GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Behavior & Training > Would Dog Playmate Stop Cat Chasing?
Josie

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 11:10pm PST 
I posted on Craigslist to find a playmate for Josie and had a few responses. You could also ask around at doggie daycare or the dog park.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 25 9:11 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Question for those who foster - bringing them home
Josie

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:45pm PST 
But again, how do you "acclimate" them to a crate if you have to go to work in a couple days? Isn't that sometimes going too fast or are they already used to a kennel from the shelter?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 24 9:31 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Question for those who foster - bringing them home

Josie

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:01pm PST 
I am going through a heartbreak of a trial adoption not working out due to separation (isolation) anxiety. It's just one of those things that is beyond my personal limits to handle. I've had many dogs in my life and have never dealt with this issue before, so I wasn't worried about it. Until now!!!

I will want to adopt again one day, so I'm wondering if I could get advice from those who foster on bringing a new dog into your house. What do you to to observe the dog at first and get him comfortable?

Common sense tells me to put the cats in a room, let the dog sniff around the area he'll be confined to, then after a while hold onto leash and let the cats out and go from there. Or do you bring them home and let them settle in a crate for a while? Or do you just let them loose in the home right away and see what happens?

Do you ever have to crate train and how do you handle that if you have to go to work in a day or two? How do you determine if the dog has SA if they are crated? (Peeing in the crate and pent up energy were my signs, so I set up a live stream camera.)
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 24 9:31 am

Behavior & Training > SA question

Josie

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 11:39am PST 
Having cats around does not help Josie's anxiety of being alone at all.

Also there is SA and there is IA, isolation anxiety. That's what Josie has because she is not bonded to any one person and is fine if dropped off at doggie daycare.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 23 5:59 pm

Behavior & Training > Now she is sleeping under the bed?

Josie

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 2:38pm PST 
Thanks Tiller.

It's true her SA is mild for now but there is no way for me to know if it's going to get worse and it's giving me anxiety. I can't live my life. I've lost weight. I can't concentrate on work. I can't go celebrate my boyfriend's sister's birthday. My boyfriend and I are constantly trying to line up our schedules around her and we never laugh anymore. I can't handle this.

Yesterday I went to put on my coat and shoes and she started pacing and whining. She's never done that before. I work on departure queues when I can but I just can't do this all day every day. This stupid issue is too much for me. I envy those that have overcome it. I can't. And that really hurts for me to say because I'm the person that everyone goes to for pet advice. But I have my limits emotionally and monetarily.

I figured the under-the-bed issue was another negative development tied to SA but maybe I'm wrong. If she didn't have SA and decided to sleep under the bed, I'd be bummed, but I would still love her and keep her.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 2:38 pm

Josie

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 12:27pm PST 
#1 on my list of reasons to get a dog is CUDDLE. I put on one of my applications that I didn't want an independent dog that would sit across the room looking at me; I have cats for that.

I'm looking for signs as to what to do. She is spending more and more time under the bed. It's bedtime; for weeks she would jump up in bed with me. Now she goes under the bed. I'm going to work. For weeks she would jump up in bed with my man. Now she goes under the bed. There were nights before I got a dog that I would lie in bed crying because neither of my cats wanted to cuddle. I can't have two cats AND a dog, none of whom want to cuddle! I might as well save the money and live alone. (Aside: All my current pets, Josie included, do cuddle with me when they want to. I'm just making a point here because I've had tons of dogs and ALL of them would rather sleep in bed with me given the chance to. The thought of owning a dog that sleeps on the floor is foreign to me.)

I'm not saying this would be a reason to return her. I'm saying it might make it easier to. I love her, but if I can't help her separation anxiety on my own, without a behaviori$t, then I'm not her ideal home. I worry that this spending more time under the bed means her anxiety is getting worse.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 2:38 pm

Josie

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 1:47pm PST 
Sorry I'm taking it personally, guys. I'm just on edge trying to decide about her as our trial is coming to an end and I just want her to be happy. If living with another dog would ease her anxiety that is what I want for her.

The other day I brought a dog over to play with her. She isn't a dog that looks into your eyes a lot like some dogs do, but that day she looked me in the eyes and kissed me and it just seemed like she was saying thank you and that she was so happy to be around a dog in a home. This is so hard for me cry
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 2:38 pm

Josie

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 11:15am PST 
You might be right because he does that on the couch too. Cuddles on couch, gets down on the floor for a while, back on the couch later. But going under the bed makes me think it has something to do with the crate training.

Last night she got under the bed but kept moving around and whining. So my man invited her up on the bed, and she came up and slept through the night up there. (I didn't have a chance to tell him not to reward her whining.)
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Feb 22 2:38 pm

Behavior & Training > At a Loss of What to do

Josie

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 11:00am PST 
Regarding the food, if he wants your company to eat then give him that now then slowly wean off that later.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 21 1:11 pm

Behavior & Training > At a Loss of What to do
Josie

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:59am PST 
Lots of patience and time are needed. You're lucky he isn't doing anything bad. Perhaps he would like a crate, do you have one? He sounds frozen in fear and maybe needs a smaller space to relax in. He will come out of his shell but it will take weeks or months.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 21 1:11 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.