GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > Rescued Puppy Mill dog won't stop peeing and pooing in the house
River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 12:06pm PST 
How frustrating, but I'm so glad he has a new home with you!

As others have suggested, I think he just needs some direction on where it is appropriate to go to the bathroom. Since he came from a mill, he was probably crated all the time and had no choice but to go in his crate. This could be why he doesn't mind going to the bathroom in the house. But he also probably hasn't been taught where to go.

One thing you can do is keep him on a leash and near you when he's in the house while you're home. That way you can supervise him and prevent accidents. Then, take him outside every two hours or so. As he's successful for a few days at a time, you can increase the time between taking him out.

I know you don't like crates, and that's OK, but are the accidents occurring when you're not home? You may want to try leaving him in a smaller, blocked off portion of the house such as a bathroom or the kitchen. It might help to leave one of your other dogs with him if he feels more comfortable that way. He may still eliminate there, but at least it will be in one area and easier to clean up.

Ideally, you could have a dog walker come let him out every few hours when you can't make it home. And of course, reward with highly valued treats every time he does go to the bathroom outside.

I did write a post about housetraining an adult dog, which you may find helpful. http://www.dogids.com/blog/potty-train-an-adult-dog/

Hope that gives you some ideas to think about. Let us know if you see any progress. You're doing a great thing by giving a good home to a dog in need.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 2 4:09 pm

Behavior & Training > Any advice? Conditioning for vet visits?
River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Fri Dec 13, '13 12:02pm PST 
I wrote a post about helping a fearful dog at the vet, and it sounds like you are already doing the things I recommended there, especially the fact that you are able to take her to the vet once a week to help her get used to it. http://www.dogids.com/blog/how-to-help-a-fearful-dog-at-the-vet/ But one thing you might want to do is give her highly valued treats in the lobby and in the exam room but then stop giving her treats as soon as you turn to leave. Ideally she would think, "Let's stay here some more so I can keep getting treats."

Of course, that only works if you can find highly valued treats. Maybe something like real chicken would work. You could even take it back a step for now and just visit the vet and give her treats, but don't have anyone touch her. That way it's a mostly positive experience. Keep doing that for a few weeks and then slowly have people touch her briefly.

I agree with the people who recommend keeping her on the floor, as my pets are always much more freaked out on the table because it's so slick and cold. But I also understand you know your dog best. Could you put a blanket over the table so it's less scary? Or perhaps a soft rug, which would be less likely to slip?

I liked the idea someone had about placing cookie sheets on the ground at home for her to walk over and get used to.

I'm just brainstorming here, so take my advice for what it's worth. Hoping it can at least give you some ideas. Keep up the good work.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 14 8:12 pm

Behavior & Training > Desperate - 5 month old puppy excessive biting

River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Fri Dec 13, '13 11:43am PST 
Keep us posted!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 16 4:50 am

Behavior & Training > Desperate - 5 month old puppy excessive biting

River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Tue Dec 10, '13 4:54pm PST 
Have you tried simply getting up and leaving when the puppy bites? Usually that can be effective because they learn that biting equals no more fun. Just walk out of the room without saying anything or making eye contact. Just leave. Then you can return again after a minute or so (short attention spans). If the biting continues, you would leave again.

Maybe you've tried that already. Not sure. Just thought it would be worth a shot.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 16 4:50 am

Small Dogs > Car Harness PLEASE HELP!

River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 1:14pm PST 
I would also recommend some of the Kurgo products. The Kurgo harnesses work great, and there is also the "zip line" type set up so the dog can still move around while harnessed in. http://www.dogids.com/product/auto-zip-line-harness/

It's all about finding the right option for your particular dog, of course. Let us know what you end up getting!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 20 2:58 am

Small Dogs > Super embarrassing question but her goes.....
River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Sun Nov 3, '13 12:44pm PST 
It could be that Austin just needs more time to adjust to each food once you switch it. Not sure how often you're switching foods, but maybe give each one a few months.

I agree, though, that this would be a good question for the dog's vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 21 3:45 pm

Dog Health > Won't eat :( Need help asap!

River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 4:10pm PST 
I'm glad to hear Dante is feeling better. It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on raw diets so I don't have much to add except maybe keep some sort of log of what Dante eats each day. That way you can go back and look at patterns if he starts throwing up again. Track things like which proteins you feed, how much bone, which brands if you use commercial food, how much and what times of day, etc. Just a thought.

I feed my black Lab mix a raw diet, but sometimes I switch back to dry food for a week or so to save money and for convenience. I notice he almost always throws up the yellowish bile on the second day of switching back to raw. (Lovely, I know). Then after that, he's fine. It's like his body is preparing extra acid in anticipation of returning to the raw diet. Who knows.

The main thing is Dante is feeling better! Keep us posted on how he does in the future.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Oct 30 6:35 pm

Dogs & Travel > Holiday travels dilemma

River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 4:40pm PST 
So glad Moose gets to go along. There's always that chance that he will be invited into the house after all. Don't rule it out! smile

I think either idea would be fine, and you should do what you want to do. Moose will be just fine in the garage. He'll be so tired out just from being in a new place, that I bet he'll sleep like a rock. Definitely put a blanket under the crate and over the crate to help trap heat, and give him a thick blanket or two to curl up in. You could also feed him a little extra so he has a bit more energy. I really think he'll be fine, but I know it's hard not to feel bad for them! Keeping him in the garage just seems so much easier and less stressful than driving back and forth from a hotel, but that's just my opinion.

Do you have any type of fleece/coat/sweater he could wear?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 2 5:24 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm pretty sure this is NOT how to bike with your do--thoughts?

River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 4:24pm PST 
I have taken several dogs biking, and I am a runner - always with a dog at my side. I agree that it's best for dogs to run at a "trot" versus an actual run. Sure, they can sprint but only for short distances. You also have to be aware of the dog's paws. If they are not used to running on hard surfaces, they can wear through their pads in a few minutes while running next to a bike.

It's great that the man and woman were out biking their dogs together. I'm willing to bet the dogs loved it! There are plenty of dogs cooped up in the house all day that never get to get out and run. At the same time, safety is important. Let's hope they weren't working their dogs too hard. That would be miserable for the dogs, having no choice but to try and keep up.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Oct 23 2:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Separation/ neurotic behaviors please help
River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 4:14pm PST 
That's a great idea!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 21 4:14 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.