Postings by Lillian THDN CGC

GO!

Food & Nutrition > Help Settle a Debate (Which Dog Food?)

Lillian THDN- CGC

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:05pm PST 
Currently our Shetland Sheepdog has been raised on Eukanuba Puppy - Small Breed Kibble (from the Breeder). For treats I like to use Natural Balance's Premium Food Rolls and cut them up into bite sized treats. I mentioned today to my husband that I would like to slowly transition her to a different brand of dog food. He gave me a very perplexed look and asked why - if it works, why would you switch it. True. I guess I just have a preference to brands that I know are a better product / healthier. I could of course show him ingredient lists or go to dogfoodanalysis.com and talk about it - but is that going over board? Should I just use what works (thus far)?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dunkin, Jan 9 7:46 am

Behavior & Training > Bringing Puppy into Family Home - Strategies for Success
Lillian THDN- CGC

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 5:22pm PST 
Well she came home early! We brought her home today (verses Saturday) and it is going great. She is a bit timid so we gave her plenty of space and she would go to her "area" when she felt like it was all a little bit too much. She seems potty trained, not a single accident yet. She has peed outside three times and pooped outside too!

We absolutely love her. Total snuggle bug.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Jan 1 11:34 pm

Behavior & Training > Bringing Puppy into Family Home - Strategies for Success

Lillian THDN- CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:49pm PST 
After research, planning, and advise from breeder - we will be bringing home a 17 week old Shetland Sheepdog puppy this Saturday (01/06).

While I have ideas on how to make this easier I always like getting more opinions.

I am not worried about my two young girls. My 3 year old has absolutely no fear with dogs. When I say none I mean none. Large dogs (our friend's dogs) have knocked her over and licked her like crazy and she's just cracking up laughing having the time of her life. The youngest is not even mobile yet. So those two are going to love this new addition - I just want our puppy to not feel overwhelmed. Which is also one of the reasons why we are bringing home a little bit of an older puppy.

I was thinking maybe for the car ride home I could bring something of my girls (like clothing) and put it in the crate for her to begin to get used to that scent and have her sleep with these items for a couple days.

I also want to get my 3 year old involved in all the care taking so our puppy (Lilly) can see she is a source of food and something positive/rewarding. (Not just this strange little girl who wants to just love me and play with me constantly)

The children will have rules. No chasing her, no swatting her, no squeezing her, lots of basic concepts. When my 3 year old met our youngest daughter for the first time (and when we brought her home) I was very nervous - but she is amazing to her baby sister, so gentle, so calm, so compassionate, and follows the rules with her very well. So now with the puppy I am nervous again but I have more faith that she will want to follow the rules.

Today we used a stuffed dog and pretended it was Lilly and how we hold her and pet her and controlling the volume of our voice so it does not scare her. So from a Mommy stand point I've been working on that end of things.

I hope we can make this transition as smooth as possible for Lilly. I am a stay at home mother so I will be with her 24-7.

If you have any recommendations for us I would love to hear them. Thanks for reading and your help.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Smokey, Jan 1 11:34 pm

Puppy Place > Preparing for Puppy

Lillian THDN- CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:16pm PST 
We are bringing home our 17 week old Shetland Sheepdog puppy this Saturday (01/06).

A lot of thought and planning has been going into this decision as we have (2) young Daughters. I can never be over prepared.

I have been thinking of a list of supplies and would love to hear what everyone else does/did just to cross check and make sure I've got it all covered. We are all just so excited I'm sure maybe a few things have slipped my mind.

Puppy Items:
Crate
Dog Bed
Leash
Collar
Toys (does your puppy have favorites?)
Food & Water Bowls (recommendations?)
Clicker for training
Dog Treats

Do you think I'm missing anything? Add some things to my list. Thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sputnik, Jan 1 4:08 pm

Dogs & Travel > Bringing Puppy Home

Lillian THDN- CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:09pm PST 
Bringing our 17 week old Shetland Sheepdog puppy home this Saturday (01/06).

The breeder told me the safest way for her to travel would be in a dog crate.

I drive a sedan so I plan to remove my Daughters' car seats so that hopefully the crate will fit into the backseat.

I know some dogs get car sick while others fall asleep in the car or enjoy it. Curious to find out which one "Lilly" is.

We live in the town next door so it is only a 10-15 minute drive.

I was thinking about what helps me (I get motion sickness quite easily myself) and a cracked window with the fresh air rushing in and having forward facing visibility helps. Well the visibility option is out as she'll be in a crate but maybe I could crack a window (but I don't want the wind noise or anything to freak her out).

If anyone has tips, tricks, or helpful ideas I hope to hear from you. Thank you so much.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 23 10:20 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.