GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Raw Food Diet > Chicken question....
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 3:01pm PST 
Thanks Onyx, yeah I realised what I had wrote sounded a bit silly...

One of the 'raw chat' groups on Facebook just knocked my confidence... I thought holding a chicken neck and wing as he chewed and learned to chew properly, was a good idea but they shot me down in flames about feeding such things and especially holding it... They seem to think a dog being aggressive around food is okay and you should leave them to eat in peace. I don't hassle my dogs when they're eating but I like to think, for safety reasons, I can pick their food up without being attacked!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 16 7:46 pm

Raw Food Diet > Chicken question....
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 2:17pm PST 
Hi guys,

So I started feeding raw a couple of days ago and my supplier suggested chicken necks and wings to get Skip used to chewing bone, he also said to hold the bone so he didn't swallow it whole...

Skip, at the minute, weighs 6.3kgs and is nearly six months old...

However, I've just been told that he shouldn't be getting wings or necks as they're too small cry

Is it possible to cut the necks in to smaller pieces so he can chew them without the worry of him swallowing them whole?

Being a raw newbie, I do tend to panic and would really appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks x
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 16 7:46 pm

Puppy Place > New Puppy Blues

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 2:32am PST 
You were a lot like I was a couple of months ago...

My older dog, Rocky was put to sleep at the end if October last year, leaving me with a huge hole in my heart and my other dog, Dexter, very lonely...

I brought Skip home at the beginning of March and he was a handful! I got Ricky when he was 1/2 years old (the rescue was rather vague) and he was 11 when I rescued Dexter... Dexter was one years old when I brought him home. So having a puppy in the house was tough! Like you, I kept thinking to myself, 'Rocky didn't do that', 'Rocky was never like that'... And feeling very down about it.

After a while though, I realised it wasn't fair on Skip to keep comparing them both. They were two different dogs. Not to mention, completely different breeds!

I started to focus on what Skip was good at. What he did that made me laugh and focused my energy on teaching him to become as well mannered as Rocky and Dexter (still a work in progress)...

Good luck, keep your chin up and know that you are definitely not alone hug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 6 3:46 am

Behavior & Training > doggie play

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 2:25am PST 
Skip is the exact same way with Dexter... For most of the time, Dexter will humour him and play along buy sometimes Dexter just wants to lie down and not be bombarded by a puppy.
In these instances, I tell Skip to 'leave' Dexter. If he doesn't, he gets removed from the room.
It took a while but when Skip hears me say 'leave him', he settles down. Either by laying beside Dexter and staring at him, tail wagging or going and doing something else.
Skip is a rough-houser... He grabs Dexter's tail, the fur on his cheeks and his ears but Dexter, most of the time, knocks him to the ground... This is all one big game to Skip lol... He loves to be tossed around.

Slowly but surely, he seems to be learning though...

My main issue is stopping him from jumping all over other dogs, both big and small, familiar or strangers confused
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 17 4:22 pm

Food & Nutrition > Orijen vs Fish4Dogs

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 10:08am PST 
Hi Bullie,

I've ordered Fish4Dogs salmon mousse as a topper... I think Skip would love it because apparently, it stinks puppy

I've also ordered a small bag of Fish4Dogs puppy superior that I can mix with his Orijen to keep his food interesting... I'd quite like to start rotating his diet so that he doesn't lose interest. He's very fussy with kibble so I think rotating between Orijen and Fish4Dogs will do him the world of good... Fish4Dogs isn't as high in protein as Orijen, so I like the idea of a couple of days high protein and a couple of days lower protein with salmon oil and mousse mixed in for super smelly taste puppy

Thanks for all your help
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 16 10:08 am

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 12:10am PST 
Thanks guys,

Maxwell, his food is kept in an air-tight container but web you suggested it could be off, I looked in to it a bit more. When I first bought it, there was only a 14kg bag available (that was two months ago) and I've read that even in air-tight containers, because there is no added preservatives, it can still go stale :o(

I think that could be adding to it...

In hindsight, I shouldn't have bought such a big bag because Skip only gets 120g a day, but due to a fire in the Orijen kitchen, that's all I could get... I'm going to go buy him some other fresh food today until I can get some more Orijen and see if that helps, or I might just order Fish4Dogs (a smaller bag) and keep it even more air-tight puppy

Thanks for bringing that to my attention... Lesson learned puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 16 10:08 am

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 1:44pm PST 
That's what I thought Trixie puppy

But I would really prefer Skip to eat kibble until he is fully grown... No reason in particular for that, I guess I just worry about him eating raw when he's so young shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 16 10:08 am

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 12:46pm PST 
Hi guys puppy

I'm in a bit of a pickle thinking

A couple of months ago, I changed Dexter's diet to raw and changed Skip from Royal Canin (his breeder's choice) to Orijen... At first everything was fine but recently, Skip has decided that he can't stand Orijen. I love feeding him Orijen and am gutted that he has recently decided he doesn't like it frown

He's not a fussy eater. He gets NO human food whatsoever and if he doesn't eat his food within 15 minutes, it's taken away and he has to wait until his next mealtime to eat... This has always worked well and he eats his food as soon as it is put down to him... However, the last week or so, he has decided that he doesn't want Orijen, at all... As I write this, he has had no food since yesterday morning! He's a puppy and him not eating, worries me. He was at the vets today and is his usual bouncy self and is drinking water regularly. He has no health issues and goes mad trying to get to Dexter's food bowl... He's undoubtably starving but when I put his food down to him, he sniffs it and walks away...

So, I've been looking at changing his food and was contemplating Fish4Dogs... I love their range, their treats, salmon mousse and salmon oil... Skipper loves fish and I've read that Fish4Dogs is really stinky... I really think Skip would love it. It's also supposed to work wonders for their coat and being rough-coated, it's hard to get Skip looking nice and shiny...

I was curious as to what you guys think?

This is the first place I come to when I have dilemmas or concerns puppy

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , May 16 10:08 am

Behavior & Training > How do pet owners who work full-time manage a new puppy?

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 10:46am PST 
I brought Skip home when he was eight weeks old and took nearly three weeks off to get him settles and start housetraining... I started by leaving him alone in the house (in a pen) for 30 mins, then built it up to an hour and by the time I had to go back to work, he was gettin there... I chose doggy daycare a couple of days a week and left him all day for the remaining days...

It's a bit harder but it's definitely possible... Having another dog in the house really helped Skip and before long, he didn't care that I was leaving him... He was perfectly content on his own.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 15 5:31 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Ever "misjudged" a breed?
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 5:41am PST 
Lol, Gunner... When Rocky died I was still determined that my next pup would be a GSD or Rottie. Not even two months after he passed, Dexter and I welcomed Skipper in to the house.

It just goes to show, I always said I would never have a terrier... Never say never puppy

I will say though, that my friend has a black American Labrador (being in the UK, English labs are common. You hardly ever see the leggier, American types), called Miller and he is a dream! So calm in the house, so well trained and just the most beautifully mellow boy ever puppy And he is a working gun dog and active in Flyball.
I always assumed the yellow Labs were more likely to be crazy shrug Don't know why... I've never even owned a Lab laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by , May 23 10:58 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.