GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Deep breathing... Is this an advancing heart murmur?
Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Sun May 5, '13 1:07pm PST 
Hello all!

Sweetie has a low grade heart murmur a 1 out of 4. The last few days she's been breathing really really hard in her sleep. She was still her usual fun loving self. She'd get up for treats whatever, love to go on walks. All that fun stuff.

Today she's even breathing hard while she's awake and I'm not sure if it's do to her heart murmur or something else.

Any thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 7 3:14 am

Dog Health > Dog growling and turning head to nip when picked up
Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 9:45pm PST 
Jake does that if he's got too excited and swallow what I assume is spit. He's hacking probably to clear his airwaves.

If you don't want to be picked up you should just leave him on the floor. Not all dogs are cool with that. Maybe you could get a dog carrier or something if you want to carry him around with you. It sounds to me like you startled him and then he "chocked on spit" and had to clear his airwaves.

Hope the little guy is okay.

Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , May 4 11:52 pm

Dog Health > Senior Pug and Dental Work

Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 10:24am PST 
cheer Yeah i'm happy Capone came through his teeth cleaning 100% okay!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 10:24 am

Dog Health > Giardia and Panacur for Goats Assistance - A Question

Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 2:20pm PST 
I guess it is better safe then sorry espeically with Caroline's advanced age. So I made an appointment with my vet. If she says its Giardia i'm going to just treat it on my own with the medicine i bought. If it's not or for some reason Fenbendazole isn't an option for her we'll go from there.

I would actually prefer she tell me it's not giardia cuz if it is i'm going to have to deep clean my entire house and patio again. Though i was preparing to do it anyway. we'll see.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 5 2:20 pm

Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 1:06pm PST 
Hi Toto,

I"m 98% sure it's giardia since the last time i thought this same exact stuff was just fat left over from chicken skins on jake. I came home to my dog sitting in bloody stools and a postive test for giaridia. It is the typical mucous runny poop you get with mucus and foul odor.

Jake gets giardia about once every 2 months from the dog park.So i'm used to seeing him drop poop that looks just lik this then paying and benig told 'Oh it's Giardia again'. It won't surprise me if i got home today and found him passing mucousy stools dispite the fact neither of their raw really has fat in it. I mean yeah they got beef feet (1 a piece not a bunch of them jake got 1 piece and she got one piece beef feet don't make very good food since it's all tendon and bone they had their regular dinner then a beef piece each so i could study) the other day as a recreational chew but she can eat full on chicken fat raw and doesn't have poop like this. + there's the smell that you never quite forget that girardia produces out of a dog.

I don't need to waste $75 on a fecal test when i'm about 98% sure that's what this is. And if it's not then she's do for a deworming anyway and Panacur is a dewormer for dogs anyhow. So i don't realyl loose much. Since I could have bought it as Safe-Guard and dewormed her with that too but again it's every expensive. Since she needs a 4g + a 1g packet so that's 2 boxes for her and 1 for jake. Too expensive.

It's not 5 doses for Panacur. You dose the granduals for dogs for 3 days and the liquid would be the same for 3 days. She would need 1cc per 5 lbs of weight. she weights 45lbs. So that's 8cc of panacur for goats a day for 3 days. Jake at 35lbs needs 7ccs a day. so together for 3 days they will consume together 45ml of a 125ml bottle. Which is 2 of 5 total dosages i can give per tha tbottle. Where if you buy the granuels yo only get 1 dosage a piece. That's what i meant by 5 servings or doses. This isn't that far off from what she'd get if she was getting the granulars since she'd get 5g of Panacur C at a 22.2% concentration a day for three days. Instead i'm giving 8ml of 10% concentration.

As for why not the other stuff? beause my vet always perscribes Pancur for jake. Well they went to sell me the expensive perscription pharmacy name : Fenbendazole . But why am i going to pay again 45-50 for both dogs when i can get a bottle that will last me a few infections of this stuff for $25?

Besides I asked my friend who was a vet and he said it was fine to do this. I was just curious if anyone else says this can be done. Or does it. On a few other forums i post on people do this using the Panacur for HOrses too. Where you give 1g per 5lbs of body weight or something like that. But i didn't ask about that one since the one for goats was the best deal for me and i don't have any horses.

hope that clarifies some of the things i said in my first post and answers your questions.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 5 2:20 pm

Dog Health > Senior Pug and Dental Work
Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 11:46am PST 
Caroline had a similar issue in her back teeth. You could hardly see them at all under all the nasty. Not that i wanted to hang around long enough to really look for what little white was in there. Her breath could knock you back.

Like scooter said he should undergo a full physical/blood work up before they even consider putting him under. If your vet is used to working on pugs or senior dogs you should be okay. Caroline's vet had done dental on dogs with more severe heart murmurs then Caroline and were around her age.

Do address all your concerns with your vet. And think of how happy he'll be if he's able to chew on his bones again.

I"ve recently discovered Caroline is a power chewer. She can destroy racks of ribs and beef feet in the time it takes jake to work his way through two ribs. Something I would have never guessed when i first got her and beasue of the pain she was in she would hardly eat at all.

Scooter does make a good point. he's only going to get older and the risks get higher and higher the older he gets. If your vet thinks it's medically required I'd say you should do it. But in the end it's up to you.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Apr 16 10:24 am

Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 9:39am PST 
Hello!

So it seems the dog park has gotten me yet again! Sweetie has come down with Giardia. Jake usually gets it every few months. So i decided to save soem cash and bought the liquid dewormer you need Panacur but I bought it for Goasts since it has the best price 125ml for S25 for at least 5 seperate treatments so that's about 2 treatments a dog give or take. Compared to Pancur C for dogs that would have been almost 45 dollars for one go around.

Does anyone else do this? I looked around and asked some vet friends who do livestock and they told me to give

1cc per 5lbs of dog.

Does this sound about right to anyone else? or does everyone else use Panacur C when their dog gets Giardia?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 5 2:20 pm

Senior Dogs > This Portland woman wants to put her old dog down herself. Please advise.

Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 10:27pm PST 
The only advise i can give is this person needs to have a vet come to the home. I don't think you're allowed to euthanize an animal yourself. But i could be wrong about that. The only way I know of putting dogs down at home usually involves a rather torn up dog and a barrel of a gun. And that was an extreme case of being in the backwoods with an uncle of mine who's dog was pretty torn up.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Sep 9 6:56 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Introducing Sweet Caroline

Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 10:56pm PST 
Mika & Kai- Thanks for welcoming us.

Moose- Yes. I love bassets. I had looked for one prior to getting Jake but something about the beagle breed called. But now i have both.

Bella- BOL i'd have a whole pack if my city allowed it. Though I think a harrier will be my next hound of choice. Then maybe a hunting buddy. Maybe.

** OH and an update- Sweet Caroline is apparnetly closer to 10 years old. Not 7.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 19 2:03 am

Dog Health > Human Rabies Vaccine
Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 12:20pm PST 
Ah I get what you're saying.

It's possible. Since I know Petsmart Doggy Day camp in my area just backed off forcing Bordella vaccinations every 3 months. They said most vets said they only needed the vaccine 1 a year which is what most vets would say. So they changed there policy to 1 time a year. Saves me the stress of having to schedule him and now Caroline every 3 months.

I've seen they offer 2 year rabies vaccines but if you're saying you're still covered after so many years maybe we can have them ease up by making some waves.

That's a great idea Toto!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 13 5:16 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.