Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 3:42pm PST 
Thank you Iris and Wizzard
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 9:10 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Washout :( - Turning my SDiT into an ESA
Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 9:57am PST 
I washed out my guy today. I don't regret the decision one bit but I'm sad that it happened. High levels of stranger-danger are common in the breed and I socialized the ever loving out of Cru because of it

Things were going great but problems arise always when you think they won't and today while at the park (off duty not wearing a vest) and kid ran up behind us and hugged him from behind without either of us noticing the kid until it happened (we were sitting on a bench taking a break as we'd just run 3 miles). He growled and bared his teeth. I don't blame him if I were dog I would have done the same thing.

The parents of the kid nowhere in sight. Could have been older than 6. Told the thing to scram and it cried but I didn't care because I was so freaked out about what had just happened. He's never done something like that before, the kid startled us. I highly doubt he'd ever bite anyone or growl or bare his teeth unprovoked but I can't let it go and I can't bring myself to trust him with the general public anymore.

Kids happen. Stupid adults happen. People pet, hug, kick, yell at your SD without you noticing right away far too often. Heaven forbid he ever bites someone that scared him when they went to hug him from behind. It's just not worth the risk.

So no more PA work for CruCru. I rent the home I'm in at the moment and the landlord was fine with me having Cru there as he was an SDiT at the time. Now if I use him as an ESA (it will take at least two years to find a dog and get it to the point that Cru was training-wise) do I have to talk to my doctor about it to get a note? I'm unsure if my landlord will just accept the situation and he'll probably be wanting a note. Dog limit on the house was 2 and I have 2 + Cru. I don't think it will be an issue until I add another SDiT into the mix (not for a while) but I want to be prepared and let him know what's going on.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 9:10 am

Behavior & Training > Would your dog Pass the Canine good Citizen test?

Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 8:23am PST 
We passed the CGC when my (now not so little) guy was only 13 weeks. We rocked it. Puberty hit and now we wouldn't be able to pass the stranger handling part if our lives depended on it.

Common for the breed. Socialized the crud out of him as a dog. Funny how things like that go.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 17 11:15 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Any Handlers in Maine?

Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 10:11pm PST 
Somewhere in between my fiance leaving me and the horrible experiences I had a dog training school a few months back I must have lost my mind because I'm currently in the process of buying a dog boarding facility in Maine.

In the middle of nowhere.

Where the nearest town has one road and no stoplights.

What in the world was I thinking?! thinking

At any rate I'm used to having quite a few other handlers in the vicinity of where I lived and we used to get together once a month or so to eat or something. I'm a little bummed that I'm loosing out on it so are there any handlers anyone knows of in Maine.

I'm moving to Sebec which is rather far inland. The nearest "big" town is called Bangor which is furthur towards the coast.

On a related note if anyone is indeed from Maine I'm having a bit of trouble understanding some of the laws regarding licensing. Do the dogs like need to be licensed "in general" ie. all dog even pet dogs are licensed or is it different?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 7 7:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > I made a dogster account yayyyy

Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 10:05pm PST 
Welcome to the forum!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jun 18 7:09 am

Choosing the Right Dog > You shouldn't get a _____ if ______.
Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 10:18pm PST 
You shouldn't get a Malinois if ...

- You enjoy sleeping.
- You ever plan on going to the bathroom alone again.
- You ever plan on doing anything alone again.
- You really enjoy having "downtime" after work.
- You don't want a dog sticking his dirty tennis ball in your face in the middle of the night.
- Your guest don't appreciate being stared at the way an ax murder would start at his next victim.
- You have any expensive antiques in the house that would break if hit with a happy tail.
- You are scared of a dog that will growl at you for sh*^&s and giggles.
- You don't enjoy being locked out of the house because your freaking dog knows how to latch the door.
- You enjoy being able to open the fridge without having to remove a lock and chain from it first.
- You don't enjoy buying a custom made crate that has the likeness to Alcatraz because you better believe getting out of all the other crates has been soooo much fun.
- You don't find it particularly funny to have to call the fire department to cut your dog out of his broken crate after he broke through the side and got his body stuck in the 3 inch wide whole the air flow grate left we he chewed it off.

& most especially you shouldn't get a Malinois if you don't understand that he WILL outsmart you.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 9:29 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Telling stores/restaraunts you're bringing your SDiT in advance

Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 10:50am PST 
As Felon stated. The only time I've warned a resturant in advance about bringing in my SD was if we were making reservations for an evening meal. My then fiancee had a SD as did I. When calling in our restervations we always asked to be seated against a wall. With my 80 lb pointer and his 100lb+ Akita sitting in the middle of the dining room meant us having to constantly ensure that nobody was bothering the dogs and than their tails didn't wander too far from their bodies because people would step on them :/

When calling in reservations for two they always assumed "romantic evening" and gave us the tiniest table on earth so there would be no way of fitting out two big fur piles under the table xD
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 24 3:58 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Do you tell people your SD's name?

Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 10:44am PST 
Felix / Down is a trick I started originally with my Pitbull mix. He has a very low bite threshold with people and people are constantly saying "come here puppy. Hi puppy." So if he here's the words "come" or "hi" he hits the floor. xD

Such a handy trick

C2's full name is his "come" command and it's pronounced Kromm-Kuh-Roo-Ick. If I just need him to look at me it's just Kuh-Roo-Ick. 99% of the people we say his name "Cru-ick" or they say Keurig. xD
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 24 4:01 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Having a SD and an ESA?

Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 8:44am PST 
When I was studying at Purdue I was allowed to have both my ESA and my then SDiT with me. I had the ESA when I first started school and the SDiT came a few months back. I was living on campus (in a single room) and the school was most welcoming about the whole situation.

As far as I know if you have a doctors note they can't tell you no. Then again I'm not a lawyer or anything so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 24 3:46 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Do you tell people your SD's name?
Cromm Crúaich CD

The Magic- Malinois

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 8:39am PST 
Cruaich being the breed he is has a pretty high level of stranger wariness to begin with so if people know his name he won't respond to it anyways and they likely won't be able to say it correctly anyways xD

However the little Border Collie mix that I'm also training is cray-cray to the max. His "down" command is "Felix" which when people ask what his name is that's what I tell them.

Sneaky sneaky.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 24 4:01 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.