Postings by Zimmer

GO!

Behavior & Training > Leash aggression...

Zimmer

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 2:02pm PST 
Thank you all so much for your input! I really appreciate it.

I just wanted to give a quick update on Zimmer: He seems to be doing better with his leash aggression already, which I feel is kind of like a miracle. I don't know if it was just a fluke brought on by his not-so-friendly encounter with the other GSD at the dog park, but he hasn't growled or snarled or done his "scary bark" for the last few days whenever he came into contact with other dogs. Yesterday he was happily playing with several different dogs (a Labradoodle, another GSD [YAY!], and a Pit mix) for nearly an hour at the park all of whom he met before while on the leash. I watched for any signs of aggression, but he exhibited none of his usual behavior. I did a bit of LAT with him, but in the end, he seemed OK and so I let him off the leash and that was that. We didn't have any problems for the next hour. I breathed a sigh of relief because I feel like we're taking a real step in the right direction.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dylan aka Dilly, Jan 17 3:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Leash aggression...
Zimmer

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 1:43pm PST 
A few weeks back, my rescued GSD, Zimmer, was attacked at the fence-line of a dog park by another large (larger than Zimmer) dog. Ever since, Zimmer has been aggressive towards other dogs. If he's off leash, he's fine (if the dog is smaller than him), but when he's on leash and we're out for a walk, he begins to do his "scary bark" which turns into a borderline snarl. His tail is wagging, but I know that doesn't mean he's happy/excited about the situation.

While he knows "leave it", actually getting him to leave it when out on a walk is another story. I was told by my trainer to always bring his favorite squeaky ball with me to redirect his attention back to me, but this morning he paid no attention to me, or the ball. I had to actually grab him by the collar and turn him around to walk in the opposite direction. I know that his aggression could be a reflection of my feelings, so I always try to remain calm in situations like these, but it is a little nerve-wracking.

He just seems to be getting worse. It used to be just the big dogs he'd have a fit about, now he's become aggressive towards the smaller dogs. It's scary. I feel like I won't be able to take him anywhere without the constant fear that he may, one day, lunge and attack another dog...

Any thoughts on what I should/could do?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Dylan aka Dilly, Jan 17 3:55 pm

Food & Nutrition > Picky eater alert!

Zimmer

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 3:46pm PST 
Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate them. Zimmer was looked at by our vet a few days after we adopted him, and there was nothing wrong with him health-wise, so... I'm still going to take him in, just to make sure it isn't something that sprouted up while he's been with us. Meanwhile, I'll continue to add the "extras" to his food in order to get him to eat. I had no idea you could add eggs to their food! I'll be sure to try that tomorrow.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 2 8:38 pm

Food & Nutrition > Picky eater alert!

Zimmer

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 10:39pm PST 
Hey all, new GSD mom here with a problem. I adopted my boy Zimmer a few weeks back, and his eating habits are starting to worry me. He's atrociously picky about his food - so much so I've had to resort to putting rice, ground turkey, and two tablespoons of chicken broth into his dry food (Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain in Salmon and Sweet Potato) to entice him. Sometimes, however, that doesn't even work. Since I have no previous history on him, who knows what kind of feeding schedule he was on growing up (he's a little under a year old right now), or what his previous owners fed him...

I've tried to get him on a schedule. I started him at twice a day (two cups at 11, and two and a half at 5:30), but he wouldn't even touch his lunchtime food. I started feeding him earlier, around 8:30 in the morning (one and a half cups), followed by another one cup at 1, and a cup and a half at 5:30 - he would eat MAYBE two or three mouthfuls before walking away. He wouldn't even touch his dinner UNTIL around 7:30 or 8 when he would trek into the kitchen and whine at his bowl for me to uncover it. He's not getting enough food. Period. He should be eating 4-5 cups a day at his age, especially because he was a stray and is still underweight. I've scheduled another vet visit for Saturday (first appointment they had available with his usual vet), but I figured I would come on here and see if anyone else has had this issue...? Could it be he genuinely doesn't like his dry food? Are there any other fresh/raw ingredients I could add to it in order to make it more appetizing? I'm just so worried he isn't eating enough and putting on the weight he needs...
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jan 2 8:38 pm

German Shepherd > Zimmer, the rescued German Shepherd

Zimmer

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 4:58pm PST 
Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago, I adopted a (almost) one year old purebred German Shepherd boy, who I've since named Zimmer. He's a great dog - very mellow, sweet, friendly... This is my first male dog. I've had females all my life, but he and I had an instant connection, which is why I made the decision to adopt him. It's been a learning experience, for both of us. He's got a quirk where, when he gets excited (either when I wake up, or my other dog comes in the room) he humps the air. This is common, I know, and I've even had a few female dogs who humped legs vigorously... But I've never seen a dog just hump the air like that. He's neutered, by the way, which doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as the humping quirk goes, but I've never seen a dog hump the air. Also, he's learned pretty quickly that when I push him away, he needs to stop. So it's definitely not something he does continuously (once, or twice a day at the most). And he's never humped my (spayed) female dog. He just gets excited to see her. I assume this is normal behavior?

Another thing, he's exceptionally lazy, which I've learned from family members (some who have owned Shepherds all their life) isn't particularly a bad thing, but I also feel like he's not being stimulated enough physically. I walk him every morning down (and back) a three mile walking trail, which is sufficient in tiring him out for the rest of the day. He'll play with his toys for, maybe, five to ten minutes before he gets that tired look in his eye and naps. And this is how it is all day; random burst of energy for five-ten minutes, followed by a nap, repeat a few times, and then he sleeps through the night. He's still a puppy, I know, so I'm guessing once he's older he'll probably require more stimulation, but I'm also worried he's sleeping so much out of boredom. I try to engage him with all kinds of toys, but he becomes disinterested pretty quickly and lays down. My vet has checked him out, as well, just as a precaution, but he's in great health. And as I live in San Francisco, where it's continuously cold and/or raining, I have to play with him inside. We're not yet at the point where I feel comfortable taking him to a dog park, either. He needs a bit more training before I feel completely okay with letting him off leash among so many dogs (and it's not because he isn't social - he has yet to meet a dog he doesn't like, I just don't want to rush him as he is still getting acclimated with his new life alongside me).

Maybe I'm just being an overly-worried dog mom...? I don't want him to be unhappy, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 11 9:52 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.