Postings by Toby

GO!

(Page 1 of 26: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Wat's the weirdest thing that has happened to your dog?
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 5:38am PST 
Not long after we got Toby he was in my husbands office and decided to see if there was any food in the bottom file cabinet drawer. Not sure how he did it but the drawer (metal file cabinet) shut on his leg he tried to pull it out and he almost sliced the tendon in half! We called our vet (They said they were closing in 30 min so take him to the ER Vet, needless to say they are o longer our vet) we took him to Banfield and $700 later we had a Beagle with a stapled and sewed up leg!

Another time he managed to get a 2 lb plate of Kolackys off the back of the kitchen counter and ate them all!! Called my vet (our vet now has an after hours emergency line) who said he was going to get really sick but would be fine. 24 hours later we took turns getting up all night long to let him out.

There are more but those really stick out in mymind.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Willie, Dec 21 9:57 pm

Dog Health > Mast cell tumor, already spread to lymph node
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Sun Dec 1, '13 8:18am PST 
hughughughughughughughughughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Dec 3 10:53 am

Toby

Got food?

Barked: Fri Nov 22, '13 7:29am PST 
hughughughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Dec 3 10:53 am

Toby

Got food?

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 8:04pm PST 
crash course in MCT
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Dec 3 10:53 am

Toby

Got food?

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 7:12pm PST 
Toby had 1 lymph node involved when he was diagnosed. It was a Grade 3 staged at 2B (lymph node involvement). He had one MCT on his paw between the toes. We had it removed and it came back as Mast Cell Cancer. Off to the Oncologist we went. Tobes spent the day there having ultra sounds, fine needle aspirations of his lymph nodes and spleen done and started IV Chemo (Vinblastin) that same day. After 4 weeks of once a week chemo he started an oral drug called Palladia. He had to go every week for blood work for a month or so then down to every 2 weeks for another month or so and then to once a month. After 8 mos of the Palladia his kidneys started acting up so we took him off and he went right back to normal within a few days! He did good for another year and a few months, until Sept 15th. He helped me make a pie the day before, ate his dinner (not quite the same gusto as usual) and when we woke up on Sun he refused food, even liver sausage. I called our Vet, deep down I knew it was going to be very bad news, but our Vet met us at his clinic. Toby's stomach was very distended. It was full of blood. Vet thinks his spleen ruptured over night. I knew it was time, but my husband agreed to lung x-rays. I just couldn't put Toby through more surgeries, my feelings are he was one of the best and I couldn't make him go through all the poking and prodding and cutting and pain again. Dogs don't fear death like some humans do. I held his head the entire time and told him to go be with Dolly (our Saint we lost to bone cancer right before Toby's diagnosis) and I told him how loved he was, but I think he all ready knew that.

Depending on the grade and stage you could have years left. Toby's Grade 3 gave him not much of a prognosis. Only 15% of dogs with Grade 3 MCT will be alive 7 months after surgery, and only 6% will be alive after 2 years. Once mast cell cancer has metastasized, dogs tend to die within 6 months as the symptoms of systemic illness (e.g., gastric ulcers) can no longer be managed and the animal loses its quality of life. Toby got 2 yrs and 2 weeks after diagnosis. I miss my Beagot wink more than anything but we gave him 2 years more than he should have had. I won't lie, it was very costly but if I had to do all over again, I would! Find an oncologist and have a consultation. Find out your options, prognosis other treatments, etc and good luck. Message me if you need anything even if its just to talk. hughughug My name is Mary.
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Dec 3 10:53 am

Dog Health > GAH!
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 5:41am PST 
that seems a little odd to me. If my dogs or cats have diarrhea over 24 hours blood or not they go to the vet. I have never had a dog yelp with diarrhea. I have had dogs with bright red blood in diarrhea which can be that thecolon is irritated from "going" too much. Dark or black and they would be there in a heartbeat. What did you give him to stop it? How does the vet know what its from? My vet will give some advice over the phone but for diarrhea longer than 24 hours and especially if they were yelping he would want to see them, and I would demand he did.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Roman, Sep 6 10:09 am

Dog Health > Cannot keep any food down

Toby

Got food?

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 11:00am PST 
have you talked to the vet? When my beagle was having issues with his kidneys the vet prescribed an antacid twice a day, helped immensely. Not sure if it would help your dog but can't hurt to ask the vet about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Sep 4 8:39 am

Dog Health > anybody else having a horrendous time with skin issues?

Toby

Got food?

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 8:57am PST 
Does anyone use coconut oil? I buy it at the health food store (human). Just get the organic unrefined and start with a small amount building up to a few spoonfuls. My dogs all look great and my Beagles itchies have just about gone away.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Food & Nutrition > The Honest Kitchen recall

Toby

Got food?

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:55pm PST 
Best thing is though that THK was extremely pro-active about this. They recalled their food and sent out emails as soon as they suspected something. The salmonella was in some parsley that had been sold to a human food company, NOT THK. They tested their food and didn't show any salmonella.

I had a box of the Zeal at the time and sent in the form they sent me and I received a check for the amount of the box less than a week later. I call that very responsible! That recall has not put me off their food, in fact it has made me an even more loyal customer!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 7 5:55 pm

Dog Health > CCL Tear and what to do
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 6:41pm PST 
Toby had a TPLO done by a board certified ortho special -ist. After 2 weeks of keeping him very pain free he was allowed to go for a VERY short walk in the yard. We did range of motion exercises with him every day. We tried the crate but with the cone (tried the boo boo loon type, he reached around and got to the incision anyway) it was hard to turn in the crate for him. We kept him in my husbands hone office on a big comfy ortho bed. Kevin even got a blow up mattress to sleep with him. After 4 weeks he could go on longer walks and after 6 weeks we back to pretty much normal. Cost a little over $3000
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Pippin, May 11 9:56 pm

(Page 1 of 26: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.