Postings by Chloe the Chaotic

GO!

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Belgian Malinois > B. Mal. / GSD Differences?
Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Sun Dec 7, '08 9:50am PST 
My question is to those that have converted from GSD's to B. Mal.'s or those who currently have both breeds in their packs.

My next dog (years down the road) I would like a B. Mal. Since chlidhood, I have had Collies, Shleties, & GSD's. I now have a GSD/B. Mal mix & a Sibe. I fell in love in dog shows w/ B. Tav.'s when i was a kid. I'm all grown up now...and realize that a B. Mal. is probably more my cup of tea...just based on the coat and grooming. Problem is, I've never really been around a pure Mal. Sure I have a mix, but that's not really a proper guage of what to expect from the breed. I have done oodles of research; books, documentaries, on-line, talking to folks at dog shows, etc...over the past 2-1/2 decades. But that doesn't really tell me what to expect as far as temperment, learning, personality, tendacy differences between the two breeds. When I speak to people in dog shows, I either get 'they're wonderful dogs, I would never have anything else' or warning me of their high-energy level. Everyone thinks *their* breed of the dog is the best...so that really doesn't tell me anything. I want the real skinny...the good the bad...and the different.

A little background on me:
I am not a novice dog owner, I have had dogs for 40 years. Of the herders/workers I have had, the ones I have been in sync the most with were my GSD's & my current GSD/Mal. mix. I am not interested in a protection dog (therefore finding a a good breeder I understand will be dificult). I socialize and to obedience training with all of my dogs. I have competed in Dog Frisbee competitions, have trained and had a Therapy Dog, and my current two are retired Doggy Ambassadors...like I said, I'm not a novice (although far from an expert either), I list these things to show...I'm not fooling, I work with and train my dogs. I am and will be prepared for the high energy level...and welcome that. I like to spend hours hiking, tossing toys, training, walking, swimming at the lake, and going to dog parks. When my dogs were younger in the peak of their energy levels as dogs, they were excersised / trained on average of 2 - 6 hours a day in addition to running in the fenced backyard, and playing in the house. My dogs are technically indoor dogs, in that they do not sleep outside at night, and are confined to the house when I am away. My retired Dad comes over 1-2 times a day while I am at work and lets my dogs out to relieve themselves and have a play daily standing play date with his dog.

What I am looking for: Intelligent, high-energy, social, ready to jump in the car to go onto our next adventure. I am looking for a pet, not a dog from working lines that may be more aggressive. I do not know what my plans may be for my future dog, it will depend on the dog. If the dog shows an eagerness and tallent for Agility - we'll give it a go, obedience - sure let's try that and compete, Frisbee? - yup I can do that again if ya wanna, or if it just wants to be a pet...so be it. I let my dogs tell me what they are best at and what makes them happy...within reason. I spay all of my pets, so comformation and breeding are not an option for me.

What I'd like to know...is how is a GSD (what I am exposed and used to) different from a Mal. (no one I know owns one or has ever owned one...so I have nothing to compare)? What should I expect different in Training, Excersize, Socialization (with people, other dogs, cats?), Temperment, Energy, Prey Drive, Health Issues, overall Drive??? What do they work for? Food? Balls/toys? Attention/praise?

Thank you for your time in reading what I am sure is now a very long post.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Holly, Jan 28 11:01 am

German Shepherd > Most important things to know about GS?
Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 3:39pm PST 
Go to the pet store and buy LOTS of balls! Every kind of ball made if pawsible. Tennis balls, squeaky balls, bouncy balls, soccer balls, footballs, plush balls (for inside)...seriously...every ball you can get your paws on. It might not be a bad idea to pick-up a Chuck-it too. Next, make sure your health insurance is current and paid up...'cuz mark my words...at some point you are going to get tennis elbow from all the ball throwing.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 12:39 pm

German Shepherd > Carols, Poems and Other Christmas Goodies

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 3:25pm PST 
Twas weeks before Christmas,
and back at Hailey & Chloe's pad.
All the creatures were stirring,
Nary a one being bad!
And Chloe in her Elf Ears,
Hailey in her Santa Hat.
Were both being ridiculed,
By PeekBoo the rotten Cat!

