Postings by Jake & Sweet Caroline

GO!

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Saying Good Bye to Jackie O, the first dog i helped cross the bridge
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '14 10:46pm PST 
Jackie was an interesting and Unique dog. Because she was not my personal dog she never found her way to dogster I'm afraid. My mother isn't one for computer blogs or any of that stuff. But jackie was very special to me and to her non the less. My mother treated Jackie like the third child she never had even though we only had for for a year and two months. She was 8 with behavioral problems and an attitude.

She was the type of dog they make those movies about... she was Smart (all poodles are I think), she was a head case (chased cats, barked at other dogs, listened only when she wanted to) and most of all she was fast she was a bolter and would go the second she saw a door open (needless to say we never left doors open)

Today has been a rather horrible day for various reasons... my banking account was compromised, I returned home to retrieve something I left before going to work to find my dogs had all escaped the yard. Thankfully Jake and Caroline simply walked their walk route and returned to the house but Jackie had all but disappeared. I drove all over, asked random strangers for assistance and plead with God to return her to us even if it meant me finding her in the street. After several calls to various animal control stations I finally got a hit back, they had found her crumpled up on someone's front lawn under a bush.

I beat the patrol truck back and after identifying her and getting her stable enough to move we made our way to our vet, the vet she's known for the last 6 months after we moved. He is a fair and honest man and I wanted it to be him who told me if something wasn't going to be okay. After paying for xrays and getting phone calls and making phone calls (my boss is very understanding about my fur kids) I waited around at the vets office all day for her to go into surgery for a mass that had ruptured. It turns out she had some form of malignant cancer and regardless of running away she would have died from it. It had spread all over her insides.

it turns out the mass was the size of my fist or a large orange and she had been suffering. Neither my mother or I took her change in behavior as a sign she was hurting. My mother has been away at a work conference for a few days already and I was the one who had to tell her first Jackie was missing, then she had been hit by a car(assumed no one saw or reported the accident), then we were at a vet awaiting surgery and finally tell her after it was all done that Jackie wasn't in pain anymore. cry

I had to make a very hard call but the vet told me and I saw for myself the prognosis was not good. I'm just happy they let me be with her. I got to pet her and tell her I was sorry for not noticing sooner something was wrong. I got to tell her Jake and Caroline were going to miss her and I wasn't sure what we were going to do. I even told her the cats that she often chased would miss her harassment. And i told her most of all I was sorry my mom couldn't be here with her.

I feel Jackie came to us to help my mother through her divorce and through very rough emotional times but sensing things were getting better she decided now was her time to go.

She was the first dog I ever had to personally make the call to euthanize because there was no other way. It's funny because I used to talk so much game about euthanasia and how I would know when the time was right and I would understand there was nothing more that could be done for the pet in question. But today sitting in the vets office having him tell me there was nothing that could be done. It was hard to have to give the order.

Sitting with her during and after it was over and knowing she wasn't suffering anymore was so hard. I was happy for her and told her waiting and the bridge wouldn't be so bad if she didn't mind this bad a$$ cat we once had named Sunday who adored my mother.

I guess I'm rambling here because I know you guys will understand on some level how much it hurts. Its a type of pain I had never felt before.

Every time I go to do something or go to name off something I still include her. Jake, Jackie and Caroline this, or its time to eat guys Jackie come on... but knowing she's never going to run through the door again hurts.

Does it ever get better? I mean its only been a few hours but I feel like I messed up. Even though the vet assured me and I know there was nothing that could have been done for Jackie. I just feel like i let her down. Is this a normal feeling after you have to assist a dog in crossing the bridge?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Dec 10 5:19 pm

Dog Health > Crying at Night
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Fri Dec 5, '14 12:13am PST 
Hi All,

Mom thinks its a health problem too. Caroline will be going to the vet soon for a full check up. Her last one was a few months ago and other then the heart murmur she checked out okay. But Mom says we can never be too careful with her. I think she just wants lots of attention... thinking

Mom has gotten rather creative with the room situation since the reason we couldn't sleep in the room was because of the cats. My mom managed to rescue this little black apparently not edible ball of fur (don't ask me why not. I got in trouble for trying to eat him naughtynaughty ) While he sleeps in my old dog crate the older cat who's 10 is a free roamer in the room and I may or may not have tried to eat him on more then one occation... and caroline may or may not have treed him on the cat tree... We both plead the 5th and gave cute puppy dog eyes to get out of serious trouble... But as a result we were banned from the room since we stressed the older cat out and tried to eat him a few times even when supervised. (okay that was just me but Caroline was the one who treed him) and since one of Mom's house mates is allergic to cats they have to stay in the bedroom. But mom being as inventive as she is found a solution after some deep consideration and one of the roommates attempting to make us sleep outside in the garage when it was raining!! Mom wouldn't stand for that they got into an argument about it.

Mom dug one of our old door gates out of the garage and put it up in her closet. She now calls her walk in Closet the dog den at night and since there Caroline hasn't been making so much as a peep unless I step on her anyway... and now we all get to be in the "Same" room. Mom even leaves the closet door open so we can see her.

So I will update everyone if there's an under line health problem other then seperation issues with Caroline but for now this problem is solved. hopefully it will stay that way.

From,

Mr Jake the Beagle

Mom would like everyone to know she never planned on giving away Caroline. But is thankful to everyone who responded.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Willow, Dec 5 10:27 am

Dog Health > Crying at Night

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '14 2:36pm PST 
Hello,

So Mom's not sure if this is a senior issue or a health issue but she's putting it here just in case.

