GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Behavior & Training > x post from Travel .... Travel Anxiety
Ranger

Stranger Danger- Rescue Ranger is- ready!

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 6:21am PST 
I had thought about it, but it seems to be getting a little better with the thundershirt now (slightly better) and that wouldn't happen with motion sickness would it?

The other day I gave him a chew in the back and it seemed to work a bit (keeping his attention on something) so we might try a bully stick or something for ONLY travel.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 6 6:21 am

Ranger

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 10:45am PST 
My car can't really support a kennel the size he would need with access to the door for him to get in...I do have a small car lol.

I may try one of those collars and see if that works in conjunction. Do I leave it on all the time, or just put it on prior to travel?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 6 6:21 am

Ranger

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 6:58am PST 
Where does your dog go in the car? Do you find there is a difference as to whether they're in the back or not?

I've noticed now that with the Thundershirt he doesn't drool as much (barely any on the trip out, not coated on the way back); however, it's still not the best yet.

Ranger's two and I've been told he'll grow out of it too, but I am not convinced yet...
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 6 6:21 am

Raw Food Diet > Partial RAW?

Ranger

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 1:45pm PST 
I will definitely start off slow and watch him outside...he isn't a really big pooper now (well, for a dog on kibble, you guys would probably be shocked at the amount). I just feel that if I had to eat kibbled food day in and out it would get veryyyyy boring.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 4 3:52 am

Ranger

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 12:15pm PST 
Yeah, Ranger tends to get the pizza crusts and leftovers that we have too...

I will start looking for inexpensive meat to start adding to his meals.

Also, when you guys feed eggs....do you just give them a whole egg, as in still able to roll around?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 4 3:52 am

Ranger

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 11:45am PST 
That sounds like something that we can possibly try starting out. Ranger doesn't seem to have a sensitive tummy (except when he ate 2 cups of wheat cat litter red face )and loves eating veggies, etc that I offer while cooking.

I seem to remember avian bones being bad for dogs...was that a fallacy now with more study or is it when they're cooked they are bad? If I just give him a breast or whatever with the bones in it, will he manage ok?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , May 4 3:52 am

Ranger

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 11:05am PST 
I've been reading over all the RAW positive comments not just here but all over the internet.

I do not think I am in a place yet to be able to feed raw, but is there a possibility of including some raw feeding into a kibble diet...or are you just going to be looking at upset tummies all the time? I would love to be able to give my dog chicken and bone or other items as treat meals throughout the week, but not if it'll only cause him problems.

So much information out there
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , May 4 3:52 am

Dog Health > Need reassurance... I hope I'm not making a bad decision

Ranger

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 6:39pm PST 
Can someone explain to me the reasons for keeping a male dog unaltered. I can understand if they will be breeding, are being shown (I believe that animals cannot be altered for certain levels of showing, someone can correct me if I'm wrong) and I've heard that they keep male dogs unaltered for police/military work and they say it increases their drive)...apart from those reason I have only heard positives for castration such as less issues interacting with other dogs (from their side or the other dogs), lowers unwanted behaviours, no chance of becoming a dad, AND the health benefits...can't get testicular cancer if you don't have them haha.

I have been out of the dog world for a few years now and wondering if the line of thinking had changed.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , May 7 8:56 pm

Behavior & Training > Loudest mouth at the dog park....

Ranger

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 6:01pm PST 
Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it.

At our dog park most of the people walk about twenty feet into the off leash area and then stand around with their dogs careening around and acting crazy. I tend to go with one of my girl friends and we walk the path (about 5-10 minutes to complete) which means that it gives us time to be away with the dogs and calm down, sniff, etc. I don't like just standing around as I feel the excitement and stimulation gets to be a little much for all of the dogs (plus it means I get exercise too haha).

I'll keep with the plan I've been following which is if a dog is playing with him we stay for a bit in the busy area; otherwise we walk around. Generally if a dog gives him a snap/look he goes away, but the ones who just stand there or look uncomfortable make us move on.

Thanks smile Dog parks are tricky...I'm still learning all the etiquette of the place and which dogs to stay away from. Just don't want people rolling their eyes when they see us coming.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 29 6:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Loudest mouth at the dog park....
Ranger

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 12:01pm PST 
...ok, he's beat by the coonhound and theis one foxhound that go there, but darnit those dogs were bred to bay.

I've had Ranger for 5 weeks now and things are going well at the dog park. He loves to chase the fast dogs, wrestles with the tumble dogs and is gentle with the little dogs. If there is a scuffle, he isn't the type to get involved but would rather come back to me or wander off on his own (does not like confrontation). He's also learned that I am more fun and sticks a little closer to me.

But then, there is his voice. He's not a vocal dog at home or in the house (people can come in the door without even a bark sometimes) and he's fine in the backyard with the crazy little dog next door barking his head off.

If there isn't a dog that wants to play with him at the park, he's barker...he'll find the dog that was playing with him before he got tired or one that he thinks will play and he barks. He'll do it in a play bow, he'll bark at their tail, he'll bark in their face. No one there seems to mind, and when I've told him before to quiet down everyone always says it doesn't matter....

Am I being too paranoid? There are no other dogs that bark like that at the park and as a person who has only started using the dog park (I've always lived in places that have acres of land to explore with your dog) I feel like my dog is being a pain.

I'll call him to me and 90% of the time he comes. 5% he starts coming but then the other dog will try to jump on him or run by to play and 5% he stands there barking in their facxe until I go get him.

Any advice?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 29 6:01 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.