The furkids were playing,
Up on Mistress' bed...
While the smells of Thanksgiving,
Still danced in their heads...
And Mistress was shuffling around,
in her big fluffy sox...
Came up from the basement,
With the BIG Christmas box...

When all through the house,
there arose such a clatter!
Chloe lept from the bed,
to see what was the matter!
Away to the dining room,
Chloe zoomed in a flash!
To find Mistress had slipped...
and fallen on her ash.

There were the blinking lites,
and decorations strewn all around.
Some looked like dog toys,
scattered all over the ground!
When outta the bedroom,
what should suddenly appear?
It was Hailey the Husky,
Her lips turned up in a sneer.

I heard her Husky Howl,
In an ear piercing roar!
"We've gotta help Mistress,
get up off the floor!"
"I hate to admit it, but,
you're right" Chloe proclaimed
"If we don't help her up,
surely it is I who'll be blamed!"

Hailey and Chloe thought,
and then they thunk...
but howl to get Mistress up,
who had gone kerplunk!?!
Then Hailey came up
with a grand master plan!
We'll call on our Dogster pals...
Surely, we can put together a clan!

Now Smokie , now Beatrix ,
now Kiko & Josie!
Yelp Francis , yelp Meaty ,
yelp Vincent & Rosie!
They ran up the drive,
and crashed through the door...
To help Hailey & Chloe,
Get Mistress up off the floor.

Smokie and Francis...
each leg they did tug...
Alone they could not,
get Mistress to budge!
Then Vincent & Rosie...
gave a big mighty push!
And soon doppy Mistress,
was up off of her tush!

All of the Dogsters stood around her,
and let out a collective howl...
All except Meaty...
who dripped drool from his jowel.
For now they knew,
all was just fine...
Soon the tree would be up,
the lights soon to shine.

On the Christmas tree,
tinsel was carefully strung,
Every Christmas ornament,
And Christmas ball was hung.
Mistress measured Hailey & Chloe
To find out just how tall..
Then she hung H&C's stocking,
High up on the wall.

The pals gathered together,
at the Christmas they had saved...
They knew soon Santa Paws,
would know they'd behaved!
So, no matter who you are,
no mater where you are at...
We wish you all a Merry Christmas...
even PeekBoo the Cat!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rosie *FOUND*, Dec 7 9:22 am

Behavior & Training > After the pinch collar.

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 9:32am PST 
The steps dow we took were...

Pincher
Choke chain (very important that this is put on correctly and used properly)
Martingale
Regular collar

Chloe was dificult and would not respect collars at all when walking...or should I say dragging me and choking herself. The only thing in the beginning she would respect was the pincher...tried to go from that to martingale...and the respect went out the window...so went with the choke chain in between the two and she respected that. When she got reliable on each collar, I went down another step. Only you know your dog well enough to know if you can make bigger leaps...or if you'll hafta go with baby steps. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chloe the Chaotic, Nov 14 9:32 am

German Shepherd > Shelter Dogs...please watch this video...

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 2:53pm PST 
Beautifully done.

Chloe, Chaotically happy someone took her outta the shelter!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Beau, Aug 10 10:21 am

German Shepherd > My mom is a dog noob!
Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Wed Jul 16, '08 2:50pm PST 
I think the extreme pulling and choking themselves not phasing them must be a GSD thing. Chloe was really bad too...and I swore I would NEVER do it...but I was more concerned she would do great harm to herself training with a normal choke collar...and I broke down and bought the dreaded pinch collar. Now THAT got her attention with quick snap corrections...much better than all the choking that had me so concerned. Remember...no matter what collar you go with should only be used during training, must be worn properly, and used correctly (quick short *snaps* and releases)...as needed. And as there are consequences for pulling (snap & release)...there should also be rewards for good behavior...a well placed *Good GIRL/BOY* and a pat on the head can do wonders. I also used the brisk turn and walk the opposite direction tactic...and it worked for us.

Not every dog/puppy will respond the same way...the trick is finding whatever trigger you can find with your dog that they respond to the best...no matter how silly it may be...and sticking with it until the desired behavior is reached.

