GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Senior Dogs > My little senior and his magical pain meds (and some unusual behavior)
Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 2:35pm PST 
Great news! Cosmos was tested today and his liver has gone from about 330 to 120!!! His recommended number is 100 so he is barely above it! Yay!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 3:21 am

Behavior & Training > Disposable and super cheap male diapers!!! (this is not an advertisement btw ;-) )
Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 2:15pm PST 
If your like me, you have been extremely frustrated that disposable diapers are made for female dogs, but not males. Let's face it, reusable diapers are gross, pee seeps around the maxi pad and the diaper gets wet, and then you have to wash the diapers, and if your dog has a really bad night, anything he lays on will smell like urine in the morning. Throwing diapers in with your laundry: ok, I try to be open minded, after all the water gets really hot and soapy, but it's gross. And at the end of the day, your really not saving a ton of money with your reusable diaper because your maxi pad bill just went through the roof. And if your dog is like mine, the dog diapers don't fit. So...

I left my dog at a friends house this weekend with size one baby diapers that were long enough to work, and told her to cut a hole out for the tail, but my dog hated having it put over his tail and was being a brat with my friend, so they found a solution: when you take the diaper out of the bag, don't unwrap it, just unfold it down the middle, you will see that you have something that looks like a male wrap. wrap it around your dog just like you would a belly band, take the sticky edges and connect the two sides together with them. Now you've got cheap, disposable, easy diapers with no cutting or cleaning, and because they are made for babies and not for your period, they hold a LOT of pee and I have not had a problem with leaking yet! hamster dance

If your worried about cost: I use to buy a pack of 20 cheapo maxi pads for I think $3 or $4, that was the K Mart brand and as cheap as I could find them, I now buy a pack of 50 size one baby diapers (for my 6 pound dog) for $6 (the walmart brand but I haven't looked around for cheaper options yet), and they are cheaper if you buy in larger bulk.

Can I just say, I love my friend for discovering this?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 22 2:15 pm

Senior Dogs > My little senior and his magical pain meds (and some unusual behavior)

Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:10pm PST 
Thanks, according to my vet the pain meds should not be effecting his behavior, they think that he just doesn't know his strength now that he's not in pain, I'm just not sure how to deal with it other then to let him realize his strength and figure out how to deal with it, I'm just afraid that in the mean time he'll make it into a habit and I'm not sure what to do about that. Any thoughts on that would be great.

I guess I wrote that in a confusing way... he was starting to act those other ways before he was started on the pain meds, they just seem to be getting worse lately.

Thanks for reading my really long post and responding!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 3:21 am

Small Dogs > How much does your Chihuahua weigh?

Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 8:28pm PST 
My pure bread rescue weighs 6.2 pounds (we were at the vet today), anything bw 6 amd 7 makes his vet happy, I'd prefer around 6.5 personally. My chi/terrier rescue weighs 17 pounds. Since you have have a mix there's no telling, but most chi/terrier mixes I've seen are still under 20 pounds. The one I had growing up was around 30 but also overweight.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 16 8:38 am

Small Dogs > Opinions on dog parks...

Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 8:20pm PST 
My dogs go to the park all the time! They love it and we feel really safe. We do have a small side but we normally go on the big side, the dogs there are more fun to play with. Cosmos will jump up and growl in the big dog faces and they back down, it's fun to watch my little 6 pound dog make a pit bull back down! He has rarely had a dog not back down, and when they don't, I pick him up and take him to the other side.

He is at a healthy weight now that we're going, before he was too heavy, he is super social and good with other dogs. One thing I have noticed is that when people walk in with the dog still on a leash, problems are way more likely to happen. Dogs on leashes feel trapped so they start to protect themselves, take him off a leash and you'll see a huge difference! And don't be scared, but try to take him at a time when there won't be as many people, like during the week before 5 pm, and follow him closely as he greats the other dogs. If there's an issue, pick him up and leave.

I am sorry to the other person who has had problems with irresponsible dog owners at the park. The owners I have met are considerably more responsible at the park generally speaking then dog owners I have met anywhere else. When i go, there are guys playing fetch, running with there dogs, talking about there dogs (a live message board!) and keeping an eye on everything. There's always one person reading or on their cell phone, but that person is normally one who has been to the park so many times that they don't feel the need to do anything but sun bath while there nonthreatening dog plays.

Give it a shot! You will meet great people and your dog will make lots of friends! You may have to encourage her to play if she's not use to it- just refuse to give her attention unless there's a problem, don't pet her while telling her to play, for example, but do help her out if there's a bad situation.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 22 8:48 am

Small Dogs > Does anyone have their small dog go on pee pads instead of outside?
Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 8:07pm PST 
Not allowing her to go outside for months sounds like a really bad and unhealthy idea. I've seen a lot of people do this with small dogs to protect them, and honestly, the dogs turn out not like dogs at all, they get scared easily, hate strangers or hide from them, don't walk well on a leash, are really hard to find homes for (just in case you can't keep them...). If it was up to me, my chi would be trained to use the pee pad but I would also walk him often. Take your puppy to the vet and get his/her opinion on when he or she can go outside, socialize your dog with as many humans and other dogs as possible, go to the dog park and walk her around letting people walk up to her and pet her. It'll be good for her and she won't learn to live her life in fear.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 15 8:07 pm

Small Dogs > HELP! Picky Eater Shih Tzu!

Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 7:59pm PST 
Yes, refuse food until he eats kibble, it is the only way. I leave my dogs food down all day though, they have monitored themselves pretty well on there own. But last year when I noticed a decrease in food consumption, I put the treats away, the food consumption went back up and I forced myself to give out less treats. It's not good for your dog to eat mostly bread, in fact, in such a small body, your dog could be loosing important nutrients that can result in major health issues. Naturally, a dog would never eat bread or wheat, sugar, yeast, whatever, not to mention that bread is low in protein! Believe me, you will do your dog a better service by creating a situation where he may not eat for a few days then you are by allowing him to eat a bread diet. In a way, you are giving candy to a kid because the kid refuses to eat anything else, that's bad parenting.

I'm not trying to lecture you, I'm just making a point. I know it's scary to think of your dog not eating for a few days but it is the best thing for your dog in the long run!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 28 6:27 am

Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 6:11pm PST 
These past 5 days have been crazy and horrible, and a big growing moment for me. I have always said quality over quantity and prepared myself in every way possible for that- and when we (when I say we, I am referring to my dog and I) got the bad news Wednesday, I chose quality over quantity without a second thought.

First of all, let me introduce my baby: Cosmos is a nearly 11 year old pure bread chihuahua rescue who I got exactly one year ago, his first owner got him from a pretty horrible pet store and I am fairly certain he's a puppy mill dog. His first owner had not taken him to the vet in 8 years! She fed him high quality food and seemed to really care about his health, but is anti vaccinations and was afraid they would report her for not having him vaccinated for rabies, so they just didn't go to the vet. When I got him his teeth were pretty bad, so I got him dog insurance, he got his teeth cleaned, his blood tested, his vaccines, his physicals, antibiotics, care for a cold, several prescription meds, more blood panels, more physicals, fish oil, vitamins, prescription diets...

And that brings us to last week. He was diagnosed with a condition where his knees pop out of socket last year, he's limped around some but has been ok... until I took him outside last Wednesday, and he was walking as if he was in a lot of pain. I called the vet and set up an appointment for that same day, he went in and was prescribed pain meds for inflammation, the catch is that the meds they think will help will destroy his liver! This is because he has a liver at more then 3 times the normal level for a dog his size already, and it's only going to get worse with meds that are processed by the liver. BUT I was prepared for this, I tearfully told the vet that I chose quality or quantity, she agreed with my decision and wrote out a script.

It has been four days and he is like a puppy again! Running and jumping and dancing on his back legs, playing fetch, going to the dog park and even went on a hike! So first of all, I'd like to encourage all of you to choose quality over quantity, I know it's hard but its' the best think for your dog! Cosmos's life may be shorter, but it will be filled with the activities he loves. And if your pet needs pain meds- get them! His cost $11 per month and are SO worth it! You can get them cheaper in generic form at Walmart then you can from your vet- FYI.

So, here are the weird things I have noticed this week/lately: he has started to act more aggressive, noticeably at the dog park, but also towards me/strangers approaching him, growling at me if I wake him up, move a foot in bed and it touches him, that type of thing, and at people who approach him. This is really unusual for him. He's always been slightly stand offish, and slightly aggravated when I bother him when he's sleeping, but not quite to this degree. I told his vet today at another appointment (gotta love health insurance!) and she said it should not relate to his meds. It could relate to the fact that he has more energy now since he's not in pain, so what was a normal reaction before could be seen as aggressive now- simply because he doesn't know his strength. But there have not been reports of dogs becoming aggressive on his pain meds.

The other thing that has been a problem for a few months now is his wondering off- at first I thought it was kinda cute, like he was ditzy and couldn't focus enough to come to me when I call, but lately it has been getting worse. I will call and call and he won't come. Last week I let him outside one day and a neighbor caught him wondering into the street where he has never gone before, so I've been following him outside instead of letting him go out alone. He does have my other younger dog tailing him, which makes me feel a bit safer, but I still won't let him out alone. At first when he stopped responding as quickly, I thought that maybe his hearing was going, but his wandering in the street and all is out of character for him. Also, if he's at the top of the hill and I call to him from the bottom, it takes him a moment to hear me, then he'll start trotting down the hill, get distracted and I'll have to break him out of a sniffing spell to get his attention again. He's always been kinda distracting but it's becoming a concern at this point bc he's really NOT able to focus!

Any thoughts?

PS I have had a lot of people on another forum recommend other pain meds that don't interfere with the liver, I have talked about and thought about them a LOT, I asked his vet for an alternative but this is what she recommends for him, I have asked about other options but she seems to think this one is the best for his pain, since your not a vet or my dogs vet, please don't try to convince me that she is wrong... she is great, cares about my dog, knows his history better then anyone else and I trust her. Cosmos trusts her. I am going with what she recommends.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 3:21 am

Senior Dogs > what is considered senior for a toy breed?

Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 5:41pm PST 
According to my vet small/toy dogs are seniors at the age of 9.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 4 12:37 pm

Senior Dogs > Things That Make Your Senior Young Again
Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 5:39pm PST 
Cosmos just started his prescription pain meds 4 days ago, he has arthritis and his knees in his back legs pop out of place every time he stands up. The pain meds are AMAZING! They cost me $11 per month and improve his life so much, I am so thankful for them.. if your dog is suffering from pain, please please do the right thing and get him/her on some meds!

Other then his drugs, he enjoys: the dog park (we are always the oldest dog there!), rides on my scooter (he has a seat belt and dog seat, he loves riding!), treats, hikes, walks downtown, fetch, picking out toys at the pet store (spoiled) and chasing around the boys he has crushes on... he's been protesting with me and done great! I have had him for one year this month and he turns 11 in June. We are working on some health issues but I refuse to slow down, we are going to enjoy playing until he's in too much pain for the meds to help.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 15 5:39 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.