Postings by Indiana

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Dog Laws & Legislation > Aggressive dogs back in my building, not sure what I can do?
Indiana

Barked: Wed May 14, '14 6:40am PST 
I live in a condo building in a pretty dog friendly neighborhood. There are a few other people in my building (12 units) with dogs and tons of other dogs in the surrounding buildings. Technically there is a 1 pet per unit rule (meaning only one cat or dog) but I know there are plenty of people who are in violation and I would say for the most part it's not an issue...except for this one family in my building.

About 3 years ago, I watched 3 lab-mixes that were staying in their unit attack my next door neighbor's sweet, old beagle mix. The guy was walking all 3 dogs together, one got loose and so he let the other two go as well. All 3 made a beeline across the parking lot (maybe 50 yards?) over to the grassy area where my neighbor and her dog were and just started tearing into the poor old beagle. My neighbor was screaming and hitting them with her umbrella and they would just not let up. They ended up tearing her up pretty good (several thousand dollars in vet bills) but she made it. Animal Control was called but before they could do anything these dogs were shipped back to their home in Germany so nothing ever came of it. I do know that these people took well over a year to pay my neighbor back for the vet bills and never apologized for what happened...so, add big jerks to the other list of offenses.

Now, these dogs are back, and it makes me really uncomfortable but I'm not really sure what I can do about it? There's pretty much 0 chance that these same folks once again have a different black, yellow and chocolate lab (mixes?) staying with them, that would be a really strange coincidence. And last night when I was trying to take Indy out for his before bedtime pee the lady told me not to come downstairs because she and her dog were there - but they were just standing in the middle of the first floor over by some people's doors where they couldn't be seen, which seemed very strange to me. She said "Don't come down here, my dog will go crazy". I don't like being nervous every time I walk out of my building, especially if she's going to be lurking around with a dog in where she has no business being (she lives on the 2nd floor). Also, there's a dog that lives on the first floor in the back so what if they'd come out and she'd been standing there with the dog she can't control or have around other dogs? It all just seems like a really bad idea but I don't know that there is really anything I can do except report them for having 3 dogs and I really don't want to be that person...

Anybody had to deal with something like this before? I saw how it changed my neighbor's dog after the attack - she eventually had to go live with the neighbor's ex-husband because she was so afraid to be outside in our neighborhood. I would hate for that to happen to Indy or any of the other super sweet dogs that live around us.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ember FDX, May 14 1:53 pm

Behavior & Training > Coping with loss.
Indiana

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 10:14am PST 
Oh no! So very sorry for your loss. How terrible. cry
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Pogo, Feb 18 7:43 pm

Behavior & Training > Not really sure what happened here???

Indiana

Barked: Wed Jan 15, '14 7:36am PST 
A quick update: We were upstairs last night and all was fine. He went and laid by the bed and when I wanted to go back downstairs I told him it was time for bed and when he didn't move I started to count backwards from 3 (I do this on walks when he is just standing and sniffing forever - once I hit 1 we move on whether he wants to keep sniffing or not)...after I hit 2 he just got up and went down the stairs. No drama or issues at all. That makes me think it probably was that the pizza was there? But that makes me even more unsure of how to deal with this now since it's such a very specific situation and otherwise he doesn't really guard things at all...and he doesn't ever GET pizza so what's the point of the guarding?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Indiana, Jan 15 7:36 am

Behavior & Training > Not really sure what happened here???

Indiana

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 5:28am PST 
A little backstory first - I had a pipe burst in my condo last week and the place is a total disaster now. Carpet ripped up, holes in the walls and 7 giant fans running 24/7 to dry the place out. For the most part it's manageable but there have been two big changes because of it. First, my brother had to move out of his room and has put his mattress up in the loft on the floor of my office so he can sleep away from the fans (and in a room without holes in the wall). Second, Indy no longer has free reign of the house at night. The fans are so loud I need to shut my door and I'm not going to wake up and let him in when he decides he's ready for bed so he now comes in with me.

Last night after I'd gone to bed my brother had a pizza delivered. The delivery guy knocked and Indy went nuts barking and wouldn't let up so I got up and let him out of the room and he raced up to the loft where my brother had the pizza. I wanted to go back to bed so I went to the bottom of the stairs and called him and...nothing. So I walked up there and he's at the foot of the mattress and I said "Indiana, downstairs, right now" and motioned towards the stairs (right next to me). He sort of crouched back/down and his ears went back so, obviously getting closer was a bad plan, I wasn't going to grab him and make him go down...but he jumped up and bit my hand anyway! Or, maybe not "bit" since he didn't break the skin and there's no bruising and it didn't really hurt but it was definite mouth on hand contact.