Mistress, Chaotically walking in *about turns* down the street...must've looked rather silly to the neighbors back in the day...
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 5:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Kind of a strange question about enrolling in training

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Mon Jun 2, '08 4:07pm PST 
To say that asking a vet on pet related issues is like asking a mechanic to reccommend a computer repairman...doesn't even make sense...the latter two examples are not even related. Can you say *apples* and *oranges*? I suppose you wouldn't accept your own doctor's referral to a good psychiatrist either??? shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kelpie, Jun 3 1:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Kind of a strange question about enrolling in training

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Mon Jun 2, '08 1:08pm PST 
A very good resource for all things animal...is your vet. Dog Training isn't typically a high paying profession...most are in it for the love of dogs...so don't have the money to dump into newspaper, TV, & radio ads..so there isn't really gonna be a big brite neon sign pointing you in the right direction. Your vet tho...more likely than not is networked into all kinds of pet related groups of people...and would be able to reccommend someone that they have personal experience with. Remember..he or she isn't going to reccommend anyone they feel is incapable of helping you...he wants to keep you as a client...he's got something to lose by just giving you a name willy-nilly.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Kelpie, Jun 3 1:54 pm

Behavior & Training > 1st time at the dog park

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Sat May 31, '08 6:39pm PST 
Yes, the first owner should have intervined and taken control of his/her dog...that said...you found out the hard way not all people at dog parks take responsibility. Dog parks can be wooferful places fur dogs and their owners. Dogs get socialized not only with all types of dogs...but also all types of people & get excersized; it can be great fun for them. People meet other *like* people who feel the same way as you that dogs are family members not jsut a dog. This can lead to grrrrrreat freindships and open a whole new world fur you and your dog. For instance, one of our pals has a pond and will invite doggy pals (and owners alike) over for doggy swims, another pal hosts a yearly Memorial Day Doggy BBQ in her back-yard, you can swap dog sitting if you ever go out of town...etc.

Most dogs no matter howl shy or dominate they may be, will cower the first few times they go into a Dog Park. They are entering new territory with the smells of well over 100 dogs...they are fearful that they have entered the territory of a VERY large pack and are fearful they may be confronted by 100 dogs...even if there are only a handful in the park at the time...they trust their noses more than their counting abilities.

A few things you can try to make this as stress-free as pawsible are:

1. Take your dog for walks OUTSIDE the perimeter of the fence a few days. This will allow your dog the buffer of a fence...and allow him to pee outside...the beginning stages of getting his scent out there.

2. Regular Dog Park goers usually, like their dogs, hang out in packs themselves. You're gonna have the morning crowd, mid morning crowd, lunch crowd, after work crowd, evening crowd, & the weekend crowd. When walking your dog on the outside...go at different times of the day and scope out the temperment of the dogs...and the ammount of dogs at different times of the day.

3. When you finally do venture back in...now you have a pretty good idea of when to go...with the smallest group, or more docile group. Whatever group you feel is best suited for your dog. This will give him the best chances for success and hopefully calm your dog's and your nerves a bit.

4. Don't put yourself in a corner away from the crowd...make friends yourself! Tell people what your dog's name is, ask about their dogs, tell them it's your first time. Next thing you'll know...not only will you be watching your dog...but you'll have extra eyes on it as well to help divert pawsible squirmishes and paying extra attention to your dog to help it get into the swing of things. Good Dog Parkers will help you every step of the way...we want this to be a good experience for your dog just as much as you do. They will also warn you if a potential *problem* dog or owner is entering the park...giving you a heads up.

Chloe, Chaotically looking back on her *first time*
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mellow, Jun 1 6:38 am

Dogster Video > Video Removed for Infingement?
Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '08 5:38am PST 
Woofs having content pulled and not so much as a curtesy email to specify what about your content caused the *infraction* is not very proactive at all...not like the good 'ol days. You may not have liked the reason...but at least you knew what you needed to change to put it back up.

Chloe, Chaotically has had content pulled back in the day, but at least used to be told why...
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Rocky (In Loving Memory), Jan 24 4:23 pm

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.