my walk for 20 mins simply because she could not drag her Weimaraner away. And SHE was yelling at ME! Telling me to stop walking, yelling 'don't you see what you're doing?!' and 'this isn't working for me!' I kept stopping for her... I'm not sure what she wanted me to do aside from walk the dog home for her and put it in her house. I was actually walking to work or (if she hadn't been so rude) I probably would have. It was mildly amusing at first but in the end I had to help her tie the dog to a street sign so I could get out of the dog's sight.

Kyan, like Milton who posted earlier, ignores dogs with bad manners. Like they aren't even there. Calm, quiet dogs he seems to want to go up to and will if I let him.

I AM forced by law to leash my dog on walks. He does not need the leash. In fact I'm not even sure he knows it is attached to him half the time. I do it only because I fear getting in trouble for breaking a law. I'm working on becoming friends with the local officers to try and get a 'pass' shh

I think the law should state dogs must be under control. Whether or not that involves being tied to something or someone is up to the owner. I live in a town where I'd say 80% of the residents own dogs. I walk everyday for a long time and run into a lot of different dogs. At least half a dozen times I've seen owners let go of their leash because their dog is just pulling too hard and they can't stop them. It baffles me.

I knew I bought a dog that would be strong enough (when full grown) to pull me flat on my face if he wanted to, or drag me across a busy road. I am quite small. I made sure physical restraint would never be required to control him because it would have failed. I personally prefer big dogs but if you can't or won't to teach your dog to listen to your wishes, get a smaller one. (not that this has much of anything to do with the original post).

I want a world filled with well-mannered dogs enjoying an occasional (or daily) taste of freedom. That's my dream. It won't happen though, at least nowhere I've ever been. Most dogs are frustrated and confused and hyper and we just tie them up and call it 'managed'. Not cool.

By the way, (because i admire his opinion on all this)where is Nick??? I haven't been on here in a while. Did something happen to him?
[notify]
» There has since been 61 posts. Last posting by Harriet Tubman, Jan 15 7:35 pm

Raw Food Diet > Skin supplements for raw fed dogs
Kyan

No, I'm not a- wolf.

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 8:27am PST 
I'll give her all the info thanks. I'm trying to get her on here since you all have so much knowledge to share smile

Is there a test to see if she needs more zinc in her diet? Bloodwork?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kyan, Jan 8 8:27 am

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.