GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > Reliable Patch Venders?

Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 10:44pm PST 
Do NOT use servicedoghouse.com. They are scammers and don't ever send merchandise!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 28 6:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Laughing Eyes Kennels
Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 4:37am PST 
I don't have any positive suggestions, but I'd stay away from Heeling Allies, as I have a friend who was burned pretty badly by them and another who has a dog that needed to wash out because he was an inappropriate candidate for service work.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 5 2:40 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Laughing Eyes Kennels

Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:26am PST 
Hi there. Yes, Echo is from LEK. I'm having a bit of a brain fog this morning so I had to copy your questions so I don't forget any.

1. What is the cost of a dog?
The cost of a dog is $5000, with a $1000 deposit once you have a dog picked for you, and the remaining $4000 due at the end of team training.

2. How long is the waiting list? (as by your experience)
I waited approximately 5-6 months from the time I first inquired until team training.

3. When in the process does a handler get paired with a dog?
After filling out and sending in all appropriate forms from you and your doctor/s pertaining to your health, diagnoses, strengths, weaknesses, and dog trait preferences.

4. Are breed/color preferences taken into consideration?
At this current time, LEK only has labradors. Last I checked, they had no intentions to breed or bring any other breed into their program. I wasn't told Echo's color until after I agreed he sounded like a good match for me, based on a long conversation with the head trainer about what I did/did not want as traits in a dog.

5. Can you describe your experience?
My experience up until team training was overwhelmingly positive. Team training, while promised two weeks, was only six days. The head trainer, I felt, was abrasive (though likely unintentionally), and Echo was given a stern correction on a chain martingale collar, which surprised me, as I was told that LEK was a positive reinforcement only program. Echo spooked several times during TT, and I found it odd that I was only allowed to reward using praise and touch as opposed to a treat or toy. Turns out, Echo had never seen another toy or dog really, aside from his male kennel mates, most being litter mates. He had never had a toy, or encountered many things I didn't expect him to be afraid of. A small child, a person of color, a bicycle... all things I would have expected less of a balking response from. Echo has been going through a readjustment period as I retrain him using +R methods exclusively. I have had to change several of his cues due to him being overly stressed out by them. Echo had some tracheal damage when he came, likely from improper use of a martingale collar. He frequently chokes and gags because of this.

While I don't blame LEK, nor do I regret getting Echo, I do regret spending as much as I did (once you calculate in flights, rental car, and hotels for a week, you come up with an extra $2000) on an improperly, unfinished dog. I think LEK has its heart in the right place, but I feel their program could be greatly improved with the use of puppy raisers. Again, while I appreciate what LEK is doing, I wouldn't recommend them.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Aug 5 2:40 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Considering a SD

Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 2:52pm PST 
I'm going to tag on with Ridgies being a good breed for you, as well as potentially a doberman.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jun 4 6:01 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Times people suck? Vent here!

Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Sat May 25, '13 4:46pm PST 
When I had my previous SDIT Kismet in Walmart I had a Walmart worker come up to me, asking if I was blind. I said no. She said to then get me and my *expletive* mutt out of her store! I tried explaining that Kizzie was a SDIT and we had rights, but my social anxiety and stutter jumbled it. She kicked Kizzie and I just stared at her. Kismet was whimpering in a ball and the woman said "Whatcha gonna do, retard?" and just walked off laughing. I picked Kizzie up and held her while I cried and my friend caught up to me and I told her what had happened and she furiously told a manager. I still had to wash Kismet out.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 29 3:46 pm

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Wilmington NC
Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 10:53am PST 
We're in Chapel Hill.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 18 10:53 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Best place for ID/mobility harness for golden retriever

Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 8:33pm PST 
You realize if you go around flashing an ID it makes it harder for others who come after you who may not have an ID to show, because it is not required, yet some gatekeepers think that since ou showed one, they must be able to require one from every team. Please, do not get the ID to show around to just anyone.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 10:35 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Introducing Brady

Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 8:33pm PST 
Welcome from NC!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Apr 12 5:33 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Summer activities with your SD

Echo

Super Service- Dog!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 8:31pm PST 
I'm taking Echo when we go to the Fair, and I've been to Busch Gardens with a SD. They were very nice and let us know where the SD rest areas were throughout the park. If you wish to ride the rides I know Disney (not sure about other) parks have crates at each ride for you to put your SD in if you don't wish to hand him to a family member or friend.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 6 5:08 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.