GO!

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Questions about cheap home-cooked meals, please

Georgia

Destroyer of- Stuffed Animals

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 12:54pm PST 
Thanks everyone for the addition information. I've been talking it over with my mom, who is kind of warming up to the idea. She's on board for at least introducing a little more cooked food to Georgia's diet, just to see how it goes. I still don't think she's really into a raw diet though. Anything to get Georgia off all this kibble is good for me as this point though, whether raw or cooked.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bullie, Mar 4 2:32 pm

Georgia

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 9:26am PST 
Thanks very much for your help. I browsed around this section beforehand and bookmarked some similar posts about cooked food. It was mostly that I just didn't understand how much she should be getting.

I've thought a lot about a raw diet as well, because I've heard so many good things. Unfortunately, my mom isn't on board at all. Maybe she'd reconsider if she knew that it would cost as much as the dry food we give our dog every month. $20-30 is really inexpensive!

As of right now, more so because she's overweight, we've been cutting back on her dry food a little by replacing some of it with steamed broccoli. We don't give her too much, because she's got problems with sodium, but she seems to really enjoy a wide variety of healthy foods. I'm sure she'd do very well on a cooked or raw diet.

Again, thanks so much for the information. It can be a little intimidating, but you've given me a lot of good information.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Bullie, Mar 4 2:32 pm

Georgia

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:21pm PST 
I'm tired of feeding my dog low quality dog foods, but I'm unable to afford higher quality, so I'm very interested in trying home-cooked meals for her. I'm really lost though. I have no idea where to begin.

My questions are:
1.) How do I figure out how much to feed her? She's about 80 lb. but she's overweight and on a diet. She's supposed to weigh about 60 lb.
2.) Is this type of feeding (vs. dry food) really cheaper? I live with my mom, who pays all the bills, and she's not entirely convinced that we can afford to feed her this way. If we can afford to spend $500 on food for ourselves, I think we can afford to feed our dog good quality foods, too.

Any tips, reputable websites/books, or recipes would be really appreciated. Thank you
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Bullie, Mar 4 2:32 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.