GO!

Dog Health > Please HELP MY DOG

Brandy

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 12:34am PST 
It sounds a bit like mange to me, too - Brandy had this earlier in the year, sorted quickly with medication. Does she run free? If it is sarcoptic mange (which we get from foxes over here, not sure in the USA) they can pick up the mites from long grass through which foxes have passed, so you would also need prophylactic treatment. We use something called Advocate, which I apply once a month, and it deals with all parasites, both internal and external. Usually, mange appears first on the belly and the insides of the legs. In its early stages it takes the form of a pale, round, slightly scabby-looking patch. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 30 10:18 am

Dog Health > Stiffness and pain
Brandy

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 12:38am PST 
Thank you all so much. Brandy seems to be feeling better, but it is hard to say, because, of course, the pain is being masked by the medicine. We will just have to wait and see.
Christmas was fine, thanks - this year just me and my son and the animals (Brandy and the three cats). I live on a boat, and Alex, my son, lives on another one, and is my neighbour. We might go for a short cruise during the holiday, but Brandy doesn't much like it - unlike the cats, she wasn't born to this lifestyle! Usually, one of us walks her on the towpath, but that's not an option at the moment.
Anyway, best wishes to you all, and thank you so much for the advice and support.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 26 12:38 am

Dog Health > Tear Stains?

Brandy

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 12:40am PST 
I haven't had this problem with a dog, but a friend with a white Persian cat says that baby powder applied gently on a moist cotton bud is a help, but please make sure it is baby powder and not perfumed talc, which will cause irritation.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 4:59 pm

Brandy

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 12:32am PST 
Thank you so much for the advice, which I took. I got the vet to come out (this is a great option we have here at my vet, costs an extra £8, but saves uncomfortable travel or stress), and it isn't Lyme, because Brandy has a regular treatment which deals with parasites of any kind. This is either arthritis, which I most sincerely hope it is not, or it is an injury of some kind, and I have no idea of how she got it. Anyway, my poor love has been ordered to complete rest for two weeks, which she will find extremely boring, as well as anti-inflammatories and pain killers. Please keep your fingers crossed for me, and do excuse me if I don't join the various clubs. I'm not unfriendly (I hope!) but it's not really my thing. I will keep looking in on the website, and join in what I can. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas! Very best wishes, and from Brandy, and I will let you know what happens at the end of two weeks.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 26 12:38 am

Brandy

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 1:09am PST 
No. Sorry, I don't know what that is. It's thirty years since I last had a dog, and Brandy was rather wished on me when my son moved into a one room flat - by then, she had become the family dog, and, since she had been rescued, rehoming her yet again would have been very hard, and anyway, we all love her. I wondered if it might be arthritis or tendinitis (?spelling), but I shall be taking her back to the vet today, if I can get an appointment. Could you tell me a bit about Lyme, so I can get that checked if necessary?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 26 12:38 am

Brandy

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '12 11:43pm PST 
My lovely young dog has suddenly developed stiffness, and is now moving like an old dog. Pressure on her shoulders induces pain. I thought this might be because she had been running and jumping on hard ground, but it is getting worse, even though I am now only exercising her on grass. She is less than four years old, is a Belgian Mallinois (possibly crossed with German Shepherd), and was previously full of joy and enthusiasm. This started two weeks ago. Any ideas, please?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 26 12:38 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.