Postings by Haven, SDiT

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > What did your dog(s) have to eat today?
Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Sun Aug 31, '14 3:02pm PST 
Haven had boneless turkey and green tripe smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Sep 10 1:00 am

Food & Nutrition > Nestle Purina Buys Zuke's
Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Sat Jan 18, '14 1:58pm PST 
What a shame. They were our favourite brand of treats. I'm definitely not buying them again now.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jewel, PCD, Jan 20 10:05 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > If a SD was being used just for counterbalance, what % of the handler's weight must the SD be?

Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Thu Oct 10, '13 2:22am PST 
Hi everyone,

I have a PSDiT. I have at times some really bad issues with dizziness due to a medication side effect... a med that I unfortunately can't go off of. I only know a tiny bit about counterbalance, so I have a question about that, plus the question stated in the thread title. So, can counterbalance help prevent someone from falling?

Also, I've heard that counterbalance is easier on a dog's body than bracing. That being said, I am pretty significantly overweight and am not sure what percentage the SD would have to be of my weight in order to safely do counterbalance. Is it still the 50% like it is for bracing, or is it different if they're used for just counterbalance and never bracing?

My SDiT is not old enough to do any of this work anyway, I'm just thinking way ahead of things here. Please don't bash me and tell me she needs her hips checked to make sure they are sound and that her growth plates are closed, that she needs to be older, and that she would need to be approved by the vet to do any such work. Because I know all of that, and would never do anything that could harm my dog. I'm just one of those constant worriers and I like to plan everything super in advance, so I just want to know if this would be an option for us once she is old enough, checked by the vet, etc. Thanks in advance for any answers!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Happy, Oct 10 5:15 pm

Food & Nutrition > Food recommendations for large breed pup possibly allergic to chicken?

Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 4:30pm PST 
Hey all. I'm starting to wonder if my pup is allergic to chicken. I've had her on three different dog foods, all of which had chicken in them (and also were grain inclusive). Also, I don't feed her any people food, so that can't be the culprit. She scratches excessively and definitely doesn't have fleas because she's had K9 Advantage applied to her once monthly for a few months now. I asked the vet about her scratching a few months ago and said I was concerned about allergies, but the vet said it's probably not allergies. Vet also said her skin looked great and she didn't have fleas, and that puppies tend to have skin that is more prone to being itchy.

But she's 8.5 months now and I still haven't seen any improvement, so I'm wondering about allergies again. If she does have allergies, I would suspect it's either to chicken or to grains, because that's the only thing all of the foods she's been on have in common. She's currently on Acana Large Breed Puppy food and has been for 3 or 4 months. I thought I would try to find a food to feed her that doesn't contain chicken, and if there's no improvement after a while of that, try a food that's grain free. I'm disabled and on a very low fixed income so I would prefer to take her to the vet to be tested for allergies as a last resort if possible.

But the vet tech had told me that I really should be feeding her large breed puppy food because on just regular puppy food, sometimes large breed puppies grow too fast and this can cause problems. The thing is, I've yet to come across a high quality large breed puppy food that doesn't have chicken in it. Does anyone know of any? Sorry for the super long post, I just thought it was best to be very detailed so I wouldn't have to answer questions about if certain other things could be causing the itchyness, etc. Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 10:31 pm

Puppy Place > How long to play with high energy 8 m/o GSD x Lab daily?

Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 5:14pm PST 
This is a weird and seemingly dumb question, but I'm wondering what an appropriate amount of time to play with my dog is everyday. She's obviously high energy so I'm asking because if I don't limit play time to some extent, play time would be all day everyday! I'm just wondering how much is too much.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Benny, Jun 24 9:33 am

Food & Nutrition > (Gross question) Mushy stool no matter which foods I feed
Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 2:47pm PST 
Haven's Stools have pretty much always been mushy. When I first got her, I had her on Purina puppy chow for about 3 weeks, just because of worse than usual issues with money that month. I transitioned her off of that, and fed her Actr1um puppy food (sold at Walmart in Canada). It's a good quality food, no corn, etc. but not super high quality either (probably about 3.5 star rating food). I thought maybe it was the food causing it, and also wanted to switch her to large breed puppy food instead of regular puppy food. So a few weeks ago, I transitioned her to Acana's Large Breed Puppy food.

