GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Dog Health > Sudden peeing in the house - 8 yo Min Pin
Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Wed Feb 26, '14 7:57am PST 
Thanks guys!

I removed the area rug where the pee spot was and disinfected the floor yesterday before leaving the house. When I came back from work, there was nothing. No pee anywhere. No peeing during the night either and no apparent discomfort.

So what I think happened is that maybe there was one "accident" and the smell stayed in the carpet and that gave him an "ok" to go there again. I will wash the carpet with heavy duty cleaning stuff made specifically for doggie accidents before putting it back.

I didn't restrict access and the dog was never crated but I did reward him for going outside and will keep doing so for a while. I really think it happened a few times because of the smell after the first incident. I'll keep monitoring but if there are no further accidents from now on, I think I can discount any medical issue since it seems to be an isolated bundle of incidents which has stopped since I removed the "pee trigger" hah.

Thanks for the advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Feb 26 7:57 am

Dog Health > Sudden peeing in the house - 8 yo Min Pin
Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Tue Feb 25, '14 8:22am PST 
It seems that since Saturday, my 8 year old min pin has decided to relieve himself on the living room carpet. I'm not sure how often this has occurred but since I discovered it, it's one area that seems to consist of several pee incidents.

In the past, he has only done this maybe twice or three times in the ten months I've had him since his adoption.

He is good during the night and during the day, the boyfriend takes him out on his lunchbreaks most days. The max time he is without going outside is nine hours and this has never been a problem before.

Since this seems pretty sudden, I am trying to rule out any possible medical reasons first. UTI comes to mind but is there anything else that should be discounted? His drinking/eating patterns have not changed. The dogs have water available to them throughout the day but I haven't noticed any excessive drinking.

I will of course consult my vet and address this ASAP but I just wanted to hear from the good people on the forum.

If there is nothing medical, then it would be a behavioral issue and again, I cannot come up with anything that would have changed over the past little while that would somehow trigger this.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Feb 26 7:57 am

Dog Health > So.....How cold is it where you are?

Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 1:45pm PST 
It's -22 right now but with the wind chill, it's been feeling more like -40. Naturally, the dogs do not like to stay outside long. I put sweaters on the min pins just to go to potty outside. The mutt is fine but even she doesn't like to stay too long. It's supposed to warm up this weekend to "only" about -4 which is tolerable and we can make it to the dog park.

I really have to say that I don't regret the money I spent on the doggie treadmill as it is impossible to exercise the dogs outside when it's cold like this (and honestly, I don't want to be outside either!). The treadmill definitely drains their energy and stops them from picking up other "hobbies", such as chewing on couches, haha
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Kali, Jan 9 5:13 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Worried no other dog will live up to her...

Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 12:16pm PST 
Lupi wrote: "To the others: Are there things you actually enjoy more with your second dog?"

I have three now. I've lived with multiple dogs for about 12 years now and what I enjoy the most is the variety of personalities. So one dog is super cuddly, the other is more playful, the third is pretty lazy and it's all good and I connect with all of them. I would hate for them to be all the same. Then what is the point of having more than one?

So essentially, do not compare other dogs to the dog you already have. Learn to appreciate them as individuals with distinct personalities, enjoy the variety and the fun and challenge that comes with that.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jan 14 2:44 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > A Rescue vs Rehome Rant

Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 11:43am PST 
Agreed. However, I think that most of the warnings about Craigslist are for people who put their dogs on the site to rehome and not for those looking to adopt a dog this way. And those warnings are there for a good reason and I'm sure we can all agree on that.

There does need to be something for that "market". But until then, the onus is on the owners who are rehoming to do it responsibly even without a specialized website or any supervision from shelters or rescues.

I find it unfortunate that some people would be discouraged from adopting this way (especially if it's a shelter doing the discouraging). It is after all in the best interest of the rescues and shelters to not discourage it since, if not rehomed, the dogs DO end up at the shelter. So it's preventive, in a way. Again, maybe it's a mix of attitudes and resources.

And yes, everything should be done to encourage adoption in any form. Going to a breeder is not as much of a problem as going to a pet shop... oh and that brings me back to the use of the word "rescue": I recently heard people say that they rescued a dog from a pet shop. Not once... multiple times... SERENITY NOW!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Jan 19 10:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > A Rescue vs Rehome Rant
Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 9:11am PST 
I think that the problem that rescues have with getting involved in rehoming is the lack of resources and the sheer number of animals that are already on their hands. Not that I disagree that they shouldn't. Just pointing out what I see as the major reason why they don't.

I am all for rehoming and the idea of rescues helping with the process but I'm also a HUGE fan of personal responsibility. As in, it's the personal responsibility of the owner to do this right. Pretty much everyone has an internet connection these days. Just googling "how to rehome a dog" gave me a couple of helpful articles from the ASPCA and Cesar Millan which include a list of questions to ask a potential adopter, what to do before rehoming, what to look for, etc.

So the information on how to do this is out there. The real problem is that a lot of people rehoming are not willing to take the necessary steps and just want to get rid of the dog asap.

As for the use of the term "rescue", I was just talking about this with a friend who is an investigator at the local humane society (and who actually rescues animals). There are different levels and I find it is unfair to say that I rescued my dogs since they already been "rescued" by a shelter, then taken out by a breed specific rescue, then put in a foster home. I adopted. The hard work was already done by others so I'm not going to take credit for that. I know it's such a trendy term now and I agree that every pet in a safe and loving home is what counts but maybe there needs to be different words for different levels of involvement in the process of taking a dog from a bad (or potentially bad) situation and putting them into that safe and loving home. And because it's so trendy to "rescue", I mean just look at facebook at all the death row posts that circulate, I can totally see how people would lose interest in a dog that already appears to be out of immediate danger as was the case in the transport story above. One should get a dog because they want to give it a loving home, not because they want to pat themselves on the back for having done a good deed and go on about how they "rescued" it.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Jan 19 10:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed for my sister (not a poodle please).

Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 7:35am PST 
The way you describe her, I agree with everyone else that the only kind she should have is the stuffed one!

I hope she gets over the idea! If not, hopefully you'll be able to talk her out of it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Jan 3 12:52 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Worried no other dog will live up to her...

Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 6:18am PST 
You will never get a clone of a dog... well, unless you get it cloned.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment and think about how unfair your expectations will be for the new dog.

I'd suggest going to a breed specific rescue and look at adult dogs or getting a retired breeder so that at least you have an idea about the dog's personality. But still, don't get a new dog if that will only make you nostalgic about the old dog because it will show in how you treat that dog.

Best of luck with your decision.
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jan 14 2:44 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Trendy Dogs of the Year 2013

Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 5:53am PST 
Kyri.... I think you misunderstood. None of the posters were bashing the original poster and realize that the OP copied and pasted from a Yahoo article. Also, people do not have a problem with the breeds themselves, but those breeds falling into the wrong hands. Anyway, that's how I read the replies shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 3:46 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Trendy Dogs of the Year 2013
Hershey

Adopt, don't- shop

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 10:19am PST 
So many wrongs with that article! Who is this Kristen Seymour?? I wonder how she compiled such list and what her qualifications are. I just hope her 'musings' do no have much influence on irresponsible people who will now think that a cane corso, for example, is an excellent idea as a first dog or something. Eeek!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 3:46 am

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.