After he did it, he slunk over to the other side of the mattress and laid down next to the bed and stared at me like "I dare you to move me". Instead I made my brother take the pizza away, Indy then moved downstairs and I sent him to his bed.

He's never been like this with me he's normally absolutely fine with me being in his space even when he's eating, I've taken food he picked up outside out of his mouth without issue when he won't drop it. I've also had to move him from under the coffee table on more than one occasion when it's been time for a bath so I don't think he would feel cornered by me now and not then? I'm so confused. On one hand I'm pretty mad at him for doing it (which I know is not productive but I thought we had a good thing going and now I feel like I can't trust him) and on the other I'm also wondering what I did and how I can make sure that this never happens again.

My brother has a habit of luring him into his room (and now upstairs) with the promise of a peanut or piece of string cheese. I never really had a problem with it before because a peanut here or there isn't really a huge deal but I'm putting a stop to that from now on. He's also not going to be allowed to just hangout if my brother is eating in his room. (My dining room table is covered in the linens that I can't put in the closet that was destroyed by the cleaning so options of where to eat are limited even if I wanted to make a "no food in bedrooms" rule) We haven't had problems with that in the past but then he was on a real bed instead of a mattress on the floor. Could that be the difference? As soon as we were out of the loft he was back to normal and wanting to love up on me instead of being on his bed...

Anybody have any thoughts?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Indiana, Jan 15 7:36 am

Choosing the Right Dog > This breed is for "experienced dog owners only"?

Indiana

Barked: Sat Jan 11, '14 7:51pm PST 
Indy probably should have been an "experienced dog owners only" dog - he's mostly cattle dog and a handful and a half. I'd grown up with dogs but never ANYTHING coming close to him... I had very fond memories of our dog growing up and how he'd hangout and let you pet him and he'd sleep a lot (he was almost 19 when we had to put him down...we'd had him since I was 6). Bringing home a 9 month old cattle dog mix was a shock to say the least. Honestly, I can see why he was homeless and I think I caught the rescue by surprise (they were new) and I should NEVER have been given him...but I was. And I'm not a quitter. Over 4 years later he is an amazing dog, and not just because he's done what I wanted but also because I learned what he needed from me. It seems like you really love your dogs and you're not lazy or oblivious. I wouldn't let yourself be scared off by "experienced dog owners only". If you find a dog that you click with, you will figure it out. You know what you're capable of and what you're looking for.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Jan 15 11:24 am

Behavior & Training > Why do dog owners never seem to teach their dogs boundaries and manners?
Indiana

Barked: Sat Jan 11, '14 7:39pm PST 
I totally agree with Sabi and everyone else. Indy is a really good dog but he begs (without drooling on my lap), normally counter surfing would be not okay except when he does it to get his kong in the mornings...then I just think it's funny. He once jumped up onto a friend's lap when she was sitting in one of my dining room chairs... He put his paws up, I said "Don't let him do that" and she said "He's not going to come up". He heard "up" and hopped right up and landed on her lap. She just laughed. It was hilarious, mostly because she did not think he'd do it. He likes to cuddle and he thought she asked for it, though, so you can't get mad at him.

What I find really funny is his lack of tolerance for other dogs that "break the rules". We dog-sat for my aunt's two puppies once and a rule at my house is no playing on furniture. I don't want him bouncing all over me when I'm sleeping and we have a friend whose dog doesn't let him be when she's here so the couch/my bed is his hiding space when he needs a break. Well, my aunt's puppies did not have that rule and the disdain that he showed when they were having wrestle-mania on the bed was amazing. He got down off the bed, laid on the floor and shot me this look over his shoulder like "I'll come back when they stop this nonsense..." Their house, their rules so I had no problems but he was SO annoyed.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hucky and Ringo, Jan 16 11:26 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Am I a bad person for not wanting to rescue?

Indiana

Barked: Wed Nov 27, '13 5:27pm PST 
I agree with everyone else. If you want a very specific breed of puppy from a good breeder because that's what you want then that is your eecision and there is nothing wrong with that. BUT if what is holding you back from rescuing is that you think the dog won't bond with you as well then I think you might want to rethink things. I adopted Indy at about 9ish months (old enough to sleep through the night and hold it through the work day!) and I cannot imagine being more bonded to a dog. He is the definition of a Velcro dog, knows what I want before I say anything and I can do pretty much anything to him and at the least he will tolerate it quietly and without a fight (baths, nail clipping, ear cleaning, there was once a penis infection and ointment and irrigation and grossness...). My mom also took in a dog that my brother's friend could no longer care for; she was her 4th home in 3 years and she ADORES my mom. I think a lot of times they appreciate the love and stability more than a dog who has always had it.

