Postings by Oliver

GO!

Raw Food Diet > Poop Question (warning: long post)

Oliver

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 1:04pm PST 
If I do try weaning out chicken to test for allergy what type of bones should I be giving him that are safe for chewing/consumption? I'm going to try skinning the chicken before feeding it this week and see if that makes any difference, then move on to testing if its the meat! Thanks everyone!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Duke, Feb 10 3:34 pm

Oliver

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 7:53am PST 
I definitely will try the probiotic, thanks! There poops are like this everyday whether or not they've had organ meat (they were like this for the 3 or so weeks before I had even introduced organ meat) so I'm not sure if that's it. They get a little under a pound of organ meat a week split 50/50 between liver and other organs. There's not blood in the poop, just blackish and smelly. Thanks for the replies!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Duke, Feb 10 3:34 pm

Oliver

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 9:30pm PST 
I apologize in advance for the gross detail.

I know there have been posts about poop and raw diet before, but I didn't really get the answer I was looking for. I was told that usually a side effect of a raw diet is less stool, that is brown in color and crumbles/decomposes quickly (oh and less smelly). I know this depends on the meat-bone ratio, but my dog's poops after having been on raw for a little over a month are nothing like what I've read about. They're really dark, usually mucousy or hard (but not crumbly), and extremely smelly. I noticed it even more now that it snowed because it seems like the poop is somewhat liquidy along with the solid parts. I'm nervous that the poops are coming across this way because I'm not feeding a well-balanced raw diet.

Here is the boys' typical diet
AM - chicken leg quarter or chicken thigh
liver/kidney/(chicken organs from whole chicken) 3-4 times a week
1/2 1000mg ester c pill

PM - Pork, Beef, Venison, Chicken MM.
2 pumps Gizzly Salmon Oil
1 Total Flex joint supplement
1/2 1000mg ester c pill

I feed roughly 1.5 lbs a day for each of them. They're male GRs 5 and 7 months 40 and 60 lbs.

I'm wondering if maybe I need to add some sort of probiotic to aid in digestion? I can't imagine they're not getting enough bone because the leg quarters are roughly 30% bone and then their second meal is MM so that's like 15% bone. The pups tend to have bad gas and burps too. My 5 month old also has pretty bad eye discharge (not infection - vet checked it out). I thought when I switched to a raw diet that that'd clear up, but it hasn't..another reason why I think there's some sort of imbalance because I've read that this is a symptom usually related to diet. They do get treats that aren't Prey Model fit with carbs/veges/etc. I didn't think treats would have that large of an impact, but maybe I should start making my own treats?

Sorry for the novel!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Duke, Feb 10 3:34 pm

Raw Food Diet > Large Breed Puppy's Raw Diet

Oliver

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 3:21pm PST 
Thank you both for your responses! Definitely easing my fears about messing up nutrition. I just noticed on my pup that his lower right canine is cracked down the middle and red where the crack is. Is it still safe to feed him raw (bones and all) until I can get him to the vet? Have you experienced cracked teeth before? I think it may have happened while chewing on a marrow bone cry my poor boy, i feel like such a bad mom!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crash Dynamite, Jan 21 3:59 pm

Raw Food Diet > Large Breed Puppy's Raw Diet

Oliver

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 2:51pm PST 
Hi all, just joined Dogsterwave. I just started my 4 month old GR on a raw diet last Saturday. I started with bone-in chicken and once he adjusted to that I started adding in pork liver (started this weekend). So far so good with the consistency of poos. My biggest concern is because he's a large breed puppy I want to make sure I get his nutrition right so it doesn't affect his growth. I have read that feeding too much bone can cause skeletal issues and feeding a raw diet lacking in certain vitamins and minerals can cause problems. I know right now he's not going to be able to get the assortment he needs because I slowly have to transition him to new meats, but as I get closer I'm nervous I'm going to mess it up. I was looking into supplements and read some scary information about excess vitamins and minerals causing problems. I know I want to add a salmon fish oil pill because he won't be eating much fish and most of the beef will probably end up being grain-fed so those cuts will be missing some essential fats. What other supplements to you recommend? Also, if I do feed fish is it okay to feed it whole - bone and all? Right now I'm feeding a whole chicken cut into 1 lb pieces (fed twice a day) Is this too much bone for him? I'm going down to 1.5 lbs a day because he's gaining a little more weight than I'd like - rather have him leaner so its easier on those growing joints! Also I've been feeding him twice a day, but have read I shouldn't do that until he's 6 months. Should I bump it back up to three feedings? Thank you all and I look forward to your responses! I feel like no matter how much research I do I still need to hear more from individual's experienced in this area!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Crash Dynamite, Jan 21 3:59 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.