Postings by Keiko (4/8/98-12/5/12)

GO!

(Page 1 of 217: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > Shold they be a bit bigger at this age?
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Mon May 31, '10 4:37pm PST 
Puppies go through many stages of growth. Some grow faster than others. Chest size, height, and length really don't mean anything at this point. You do not state on their pages what the father is........only the mother. So why do you think the father was a husky/wolf? Are you hoping for huge dogs? the one pup looks like a lab mix. Most people claiming to have wolf mixes in fact do not. For one thing its illegal to own them in most states and definitely not in city limits. Even if it is a wolf mix.........they run the gamut from 50 lbs up to over 100 lbs so its a gamble as to what size the pups are. Since the father was possibly a husky/wolf and the mother was a husky.........they are if any at all, only 1/4 wolf.......meaning they will more likely take on the size of a husky.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dante, May 31 4:55 pm

Puppy Place > Breeding age?

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Mon May 31, '10 4:29pm PST 
Oh my goodness, yes! I'll try to make this quick and to the point. Females should not be bred until they are at least 2 yrs old, minimum. She will want to have her dog health tested. This does not mean her regular vet checkups. This means specific tests they do to make sure she isn't carrying any hereditary problems. I'm not sure what the pekingese issues are, but I'm guessing knees and eyes at the minimum. Possibly heart too. You don't want to pass along luxating patellas, heart murmurs or chronic eye problems. She would also have to be tested prior to breeding for any STD's.........and yes, dogs can get them too........even if they have never been bred.

And finally, unless she has titled in something..........whether it be conformation, agility, or obedience............her dog should probably not be bred. She needs to think long and hard on this. Would she really want all the puppies to end up in the shelter? B/c millions of people do the same thing, thinking their pups have good homes. And tens of millions of puppies end up at the shelters each year...........many never find homes.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Huntington, Jun 7 2:24 pm

Behavior & Training > Accommodations You Have Made For Your Dog

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '09 7:28pm PST 
Very intersting thread.
this goes thru my entire time of owning dogs.
I gave up living in a decent apt b/c none of them accepted pets (or ones over 25 lbs). So I was forced to live in a very dumpy apt where a murder occured a year later.

I gave up staying out late b/c I had to come home to let the dog out for a potty break.

I started dog walking/pet sitting so I could choose my own hours and work around the dog's schedule.............of course that wasn't really any kind of sacrifice as I enjoy doing it.

We do not take vacations. The last one we took was when Gunther was around 9-10 mo old and it was an extended weekend. With 4 dogs now that is almost impossible.

I reluctantly moved back in with my parents for 1.5 yrs (while hubby looked for a house in another state) b/c I did not want to try and rent a home with 4 dogs and multiple other pets.

We looked at houses around the pets. Obviously had to find an area that would accept 4 dogs..................and that is not easy in suburban areas.

but the accomodations aren't limited just to the dogs. Our current house I chose b/c it has a huge bar in the basement taking up most of one wall. Perfect for displaying fish and reptile tanks (although right now its my temporary office).

Got rid of many cleaning supplies b/c birds have very sensitive respiratory systems. Which means no aeresol, candles, febreeze and many other cleaning and odorous products.

The garage was chosen b/c I thought I could set up an iguana or tortoise set up out there with the exta space although I don't see that happening now (waaaay too much crap).

Got a job working for a pet store for the discounts even though I hate corporate America.

When living with parents, drove 3 hrs to my old vet (from SD) for all appts. which meant about every other month. I drive about 40 min here to a vet b/c they treat domestic and exotic pets and I need a vet that does everything.

When looking at adopting a great dane, I had originally wanted to adopt an adult but changed it to a puppy so it would be an easier transition for Keiko..............she could gradually get used to the size rather than bring some giant strange dog to live there.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Lupi, Jun 18 5:44 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > For those of you who have dogs you got from breeders, do you feel guilty at all

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '09 4:44pm PST 
Nope, not at all. 3 of mine are technically rescues although I didn't go thru a rescue for them. Gunther was supposed to be a rescue but I got "temporarily" declined for a ridiculous reason that I couldn't do anything about.

Our next dog will be from a breeder. The 2 after that will be thru rescue (hopefully, if we don't get declined again) and the one after that a breeder. I like to alternate..............lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Allee Oop!!!, Jul 15 12:30 am

Behavior & Training > then to now

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '09 4:23pm PST 
I think overall they have stayed pretty much the same dogs they were as puppies.

Keiko is my "thinker" dog. Always has been. She was very submissive as a pup though.........she did eventually outgrow that. She has always been fairly outgoing and friendly and very curious about everything. Always highly intelligent she picks up on things quickly. But, being a thinker, she thinks long and hard sometimes about listening..............she always listens but you can see she's thinking "hmmmmm..........I wonder what will happen if I DON'T listen?" As some refer to a horse as being "dead broke", Keiko is my "dead broke" dog...........lol. Nothing phases her.......although her age has made her less tolerant of some things (such as puppies jumping all over her..........lol)

Gunther has always been a sensitive boy. He has always been a huge momma's boy. And he has always been very eager to please, which has made training a breeze. I also knew after i heard him bark at people behind the house the day after we got him (at 12 wks) that he would go against all the info I read that great danes aren't "vocal"...............lol. And that has held true he certainly likes to make himself known to anyone in the outside world.........thank goodness he listens well. He's always been a big chicken and still is but we have come a long way. As he's matured he has gotten soooo much better with meeting strangers, and has come miles with his fearfulness of children.

