GO!

Akita > Do you have this problem too?

Kuma

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 8:52am PST 
I am weary of my akita meeting new people. She wants to bark at them at first glance, then run over with fur raised sniffs them out and walks away. Is this normal? People are afraid of her and I don't blame them!! When I have her on leash she tries to confront everyone by barking or lunging toward them!!! This is my only problem with her that we have been working on. Every time she does this I make her sit at my heel and I wait for the people to pass, but she is still locked on them staring hard. Then I get looked at like I am crazy. It has gotten to the point where we only walk in secluded nature trails. What should I do?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 8 7:10 am

Akita > Please help..
Kuma

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 8:33am PST 
I had the same problem when my akita was that age. I was afraid she was going to hurt one of our cats by playing to rough. Practice being calm, don't wire him up when playing. You're doing great by correcting him right as it happens, but keep on top of it, you have to remind them always. Practice with him grabbing a treat softly from your hand, if he goes to snatch it tell him no, wait for him to settle down and try again using a key word like "soft" or "gentle". Then give him the treat it he grabs it softly. Keep doing this, make sure you set your boundaries! Kuma still gets carried away with the cat sometimes and I say "soft" and she stops mouthing so hard. P.S. Get that boy snipped asap. I was so skeptical about spaying Kuma. Turned out to be the best decision ever!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 25 8:33 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.