GO!

Food & Nutrition > Natural supplements for the immune system...

Gypsy

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 7:20pm PST 
Gypsy turned 6 last month, she's quite healthy, and I really want to keep her that way. I'm terrified that she's going to get cancer. I don't know why, I just have this feeling that's it's going to happen. The only two dogs my family has ever lost have both died from cancer, so it sort of feels inevitable that Gypsy is going to get it. I'm thinking about looking into supplements for her immune system and would like to find out if there is a homeopathic supplement for immune health. Does anyone here know of/use anything like this? And do you think that 6 years old is too early to start supplements?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 18 9:13 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > six months since your passing
Gypsy

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:37am PST 
So sorry for your loss. I don't think the pain ever really fades or goes away, we just get stronger and are able to live with it. Tyson was lucky to have such a loving person who will always keep him in their heart and remember him. That's the way to keep him in your life.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 17 3:02 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Tima passed today

Gypsy

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:34am PST 
So sorry for your loss. There's nothing quite like that awful moment when you're told that there is really only one choice. I'm sure he would tell you that he's grateful for the wonderful life he had with you if he was able to. I really think that their spirit stays with us for a while after they're gone. They want to make sure we'll be ok before they leave us. I always say, if there is a heaven, and if anyone deserves to be there, it is surely our dogs. And if there are no dogs in heaven, then I don't want to go there, because it wouldn't be heaven to me without my beloved friends.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 17 2:58 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Don't know what to do...

Gypsy

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:28am PST 
You aren't being selfish at all. It is never fair when our friends get taken from us, and especially at such a young age. Even though he was so young, at least he got to have your love, for however brief a time, instead of dying alone and unloved wherever he was before you got to him. The pain of losing a beloved dog never goes away or fades, rather, you grow stronger and are able to live with and accept it. He will always leave a Jack shaped hole in your heart, but someday when you are ready, you will have space to add a doggie into a spot next to Jack's. I'm sure if he could, he would lick your face and tell you that you did a good job and he's glad you were a good friend to him when he needed it most.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 8:38 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > How do you know when it's ok to let yourself let go?

Gypsy

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 8:12am PST 
Last night my mom's dog Rocky had to be put to sleep. He stopped eating and was diagnosed with stomach cancer about 3 weeks ago. They prescribed appetite stimulants and calorie paste, which sort of worked for about a week, but then he stopped eating again and lost a ton of weight in such a short time. Yesterday morning when my mom went to give him his meds, he tried to bite her. He was in such rough shape that they made the decision to have a vet come to the house that night and end his pain. It was the first time I've had to see it happen, because our last dog (who we also lost to cancer) passed on her own while I wasn't home. In a way, I'm glad that it happened on our terms so to speak, because we were all able to be there and tell him goodbye and send him off on his journey knowing that he was loved and will always be remembered. He got to lay down in his favorite spot on the bed and be comfortable in his last moments with us. It was really hard because he was up and walking around when the vet got there, and I just kept looking at him thinking that those were his last minutes of life. It was horrible to think that we were about to take it away from him. The vet assured us that she agreed it was the right thing to do at that time, and she always tells people if she thinks it's too soon, so I know we did the right thing. But obviously that doesn't stop the grief from coming on at the thought of never seeing your pet again. I keep on seeing him as he was, after he fell asleep (she gave him a first injection that made him fall asleep so he wouldn't have to be held down for the final injection) and he just looked so comfortable and peaceful for the first time in a while. Anyways, whenever I'm able to stop thinking about it and carry on with my day, I think that I'm being selfish by not thinking about him. I feel like I shouldn't carry on with anything else because it isn't right to just move on from it. I know he is at peace and I'm relieved that he isn't suffering anymore, I just can't shake this feeling that I should constantly be thinking about him. Did anyone else ever have this feeling, and what did you do about it?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 17 3:10 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.