GO!

Labrador Retriever > Silver Lab with Mismarkings?

Ziva

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:42am PST 
It has been advertised as a variation of chocolate colour. But the gene responsable for silver coat is not a part of a lab's genetic makeup. If it were silvers would be appearing all over the world, not just in few American kennels. And they would have been present early on throught breed history as chocolate and yellow puppies were. Although they were recognised and accepted in labrador retriever standard much later on. At first only black dogs were registered.

But I agree with you, if you have a loving pet than it doesn't matter what breed it is, purebred or mutt. As long as you love him and he loves you. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 4:42 am

Ziva

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 2:21pm PST 
Oh, I've done my research on lab genetics of colours and I assure you that silver is not a rare lab colour as so often advertised. Fox red, and maybe champagne are just variations of yellow.

The fact that AKC registers silvers as chocolates is just a way for silver breeders to sell their dogs as purebreds. Go to any official AKC or FCI dog show and you'll see no silvers in the show ring. If such dog is entered in the show it's immediately disqualified because silver coat in a labrador retriever is a mismark by itself.
For further information read this link:

http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_detail_news.ph p?nid=3
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 4:42 am

Labrador Retriever > Industructable toys

Ziva

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:28am PST 
Kong and Rogz toys work for my dogs. Bruce's had his Rogs rubber bone for 5y now, and Ziva managed to destroy every single toy we got for her until we found Kong toys. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 10:28 am

Ziva

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 10:07am PST 
As labs don't cone in silver colour, your dog obviously isn't purebred so mismarkings are no surprise. Nevertheless I'm sure he's an excellent friend, and a great pet.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 4:42 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.