Postings by Molly

GO!

Behavior & Training > Poor behavior when company is over

Molly

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 10:52am PST 
We used to use the time out method (we don't crate her) but would use a baby gate to block her in another room where she would calm down. As for if she got away with it as a puppy, not really. Besides the time outs, we would always make her get off the couch when she would bite or try and lick people's faces and tell her to 'get a toy" which should would and then bite the toy instead.

But as she got older, she got worse instead of better and none of our old methods seem to work. If we try time out, she barks non stop (no matter how long we wait) and if we put her in a time out in a closed door room she cries and barks and slams into the door (and I feel like it is cruel to leave her there, I'm afraid she'll hurt herself!).

I think you're right about it being over excitement, the reason I thought some of it might be anxiety is that she will start barking at the slightest noise but only when people are over...if the phone rings, the heat clicks on or a loud car drives by she loses but only when we have people (other than myself or my husband) in the house.

Will try the other methods you mentioned. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Molly, Mar 8 10:52 am

Behavior & Training > Poor behavior when company is over
Molly

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 12:44pm PST 
it is not completely new. When she was a puppy she was always super excited for visitors and jumped on their laps and licked or tried chewing on their hands but would calm down after 20 minutes or so. As she has gotten older, the behavior has intensified and does not stop no matter how long they are there. The barking is what is brand new. She rarely barked when she was a puppy in general, now when visitors come over, it is non-stop.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Molly, Mar 8 10:52 am

West Highland Terrier > Crying with a bone

Molly

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 10:38am PST 
my westie, now 2, has always done this. It really did seem like she was upset that she could not find a place to hide it. Sometimes she would leave it under a couch cushion or literally put it underneath my shirt, but immediately come back to it and start all over again.

We really have no idea why she does it, but if she doesn't stop after about 10 minutes we typically just take the bone away from her and give it back later in the day.

I had a westie growing up as a child and she did NOT do this.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Molly, Mar 5 10:38 am

Small Dogs > Keep this Harness on all Day?

Molly

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 10:17am PST 
we used to keep our Westie harnessed all day but recently (after getting a new harness) we took it off for a bath and saw that there was a a spot where the harness must have been rubbing so much that she was bleeding! Now we keep her "naked" most of the time. If you plan to keep the harness on, just double check every few days to make sure it is fitting properly and not rubbing the skin too much.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Molly, Mar 5 10:17 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.