Nigel has changed some from a pup. We didn't officially get him or Posey til they were 6 mo old but they stayed with us for a month when they were 3 mo old. Nigel had some serious behavioral problems at that point which had to be stopped right away.............at 3 mo old he would attack you viciously if you tried to discipline him in any way. Ripped my finger open the first time he did this.........thank goodness it was just puppy teeth. Took only about 3 or 4 times before he found out this behavior was not tolerated. And he's never tried that again. He's a happy go lucky dog, with the attention span of a gnat. Even when he's in trouble the second you're done scolding him or he's done with time out, he's forgetten all about it..............lol. He's my little dimwit, it takes him quite some time to pick up on training. But he tries hard. We had only officially had him for a day or two when we moved. Once we got settled at our new place it became clear he strived to be a great dane when he grew up and that hasn't changed at all. Which is why his nickname is 'mini me'............lol.

Posey is pretty much the same dog she has always been. She was very timid when we got her, and although she has come a long way in terms of confidence (tail no more tucked constantly and ears not always flat on head) but she still has a long way to go. She was and still continues to be a sweet and loveable lap dog. But can also be very manipulative and crabby with others when she doesn't get her way. Lately she has started becoming a bit reactive which we will have to start working on. And although afraid of Gunther at first b/c of his size, she soon grew to love him and he is now her main squeeze (although she does get crabby with him on rare occasion).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Keiko (4/8/98-12/5/12) , Jun 15 4:23 pm

Behavior & Training > Warning! please read!

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Fri Jun 12, '09 2:04pm PST 
Yeah I only tried that once.
left my bike at school. Took the dog (family dog) for a walk to get it, then realized my dilemma.........lol.

I attemped to ride slowly home and it was going well for about a 3/4 mile. I don't know what got her attention but over i went.

Had to walk her and my bike home the rest of the way.........another mile home. Never tried it since.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Lily, Jun 13 8:06 am

Behavior & Training > Just wondering if this would work...

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Fri Jun 12, '09 1:59pm PST 
I think a whistle is an excellent idea and it works great if you live in a windy area..........lol. Much easier to hear than a voice call or vocal whistle.

I think if you start from a short distance of a few feet and blow the whistle and she comes then reward her. Then gradually increase the distance to where she is reliable from any distance.

I considered using a whistle when we went to the beach b/c it is always windy there and Keiko often wanders too far to hear me yelling over the wind (plus I sometimes wonder if she's losing hearing.............or just being a husky..........lol)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Stella "Blue", Jun 12 5:56 pm

Puppy Place > Breed Guesses???

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Thu Jun 11, '09 8:39pm PST 
Well I'd say she's a mix of more than just 2 breeds.
I see terrier in her face, her earset is very terrier.
I could possibly see beagle too. Not sure on the pointer tho.

Other than that, not sure, I don't see aussie at all. I really don't see boxer either. Both boxers and pointers have very pronounced "stops" (which makes me wonder on that second dog's lineage........looks more border collie to me) which would point to any offspring also having a pronounced stop. Hard to tell how tall she is as well. Judging by her feet, she won't get too big (smaller end of mid sized) which would point to a smaller breed in there somewhere as usually both boxers and pointers are larger and/or heavier dogs.

Gotta love the name though. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Gimli, Jun 20 7:16 am

Behavior & Training > Walking to dogs and keeping in control of the walk?

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Thu Jun 11, '09 8:28pm PST 
We're the same as Dusty. I don't use the command "stay". I use "wait" for anything I want them to stand still about and it's usually paired with them sitting down for the duration of "wait".

However, when I worked for CCI (they train service dogs), they used "wait" and "stay" as 2 completely different commands and were used for different situations. Took awhile to get used to for me. For them "wait" was a short term command, used mostly (if I remember correctly) for waiting for a door to open so they could go in a building. "Stay" was used in the traditional sense of a long term command having to wait for a minute or more.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Moira, Jun 12 8:53 pm

Behavior & Training > training "out"

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Thu Jun 11, '09 8:23pm PST 
I think part of the problem here is how you are praising. Telling her she's good is fine but by petting her, she may think she's being released. I rarely am hands on with praise if I'm asking for something, but verbal and treat based praise is fine.

I have a hand signal added to this as an outstretched arm pointing out of the room..........lol. They seem to listen to that really well. wink I think with repetitive training she'll have it in no time. Its been so long since I've trained this. I think I just stepped in front of them and backed them out of the room w/o touching them but they pick up on it pretty fast.

In fact I used it today b/c I wanted some privacy in the bedroom when I got off work and just wasn't in the mood today to have Nigel jumping all over me on the bed. But mostly its used in the kitchen when cooking or getting food. Our kitchen is quite small and too many feet is just asking for someone to get stepped on so they are told "out" pretty often.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Jun 11 8:30 pm

(Page 1 of 217: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.