Even on the Acana, which I know is a very high quality food, her stools are still mushy. It's rarely actually diarrhea, but yeah, just mushy and gross. She isn't eating any other kind of food mixed in, nor do I feed her people food, so I've ruled that out as a cause. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do so her stools firm up? Maybe something I can add to her food... Or...? Well, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 9 3:04 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > At what age can a SD candidate become a service dog in training?

Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 9:14pm PST 
Yeah, I have started off with obedience. Currently working on sit, off, lay down, leave it, not walking out doors before me, walking nicely on a leash and also eliminating biting and training her to go outside. Also trying to get her more used to the sounds of cars, seeing people and dogs on walks, etc. She's very friendly, but gets SO excited! She's doing well with some of those things, so I'm working on those with her for a while until everything is pretty much perfected.

Next on my list after those is working on heel and maybe a few more complex things (wave, shake paw, etc.), as well as maybe teaching her some very basic things that could help me out (probably would start with teaching her to find my phone and keys for me). Sorry to hear that people pet your SD, I know it can be very frustrating, as my best friend has a guide dog. People pet the dog and distract her by talking to her all the time!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 5 12:04 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > At what age can a SD candidate become a service dog in training?

Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 5:53pm PST 
I'm not planning on my puppy being a SDiT anytime soon, as she's only three months. But could anyone tell me what the age range is for a dog to start training to be a service dog? Mine is definitely far too young, but I'd just like to know for sure for future reference what age is acceptable.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 5 12:04 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Can a SD in training only go into pet stores?

Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 2:26pm PST 
Hey all. I just got the puppy who is going to be trained to be a psych SD for me (I'm doing basic training, commands, etc. and maybe a few of the smaller task training things), and a friend who is very experienced in working with and training service dogs is going to REALLY train her starting in the summer.

I know she's too young right now (three months) so I'm not going to bring her in anywhere anytime soon, but my friend said that once she gets a bit older and is definitely housebroken (she has a good temperament, so no worries about barking, aggression etc. in public), I should get her a vest that says service dog in training and take her into stores with me. I do want to get her a vest soon, because probably within the next month or two, I want to start teaching how to walk without interacting with/being distracted by dogs and other people. I don't want to start that right away because I think she needs to learn how to interact with people and dogs so that when she's not working, she can kind of be a normal dog.

Wow, this post is turning out to be really long... but basically, I'm wondering if as a SD in training, if she's only allowed in pet stores or can go other places. Some people have told me that she can go in places with me provided she doesn't cause disturbances, etc. And others have told me she can only go in places if I have permission from the owner... other people have said she can only go into pet stores. I live in Ontario, Canada and I'm not sure if my location makes a difference in that or not...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Jan 18 10:04 pm

Puppy Place > 3 month old Lab Mix won't stop biting, no clue what else to try!
Haven, SDiT

Professional- Catcher

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 12:25pm PST 
I wasn't expecting her to stop biting in one day. That would be impossible. I was just looking for advice to get her to stop biting as soon as possible, since I have tons of bites all over my hands and arms, and she also keeps biting my elbows really hard, so I wanted to be able to teach her to not bite fast (within reason, obviously she's not going to learn in a few days).

I had already tried giving her a toy to chew on instead, which was only working maybe 5% o the time, but hadn't tried to tell her off first and then give her the toy... maybe that will make a difference. I also tried the yelping thing tons of times to no avail, she just keeps biting hard. I'll try the toy and off thing, and also ignoring her, hopefully that will help. Thanks for the advice! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Garnet, Jan 18 9:47 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.