Postings by Skipper

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Can someone help me?
Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 7:48pm PST 
Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone can help me. I'm wanting to start my dog on a Raw Diet but I'm really bad with math so I'm not sure how to figure it all out...

My dog is 15 months old, spayed female, medium energy level, and 39 pounds.

I don't have extra freezer space, just the standard freezer which will also have to hold food for my son & I.

She eats 2 cups of kibble a day (1 in the morning & again at night) and is a healthy weight. She's not eating the "best" kibble out there but not the worst either. Kirkland Chicken & Rice. For a 40 lb bag, I can't remember the exact price but it's definitely less than $35 but I'm thinking more like $30-ish. And it lasts her a decent amount of time but of course my memory isn't allowing me to remember how long exactly but I'd say a couple months or so.

So my questions are...

How many pounds would I feed her daily on raw?

If I don't have extra freezer space then would it even be cost effective?

What does an example diet look like for a day?

Anything else you think would be helpful to know?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Dec 4 5:37 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Asperger's/High Functioning Autism Service Dogs
Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 7:21pm PST 
My son doesn't have an official Autism diagnosis but the doctors who have diagnosed his other disabilities admit that he's "Autistic-like". He also has an Anxiety Disorder (with OCD traits) diagnosis. So I think I may be able to help both of you a bit.

Griffin...I'd think about all of your diagnoses and how they effect your everyday life. After doing that, then you should be able to come up with tasks to train a SD.

For example (& this may help you too Link), my son craves deep pressure, it calms him & kind of "resets" his brain & sensory system so therefore one of the tasks that I'm training his SD is to provide Deep Pressure Therapy when I can tell he's starting to become overstimulated/having a meltdown/anxiety attack, etc. My son's favorite position for this is to lay on his stomach on the ground and have Skipper lay her entire weight across his chest...he just sighs in relief when she does it.

And if you have repetitive behaviors that may be harmful in some way then you can train the dog to redirect by nosing or pawing you.

So there is some ideas for both of you of what an Autism SD can do but there are many more things so it's just thinking about how your daily life is effected & deciding from there.

As far as pros & cons Griffin...pros being if your daily life is truly affected then training the dog tasks will be extremely helpful. Cons being you obviously have the responsibilities of owning a dog plus if you plan on having the dog in public & not just at home then the dog needs to be extremely well behaved, you have to make sure the dog is groomed before you go out, make sure the dog potties before you go into the store or wherever, etc.

Good luck to both of you!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Griffin - CGC, Dec 4 10:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Naming commands for Tasks

Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Fri Nov 29, '13 3:28pm PST 
Thanks for your advice!

My son has a speech delay so it's harder for him to say words correctly but some of the things he says (like Sit or Down), Skipper can understand even if it's not pronounced correctly. But I'll be the main one giving the commands to Skipper because not only does he have the speech delay but when he's in one of his "episodes" (either anxiety, sensory overload/meltdown, or Seizure) then he's not able to really communicate anything or think clearly.

After thinking about the advice you gave & what my son can somewhat say; I'll use the Lay command for the Deep Pressure Therapy since I use Down for general use when I want her to down.

Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Levi, Feb 2 2:37 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > We Earned our Training Vest! (and, HELP!!!!!)

Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Fri Nov 29, '13 7:53am PST 
You've gotten some good advice so I'll just say congrats on earning your Training Vest. applause
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Faith, Dec 27 11:57 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > New to this Forum

Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Fri Nov 29, '13 7:49am PST 
Welcome! wave
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sir Balin le Savage (Balin), Dec 2 9:47 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Naming commands for Tasks
Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Fri Nov 29, '13 7:47am PST 
I have a question about naming commands for tasks...

Some are obvious like the Brace command is for bracing but I have one that is stumping me. One of the task that I'm training Skipper for is Deep Pressure Therapy for when my son gets extremely anxious or he's having a meltdown or just needing that input. I've seen some people use the Lap or Lap Up command but my son won't always be sitting in fact his preference is to lay on his stomach and Skipper put her entire weight accross his back...he sighs in relief. I've just been using the Down command for that because I don't know what else to call it but that's what I use when I just want her to down in general so I don't want her to get confused about what I'm asking of her.

Does it even matter what I call it? I'm probably thinking too hard about this, I tend to do that but I thought I'd ask the people who have done this longer than I have.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Levi, Feb 2 2:37 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Questions on hands free leads

Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 6:18pm PST 
I think I may have the same one Samson is talking about but maybe not. But it goes over my head and one shoulder too.

I LOVE it! It's so convenient having hands free but still in control if needed. It has different rings on the leash so your dog can be different distances from you. It also comes with a free patch for the lead which I chose "Do Not Pet". The leash is a decent price too.

I got mine plus all my other SD supplies from activedogs.com; love the company and love their products.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Beowulfs Beauregard CGC CGCA, Nov 17 6:23 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Does anybody else have a child with an SD

Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 9:56am PST 
I'm training a SD for my son but she's only a SDiT so haven't been where you've been yet but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Diesel, Oct 23 4:51 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dogs for Asthma??

Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 2:11pm PST 
Also I suggest doing a lot of rearch on what it takes to be a SD, the laws, rights, responsiblities, etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Charlie Chaplin, Oct 22 9:09 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dogs for Asthma??
Skipper

SDiT

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 1:58pm PST 
Sorry to hear about your dog.

As far as your question...

If this SD is going to be a Home-Only SD then yes you can easily train one to do some tasks to help you.

If you want to take the dog in public then that's more difficult (not impossible) because Public Access training is the hardest part of training a SD. However, if you got lucky and found a dog with the correct personality and you worked hard training/socializing it (perhaps with the help of a professional trainer) then you could definitely have a SD from that source but it's more difficult like I said before because even dogs who are from generations of breeding programs specifically for this purpose and raised by puppy raisers; not all of them have the right personality for public access work. But my motto is nothing is impossible, you just have to do what feels right to you and your situation. I'm training a SD from a small no-kill shelter and that's what felt right to me. I got lucky finding a dog with her personality, she's doing great with her training including public access but only time will tell if she turns out up to par for what's needed for public access. I decided long before I got her though that if not, then the dog will just be a Home-Only SD and that was okay with me. I'd re-evaluate after a few years and at that point apply for a SD organization dog.

So my point being...it's up to you what you need, what you feel like you can handle, etc. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Charlie Chaplin, Oct 22 9:09 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.