GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dogs & Travel > First pet-friendly vacation--Suggestions?
Buddy

Throw the ball,- already!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 5:58am PST 
I'll be driving--thanks for all the tips!!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by BoyGeorge, May 31 1:18 am

Buddy

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 11:15pm PST 
Thanks! I really like the look of Carmel. big grin

I didn't have anywhere in mind, I'm just looking to go somewhere. Anywhere that isn't my boring, prejudice little two mile town laugh out loud

Any suggestions/tips on packing and actually traveling with a dog?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by BoyGeorge, May 31 1:18 am

Food & Nutrition > Feeding Q's

Buddy

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 5:02am PST 
Thank you!!

Currently his activity level is pretty low, since I read somewhere that dogs shouldn't be excercised too much before two years old. So he just gets about an hour a day of excercise, with frequent 5ish minute walks to relieve himself.

Right now, he's just on some cheap food from the grocery store--my moms pick, not mine. That's why I'm wanting to switch him over to something better. I went on the ToTW website and found two stores near me that sell it smile

I do think he's eating his food too fast--It's usually gone just a sec after I put it down. I don't know how to make him slow down, though!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Conker, Apr 24 4:09 pm

Buddy

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:12pm PST 
1) My dog Buddy is now a year old. I've been feeding him three times a day, but now I want to cut out the lunch and just feed twice a day. Is that okay?

2)How much should I feed at each of the meals, if I only did two meals a day? He's probably around 30/40 pounds, though I don't currently know his exact weight.

3)After he eats, before he poops, he always looks kinda.. Bloated. His belly is sorta round. Is this normal? Would it stop if I switched him to a higher quality food?

4)I've been wanting to switch him to a higher quality food, anyways. I've seen a lot of people say Taste of the Wild is a good food. Does anyone know where I could get some, and whether it's grain free?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Conker, Apr 24 4:09 pm

Buddy

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 7:12pm PST 
1) My dog Buddy is now a year old. I've been feeding him three times a day, but now I want to cut out the lunch and just feed twice a day. Is that okay?

2)How much should I feed at each of the meals, if I only did two meals a day? He's probably around 30/40 pounds, though I don't currently know his exact weight.

3)After he eats, before he poops, he always looks kinda.. Bloated. His belly is sorta round. Is this normal? Would it stop if I switched him to a higher quality food?

4)I've been wanting to switch him to a higher quality food, anyways. I've seen a lot of people say Taste of the Wild is a good food. Does anyone know where I could get some, and whether it's grain free?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, May 7 6:16 am

Buddy

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 4:52pm PST 
I'm looking to go on vacation with my dog, Buddy. This would be the first time I tried planning a vacation that I could have my dog with me. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a vacation spot they've been to that was good for them and their pets? I was thinking somewhere where I could hike/swim with buddy, and maybe with a few restaurants that let dogs on the outside patios or something? I really don't care to do anything on the vacation that I can't take Buddy with me, so I'm looking for somewhere that's very pet friendly. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by BoyGeorge, May 31 1:18 am

Behavior & Training > My dog doesn't like me :(

Buddy

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:09am PST 
I'm 17 now, but I was 16 when I first got Buddy, as a puppy. I was in a similar situation as yours.

For awhile, he stayed inside. Then when he was big enough, my mom put her foot down, and he moved outside too a tiny little kennel.

For months, I tried to get her to let him come back in. I knew it wasn't fair for him to be out there alone. He had food, he had water, he was let out daily to run. It wasn't enough. My mom refused, insisting dogs were made to live outside.

It was then I began to look at rehoming him. Did I 'cry my eyes out', as you put it? Yes. Frequently. But I wanted what was best for him. So I began talking to a girl who said she wanted a sporty dog, as she was active. We arranged to meet. She didn't show. shrug If she had, I would have given him to her. Because I couldn't provide for him.

I went back to my mom. I tried reasoning. I tried begging. I tried screaming. Nothing seemed to be working. Back to trying to rehome.

This time I went through shelters, calling as many as I could find in the area, asking if they would take him in or at least let me know if someone came in wanting a lab mix. They agreed.

I was about to start screening people myself again, all the while working on getting my mom to let him come inside so I wouldn't have to lose him, all the while spending many a night crying myself to sleep over the thought of not having him anymore.

One day, she caved, because over all those months I didn't give up. Buddy was allowed inside.

Now I'm having to start over at the basics. Training him like a puppy, taking him out every two-four hours, puppy proofing the house because he never learned proper house etiquette out there in that cramped pen. I refer to him as my 'rescue'. Where is he now? Napping under my feet.

The reason I shared this with you is to tell you, I understand how hard it is to deal with a family who doesn't want your dog inside. I understand how heartbreaking it is to even *consider* giving them up. But you have to put the dog before yourself. Bring him inside, or rehome him.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Twister, Feb 2 8:14 am

Behavior & Training > Destructive dog

Buddy

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:53am PST 
Thanks, I suppose I'll just have to start crating him when I'm gone. I didn't mean it to sound like I thought my social life was more important, btw-It's not. And as far as trips to the city, those happen like 3x a year, if that.

However, I live in a rural area-no friends or petsitters to be seen.

I've tried excercising him, but being a young lab, he has boundless energy. Multiple walks a day, plus multiple training sessions, plus tossing a ball sporadically throughout the day doesn't work to fully tire him out. I'm thinking of taking up hiking/swimming with him smile

As for leaving him in the bathroom, I'd probably need a new toilet if I did that. I've worked with dogs before, and I've never met one this destructive.

Thanks for your help, though. I'm sure I can figure out a way to expel his excess energy, and knowing I can't trust him alone, I'll just make sure to crate him when I'm gone.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by 'Barcoola' Rogue, Feb 3 8:12 pm

Buddy

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:15am PST 
When I'm home he doesn't chew on [I]anything[/I]. Toys or otherwise. But I know that he chews his toys, as well as furniture and stuff, when I'm gone because I'll come home to stuffing everywhere and to his toys being completely destroyed.

I could start putting him in the crate when I'm gone for a short amount of time, but what about when I'm gone all day? It's rare for me to be gone all day, I'll admit, but what if my mother or friends wanted to go on a day trip to the city or something? I'd hate to have to put a complete end to my social life because I can't trust my dog alone. Is there anyway to correct the behavior or to keep him entertained when I'm gone?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by 'Barcoola' Rogue, Feb 3 8:12 pm

Buddy

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 6:36am PST 
Buddy, my 9ish month old rescue, is destructive when he's left alone. I don't think it's seperation anxiety, since he almost never scratches at the door or whines when I leave him alone. I'm pretty sure he's just bored. I give him toys, stuffed toys and chew toys mostly, and take him for frequent walks to try and burn off energy. I don't even have to leave him alone that long-A five minute run to the store could lead to me needing a new radio or couch. Any suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by 'Barcoola' Rogue, Feb 3 8:12 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.