Postings by Aspen Winter Winner

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Other Barks & Woofs > Hey Firehouse Dog dogs!! Check in here!!
Aspen Winter- Winner

Polar Bear.- Lover of humans.

Barked: Sat Aug 12, '06 9:30am PST 
I got one toooo!!!!! YEAH
[notify]
» There has since been 163 posts. Last posting by Laddie, Aug 11 2:07 pm

Dog Health > Kidney Disease/Renal Failure
Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Thu Jun 15, '06 6:57am PST 
Protein is one of the harder things for the kidneys to filter. You don't have to use the L/D. Which by the way is for liver disease. Go on line and do some research. Start with the hills/Science diet company. There are recipes out there you can make yourself. Unfortunately with a dog of your size it is hard to help filter the kidneys. A crude form of dialysis is when the vet or you give fluids under the skin to help flush the kidneys. That is usually done with cats and small dogs. How high is the BUN/CREATNINE? How old is the pup? Denise (vet tech 20+ years.)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by ◊Kodiak Bear 1988-2000, Jun 20 1:24 pm

Dog Health > Spaying

Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '06 1:34pm PST 
As a vet tech of 20 years I have NEVER heard of a dog being on antibiotics for a simple spay. If she had a pyo or something yes but just a spay??? There is no reason for it if the surgery room, and staff are all sterile. As for the pain meds... I doubt she will get any after the initial injection just prior to waking up. If they are an ER clinic then I can see where someone will be there all night. If not... they are blowing wind up your skirt. Having said all that... She really does need to stay there for the simple reason that she will still have some lasting anesthesia in her system and needs to simply rest with no stimulation. If you pick her up and bring her home she will be more likely to want to do more than she should. As for the sutures... most vets these days use subcutaneous sutures so there isn't anything they can pull at. Either way even if she does pull at her outer (assuming she has any) sutures there are 3 layers of sutures. In other words nothing will fall out if she does. You may also notice some swelling around the suture line in a day or so. It can even be as large as a big marble, or golf ball. That is a reaction to the sutures and will resolve itself once the sutures are removed. Assuming they use exterior sutures. The time factor is much longer than you think. It takes at least 20-30 minutes to get the dog under anesthesia, shaved, and prepped. Then the actual surgery should take about 20-40 minutes depending on the surgeon, and whether the pup is in estrus or not. So I would say more like at least an hour from start, to time to remove the tube from her trachea. She may cough a bit for a day or so. That is usually due to an irritation from the tube. Not to worry. IF it lasts longer than a couple of days then she needs to be seen again in case she picked up a virus called kennel cough while there. Hopefully she is vaccinated. Even with that if there is a dog there that has it she can pick it up as it is an air born virus and even a non coughing dog is contagious. It just won't last as long or be as severe. I hope all this sets your mind to rest. Your baby girl should be just fine. She will greet you tomorrow like nothing ever happened. The vet will advise you to restrict jumping up and the such for about 7 days. In the mean time get some rest yourself. Good for you for having her spayed. One less litter of pups in this world is always a good thing. Especially since the disasters on the Gulf coast. I went down a few times. It's much worse when you see it up close and personal than just a few shots from the TV. Hope this helps, Denise
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Feb 1 4:23 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog Liability Insurance?

Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 10:21am PST 
My dog is liscensed through therapy dogs international and for 30.00 a year he gets insurance. I think it's close to a couple hundred thousand dollars. I can't remember at the moment and I'm out of state so can't look it up. Go to http://www.tdi-dog.org/ and check it out. IF you want more info just email me and I'll try to help. Insurance is very important. It explains in the insurance that you aren't exactly insuring the dog as you can't really insure a dog it's the handler since dogs can't be insured. But if your dog were to accidently scratch or harm someone while in the capacity of a therapy dog it would be covered. There are other things covered as well. Right now is a very busy time for them because all of the renewals are due on Dec 31 so if they don't get right back to you have patience. Denise
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Isaac, Feb 28 7:52 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > I've been rescued... can you ID my breed?

Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '06 10:12am PST 
I see the Catahoula and possibly the greyhound but it's hard to tell with this shot. Do you have a profile shot while standing? My mom is a vet tech of 20 yrs and is good at this sort of thing and she also had a greyhound for 6 years which was a rescue. Let her know if you have another picture at dlwinner@comcast.net
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 5:16 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Attempts to help have failed
Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '05 1:25pm PST 
I am with a local rescue group here in Savannah, GA. "Coastal Pet Rescue." We are going to be heading to either LA, or MS in the next few days, or as soon as I can coordinate drivers and fosters. All of the pets we bring back will be traveling with Health certificates, vaccines, and flea treatments. We are working with a reputable rescue group already in that area. We are in need of foster homes, or those who want to adopt. We also could use a few more drivers with their own vehicles to help transport. If you live anywhere between GA and MS and want to help, or if you would like to foster, or adopt (regardless of where you live.) please contact me at denise@coastalpetrescue.org If we can get enough pets going in the same general direction we can try to coordinate with other groups and get them to you. In fact just yesterday I took a little dog about 100 miles of his long journey from FL to PA. There will have been 17 people and 17 vehicles that drove a leg of this journey. It CAN be done. However with the price of gas going sky high it makes more sense to transport a few of them at a time. Thanks for caring, Denise
P.S. I hav e spoken to the lady who started this post a few times in the last couple of weeks. In fact I just sent her an email. Hopefully we can do some good.
P.P.S. YES I agree... if you really want to help and can't find a way to get a Katrina rescue if you adopt a pet from any rescue in your area you are virtually opening up a space for the next baby.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aspen Winter Winner, Oct 2 1:25 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Need fosters, drivers, adoptions.

Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '05 1:21pm PST 
I am with a local rescue group here in Savannah, GA. "Coastal Pet Rescue." We are going to be heading to either LA, or MS in the next few days, or as soon as I can coordinate drivers and fosters. All of the pets we bring back will be traveling with Health certificates, vaccines, and flea treatments. We are working with a reputable rescue group already in that area. We are in need of foster homes, or those who want to adopt. We also could use a few more drivers with their own vehicles to help transport. If you live anywhere between GA and MS and want to help, or if you would like to foster, or adopt (regardless of where you live.) please contact me at denise@coastalpetrescue.org If we can get enough pets going in the same general direction we can try to coordinate with other groups and get them to you. In fact just yesterday I took a little dog about 100 miles of his long journey from FL to PA. There will have been 17 people and 17 vehicles that drove a leg of this journey. It CAN be done. However with the price of gas going sky high it makes more sense to transport a few of them at a time. Thanks for caring, Denise
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aspen Winter Winner, Oct 2 1:21 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > I can foster!!!

Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '05 1:20pm PST 
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Aspen Winter Winner, Oct 2 1:20 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Attempts to help have failed

Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Fri Sep 23, '05 9:09am PST 
I share your frustrations. I'm actually supposed to be on the DART for the HSUS. I have contacted them too many times to count. Finally 3 of us from Coastal Pet Rescue in Savannah, GA got together enough volunteers to donate enough goods to fill my 12x6 trailer with human and pet supplies. We took it to Diamond Head Mississippi. It was a very frustrating trip with traffic jams, and then not being able to find the drop off location. We were finally directed to a distribution center at the airport that was taking all goods and distributing them as needed. I met some really awesome people in our armed forces. I have some great pictures if someone will direct me where to post them. By great I mean the ones of smiling national guard members, and smiling marines that helped us unload. I think we've all seen enough disaster pictures.
I was one of the first on the scene in Homestead after Andrew hit. I stayed for 10 days. I've been a vet tech for 20 years. You can only imagine my frustration with not being able to sign on with anyone going in. We are having a meeting this Tuesday night with Coastal Pet Rescue and friends of animals to plan the next trip. In the mean time please visit our website and see how you can help. We are close enough to the area so we are going to be inundated with pets needing foster homes, or permanent homes. Here is a link
http://www.coastalpetrescue.org/ If anyone has any ideas or questions feel free to email me at dlwinner@comcast.net Please put dogster in the subject line or I may not open it. No attachments please. I like my computer virus free. lol.. Sincerely, Denise Winner-McKenzie with Coastal Pet Rescue, and Coastal therapy dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Aspen Winter Winner, Oct 2 1:25 pm

Dog Health > Dogs with Allergies
Aspen Winter- Winner

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '05 3:12pm PST 
OOPS Mom got kind of busy so she wrote this answer over a period of a few hours. She forgot to mention... Use 50% alcohol, and 50% white vinegar in the ears daily while there is an existing problem (before using medication the doctor gave you,) and then weekly and EVERY time your ears get wet. The alcohol will dry out any water in there, and the vinegar will help with the yeast infection. Which mom is sure is what is growing in your ears. It's because you have ears that fold down thus creating a warm, moist environment for yeast to grow. Kind of like girl humans. Speaking of which... if you can't make it to the vet because they are closed and your ears are red, or stinky, or itchy your mom can use Monistat.. or it's generic equivalent. It's the almost exactly the same thing as otomax. Also.. if benadryl didn't help she doubts atarax will. it's also called hydroxizine. It's an antihistamine. Even though the steroids are REAL bad for you; if you get real itchy then maybe the doctor can give you some pills so your mom can control the amount that is put into your system. Shots last about 30-45 days. Pills don't last long at all. But... if you are in a bad way you will need some steroids to stop the cycle. Yes I said cycle.. mom says the more you itch, the more you scratch... and then you itch more. Have an itch free night, Aspen
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Jul 31 9:05 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.