Either way, it's your decision and you shouldn't let anybody make you feel bad about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Babe, Nov 28 8:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Link bit my dad.

Indiana

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 12:36pm PST 
I'm so sorry to hear this happened. Indy bit my step-dad for a pretty similar reason. I wasn't there so it's mostly conjecture but my step-dad's dogs are not house trained and so he doesn't wait for them to ask to go out and if they don't want to go out he will force it. Indy IS completely house trained and isn't the biggest fan of my step-dad anyway. From what I hear my mom was sleeping and Indy was sleeping on the floor next to her, like he does while I'm not there, and my step-dad tried to get him to go out. He wouldn't move and so my step-dad went and got a leash to try and drag him outside. I imagine, at this point, Indy gave off some "back up off me" signals, my step-dad ignored them (because he doesn't care what dogs think or feel) and likely stepped toward him, Indy felt threatened and reacted. I am also not my step-dad's biggest fan and if given another option (another person in the house) Indy won't even walk out into the yard with him so I can't say I'm really all that surprised. And, frankly, I was more upset with my step-dad than I was with Indy about the whole thing.

I'm lucky, though, and I'm 31 years old and have my own place so I'm totally in control of whether or not Indy is around him. I just choose not to leave him there with my mom anymore if I go somewhere and I don't let my step-dad be alone with him.

I think getting a trainer is a great idea. Hopefully your dad will be receptive to working with you and the trainer and Link to learn a more constructive way to deal with him. It can be hard to bring a parent around to your way of seeing things, even when you're an adult yourself. Having a professional explain things might make a difference.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, May 28 12:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Tell me about Australian Cattle Dogs! Now that I find myself with one.

Indiana

Barked: Fri May 24, '13 12:28pm PST 
Congratulations on your new addition! She's very pretty and they're wonderful dogs!

When I first got Indy he was around 9 months old and pretty mellow... I was surprised because I was expecting this crazy dog but he walked nicely on a leash, no sniffing even really, certainly no chasing anything or any herding/heeling. After a few weeks, he figured out that he was home and I was going to stick and then I actually go to see the "real" him. Feet are the first thing he goes for if anybody moves too quickly (I've actually stepped ON his mouth because he got it around my foot while I was walking up the stairs and I couldn't stop in time), he loves to chase - squirrles, people, dogs, sheep, wahtever - and he herds like nobody's business. If people are walking 100 yards behind us he will stop, turn around, lay down and refuse to move while he watches them come toward us. It's now become a down/stay when we see people and they think he's well behaved instead of stubborn as all get out. So, maybe you got lucky and have a mellow ACD or maybe she's just feeling you out before she shows her true colors. smile

The fearlessness and velcroness sound pretty much right on. When we hike Indy hops up onto rocks that I don't even want to go onto all while wearing his backpack (with weights) without even giving it a second thought. He's also broken through a friend's gate to get to me when I left him in their back yard to go unload my car. The next time she and I went out we came home to her husband in the back yard with the dogs and all kinds of bungee cords securing the slats of the gate together. He said "I Indy proofed it!" Between wanting to be with me and having no fear/no real reaction to pain I don't think there's much he woulnd't do to get to me.

Tiller is right on with keeping them occupied. After having him for a few years we've worked out a pretty good routine and I think it helps that he knows what to expect each day so being home alone all day while I'm at work isn't a big deal to him anymore. Daycare is a big help as well as doubling up walking/training.

As far as the spaying thing - My mom got her dog when she was maybe 2ish and she hadn't been fixed either. She just had her checkup a few months back and she'd put on 10 pounds since being spayed. She came from a friend of my brother's so we know that she's now far more active than she was with them and even now that she's on diet food she's having a hard time losing the extra weight so that might be something to keep an eye on.

Good luck!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali, May 25 6:47 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Twister is missing. :(
Indiana

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 6:57am PST 
I'm so sorry to hear this! I have friends whose dog bolted from the dogsitters house while they were on vacation but after 20 days and a 13 mile trip she showed up back at home on thier porch. Don't give up hope!
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Twister, May 29 11:47 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.