Postings by Bailey

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Grooming > When to Say When
Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 12:23pm PST 
I can't help you with the nail issue but did notice you own a westie.. Im an owned by two male westies.. I also happen to be a member of my local westie club... If you're interested in learning the CORRECT westie groom lemme know.. I can refer you to several grooming DVD's (pet and show) created by some of the fine folks that own and show westies.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bailey, Oct 14 12:23 pm

Food & Nutrition > Eukanuba Low Residue puppy food any good?
Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 1:37pm PST 
Please know the Westie breed is high on the allergy list. Stay away from foods containing the common allergens such as Wheat, corn, and soy. You definitely want to stay away from foods containing by-products. By products can be anything not fit for human consumption... even euthanized pets. You want to look for foods with the protein source being number one on the list. Eukanuba, Iams, and ALL grocery store bought foods are the worst foods you can feed your dog. They are big companies that use the cheapest ingredients...including wheat gluten from China.. Hate to see what is in their by-product vat. Gag!

Some of the foods I recommend;
Orijen
Artimes
Natures Variety Prairie
Canine Caviar
California Natural
Innova EVO

If you google each brand of dog food I've listed, you can find a website and a store locator tab on each website. Higher quality foods cost a bit more but you feed less, so be sure to look at the daily feeding requirement on the bag. Not only are the ingredients in food important but the ingredients in the treats you give your dog are crucial as well.

Also may I suggest adding flaxseed oil to your dogs food as the westie breed has very little to no oil in their skin, the oil will greatly help in keeping the skin from drying out. When bathing use an oatmeal base shampoo and condition the furnishings and legs only. Conditioning the head will make the head hair soft and cause it to lay flat therefore loosing the "round" head.

Good book for all westie owners.. "Westies from head to Tail" by Ruth Fayherty.

Have fun with your westie... they are the by far the best breed around. IMHO..

big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by ♥ DarlaMae ♥, Jan 13 8:23 pm

Dog Health > Scabs!

Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Sun Jan 11, '09 11:20am PST 
One of my westies had the same problem.. He was diagnosed with staff infection. The Vet gave him some meds and Maleseb shampoo.. It cleared up ina few days.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sunny , Jan 12 6:46 am

Grooming > Quick finder delux nail clipper on GMA today?

Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Fri Jan 2, '09 7:27am PST 
Thats rediculous. Why do you need something like that when you can actually see the quick? I'm not crazy about this type of clipper... the dog can move and accidently snip the nail too short.

IMO, the dremel is the best way to shorten the nails.. Dremels come in many styles, sizes, shapes and price ranges. Many people are buying the pedipaws... They are OK but it is not fool proof... You can still cause pain if you hold it on the nail too long. Not only that, it doesnt have the speed the dremel has... meaning it will take much longer to grind down the nails. Go to dremel.com to see all the dremels available. I use the one that looks like a gun.. fits great in a small hand.

http://www.quickfinderclipper.com/
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bailey, Jan 2 7:27 am

Dog Health > bad reaction to ?

Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Tue Dec 16, '08 5:01pm PST 
Why can't you go without the vaccine? Your dogs levels are probably off the charts and he does'nt need it. I would do a titers next time around. A titers is acceppted at boarding facilities if thats your concern. Seriously, I would not give your baby shots before checking the levels. IMO, we are over vaccinating our pets.

Mention a titers test to your vet and see what he/she has to say.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Taser, Dec 18 1:56 pm

Food & Nutrition > Thoughts on food??
Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 7:02am PST 
Castor and Pollux Organix is not that bad... infact it's probably one of the better foods found at Petco.

http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/store/organix/organix_adult_canin e_formula

Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Peas, Organic Barley, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Oats, Chicken Fat preserved with Mixed Tochopherols (form of Vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Organic Whole Flaxseed, Natural Chicken Liver Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Whole Egg, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), Choline Chloride, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Yeast Culture (Sacccharomyces Cerevisiae), Dried Enterococcus Faecum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longbrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract and Fermentation Solubles, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 25.00%
Crude Fat (min) 13.00%
Crude Fiber (max) 4.50%
Moisture (max) 10.00%
Calcium (min) 1.00%
Phosphorus (min) 0.90%
Omega 6 Fatty Acid* (min)
2.00%
Omega 3 Fatty Acid* (min) 0.28%
Glucosamine* (min) 150 ppm
Chondroitin Sulfate* (min) 75 ppm

Some quality dog foods you can google to find their websites. From there you can click on the locator tab to find stores that sell in your area;

Innova EVO
Orijen
Artimes
Prairie
Canine Caviar

You want to stay away foods sold in grocery stores...and that includes treats. When buying treats also look for grain and by product free. When buying toys and chewies look for products made in the USA. Items from Asia and other countries contain chemicals that can harm our pets.

To learn more about what is in dog food may I suggest a book called "food Pets Die For" By Ann N. Martin

FYI, Pro Plan definitely uses rendered mystery meat because there have been tests showing traces of sodium phentobarbital in some of their foods. What does that mean? It means they obtain meat from rendering plants which get their meat from shelters, vets (euthanized animals), farms, butcher shops, etc...probably even roadkill.

eekshock
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 15 3:20 pm

Food & Nutrition > Were the Big Name Brands Really Better Back in the Day?

Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 6:35pm PST 
My father owned a chain of pet stores in the DFW area about 20 yrs ago...about the time when Eukanuba, Iams, Hills Science Diet came out. I sat in on one of the Eukanuba sales pitch one afternoon and they told us to go home and soak the current food your feeding in water and see what you get after it dissolves. I did and could not believe what Purina Dog chow was made of.. HAIR! I kid you not, the top of the glass was nothing but hair. Needless to say, I switched to Eukanuba...after all it was a high quality food. wink

Didn't Hills Science Diet start out as a Vet Prescribed food?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Adlai, Dec 7 11:19 am

Dog Health > Scratching

Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '08 7:28am PST 
I have two white dogs and the breed has very little oil and neither one of them have the itchies. So I think that blows that theory.wink

It could also be that your itchy dogs are having a reaction to the flea meds. I know, not exactly what you want to hear but its a possiblility. I'm from Texas so I know how bad the fleas can get.. Do you refrain from using the advantage during the winter months? Maybe skip a month or two on the flea meds and see what happens. In the meantime, evaluate the ingredients in your dogs food.. no corn, wheat, wheat gluten and soy. Begin adding Omega 3 oil twice a day to your dogs food.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sanford Hawley , Dec 5 8:21 am

Grooming > Tangles, tangles, tangles!

Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 11:28am PST 
Unfortunately I think you will have no choice but to shave him down. If the entire coat is matted close to the skin, it will be near impossible to remove the matts by combing. I groom Westies and trust me, you dont want to make the dogs first grooming experience a bad one. If he knows grooming causes pain, he will fight you all the way.

I would start over by clipping him down leaving the head hair if possible, and as the hair begins to grow out brush him on a regular basis to get him used to being groomed.

Always brush the coat out by removing any matts before bathing otherwise when the water hits the hair the matts will tighten
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Rupert, Dec 4 1:28 pm

Grooming > Would you recommend any of these shampoos for dogs with dry skin
Bailey

No Fear!

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 10:43am PST 
I have a breed that has very little to no oil so I have to use a mild shampoo. I use Desert Sudz 'Desert Rain' which is an oatmeal based shampoo along with the conditioner. Its kind of expensive but its concentrate therefore lasting a long time. You can order from Ryanspet.com

May I suggest that whatever brand of shampoo you use on your dog (as long as its not a prescribed shampoo by Vet), to always dilute it. Most shampoos are so concentrate you really don't need to use that much. Mix with water and it will last longer, its just as effective and most importantly, it rinses off.

FYI, Ive used the Paul Mitchel brand for dogs, its incredibly drying for my breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jenna, Dec 2 8:43 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.