So, Sweet Caroline is 11 years old this past March). Things have been going great until recently. Our living situation has changed and for reasons beyond our mother's control we cannot sleep in the room with her anymore. For a week this was fine, Caroline would cry for a few minutes but then stop and go to sleep. But now she cries for hours at night and non of us can get to sleep.

Anyway I overheard the other humans in the house talking about his being a very serious problem since the other humans aren't able to sleep either and she's starting to grate on their nerves.

So mom would like to know if there's a health reason for Caroline to be like this. She never did this before but from the way the humans are talking she won't be allowed to do it much longer and mom doesn't want to have to give her away.

Any help in this matter would be appreciative.

From,

Jake the Beagle
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Willow, Dec 5 10:27 am

Dog Health > Pale Gums & Not Really Eating

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Thu May 29, '14 7:03am PST 
Mr. Beagle will be fine smile He was apparently had a really bad upset stomach and was a bit dehydrated. The vet gave him a shot for nausea and he was back to his usual self by yesterday morning smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 9:40 pm

Dog Health > Pale Gums & Not Really Eating

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Tue May 27, '14 6:15pm PST 
Hello all,

I'm not too sure Mr. Beagle is doing good. He's been rather picky lately about food, not wanting to eat just about anything. He ate really good on Sunday but since yesterday he has refused to eat without some serious prompting. Even chicken fat and skins barely worked to get him to kind of eat.

I'm going to try a home boiled diet of fish and rice to ease his stomach tonight but other then that I'm starting to worry. He's had some serious hot spots lately and today I noticed his gums are paler then usual. He's still drinking water but eating not so much.

Any suggestions on what it might be? I know if i go into the vets office with out an idea they're going to want to run tests for everything.

thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jun 3 9:40 pm

Food & Nutrition > I have been reduced to Science Diet >.
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Mon May 12, '14 8:59pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestion. I fed Fromm when Jake was an only puppy. I will look into it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hershey, May 14 1:06 am

Food & Nutrition > I have been reduced to Science Diet >.

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Mon May 12, '14 6:46pm PST 
Hello,

It has been some time since we were here. I'm very happy Dogster Is around for when i'm in times of peril * a tad dramatic*.

Jake and Caroline are doing well except for the odd fact that they refuse to eat any food but Ideal Balance. I went through every version of blue buffalo, Merrick, Wellness and Natural Balance and finally at wits end I let the lady who pushes science diet/ Ideal balance talk me into trying their food. I mean I got the largest bag for $35 but the whole way home and as my dogs eat this stuff. I just keep thinking to myself "WHY?"

Currently Sweet Caroline is eating the Mature Ideal Balance food, which looking at the ingredients I might as well just spoon feed her grass.

Jake is currently on the Ideal Balance Slim *something or another* it's for fat dogs since Jake has a bit of a weight issue.

I'm really at a loss for what to do since I don't really like to feed dog food period but now that they only want to eat this Science Diet food i'm a little silenced

Are there any other comparable foods that I haven't tried yet? i was hoping since I got them to eat this i could just slowly change them over to a different food. Or should I just wait it out and feed the science diet a while longer?

Any advice would be appreciated smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 14 1:06 am

Dog Health > Dog Seat Belts

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:15pm PST 
I use a Kurgo dog harness for jake and a Go-For seat restraint. I know for a fact it works. When i slid on black ice last year and slammed into a pole jake and I were fine. Had he not been restrained he probably would have flew into the window or something. he was scared but still in his restraint unable to run when i got out of the car to call my mom for help.

I've also been reared and forced to do quick stops with my dogs in the car. Without any type of restraint Jake typically will fly into the dash or something. So i use his kurgo harness and some form of quick restraint like the go fur or a car stratint to keep him in his seat.

Honestly though if the crash is bad enough even a seatbelt won't save you. It can actually kill you causing lung collapses and broken ribs.

But if you're worrying soley about keeping your dog in its seat or in a confinded space any car harness will work with a strap that connects to the seatbelt.

For caroline i just use some chain that's work grade holds over 1000lbs with a huge work grade hook on it. I pull the chain through her walking harness back restraint loop and it works just as good.

i use the harnesses mainly to keep my dogs in teh car and in a known location in the event of an accident. The worst thing i worry about is having to open the door and my dog runs out of hte car in fear and gets hit or runs off hurt.

+ in my state and city dogs are required to be retrained or you get a ticket.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 9 8:08 pm

Dog Health > 4th fight with Giardia

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:05pm PST 
OMG. I'm so sorry. i've been away so long and come back to see Ark is gone. I read though all 4 pages of this and i don't feel you are whiny at all. You are doing and did the best you could. Ark thanks you for that. It's hard to suddenly lose a friend. And it hurts and it sucks. It will be better with time.

When it comes to pressing issues espeically with paretns its not easy. My parents almost killed my cat that way. "Oh he's fine..." "He'll go to the bathroom tomorrow." And when i finally mustered up the courage to put my cat in the car and drive to the vet myself pre license only to be told he was dying. I was heart broken. Luckly my vet knew me and knew my parents and is a decent man. He put my cat through emergency surgery and he lived to see yet another day.

Jake, Caroline and I will always remember Ark. He seemed like a good dog and a good friend even if pleagued with health problems. We hope you are doing well. hugwisheshug

Fly free Ark Fly Free...little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 9 8:23 pm

Food & Nutrition > Rawhides, antlers, pizzle, nylabones - HELP!!
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:50pm PST 
When I got jake an antler it came off a deers head. It was much larger thena anything you can get in a store. I had it cut so the marrow was showing. Jake chewed it a few times and then nothing more. But then again he only chews when bored or its food >.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 6 10:23 am

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.