Postings by Garnet

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Food & Nutrition > Nearly two year old small breed female dog only gains weight and does well on puppy food?
Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '14 7:17pm PST 
We did try the Taste of the wild puppy with Garnet and she didnt do well on it. She still wasnt gaining weight. We have tried different higher calorie adult dry dog foods as well as canned and she still looked really skinny. Enough that she almost looked emaciated. She really seems to like the puppy chow and the ol roy puppy. I know that they arent great for her but she is at least gaining weight on it. She has been checked for all types of worms by her vet and she is worm free so thats not a problem. Her dad is a skinny dog too where her mom is rather heavy for a Min Pin weighing in at around 18 pounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lily, Apr 3 2:36 pm

Food & Nutrition > Nearly two year old small breed female dog only gains weight and does well on puppy food?
Garnet

Barked: Tue Apr 1, '14 9:10am PST 
Garnet is almost 2 years old and when we feed her adult dog food she gets really skinny almost to the point of looking like an animal cruelty case. Recently we had a pit bull pup dumped on us and were feeding her puppy chow. I know I know not good for a puppy but she was ok on it for a while then got horrid gas. We switched her to something else with the same results so she now eats Taste Of The Wild puppy which has not given her gas. Garnet and Blaize got the rest of Demon's puppy chow and Garnet seems to be gaining weight at a steady rate now. She had lost almost all her weight before putting her on the puppy chow and looked really bad. Now she is loking really good again. She is back up to eleven pounds and is still gaining. Should we keep her on it or put her back on adult dog food? We tried TOTW with her and Blaize and she lost a lot of weight on it too.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lily, Apr 3 2:36 pm

Dog Health > Garnet's back leg with the knee problem. Should we have the leg taken off or just have it repaired?

Garnet

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 7:32pm PST 
We talked to one of Garnet's vets last week when we took Demon to the vet to get her shots and voiced our concerns about the knee. He didnt say anything about it though. I mentioned that my fear is that because Garnet is so active that she might end up doing something that would undo the surgery and that because of that we were considering maybe having that leg taken off completely at the hip but he had nothing to say. Tank Bella and Hailie have to go to the vet to get their three year rabies shots next month and I am gonna try to set it up to get them in on the day that Dr. Aron is in instead of Dr. Matt. I like them both but it seemed like Dr. Matt was in a bit of a hurry last week.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Dog Health > Garnet's back leg with the knee problem. Should we have the leg taken off or just have it repaired?

Garnet

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '14 2:09pm PST 
@Vance: She barely uses the leg at all. She is in a lot of pain with that leg. You can tell it because she doesnt want to play or even run on it right now. I dont know what to expect but I do know that after her spay through the humane society I dont want to turn to them for any help again because they did a lot of things wrong and she nearly didnt come out of it. She was very lethargic for two days and off her food for nearly a week as well as getting an infection after the surgical glue came undone.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Garnet

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 5:54pm PST 
We are going to talk to her vet next week.The office that we use has two different vets on staff but Garnet and I like Dr Aron best because he seems to take more time with his clients than Dr. Matt does. That and he makes things easier to understand.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Garnet

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 2:02pm PST 
Last year after Garnet was spayed we noticed she was limping on one back leg. We took her to the vet and he did x-rays. The x-rays showed that she has a problem with her knee. The vet showed us the x-ray and there is a noticed twist in the tibia bone. There is also a remodeling of the leading edge of the tibia bone. The vet wasnt going to worry with it unless it got worse or if she got to where she wasnt weight bearing on it. She will barely put weight on the leg if she is walking but if she is standing then she will hold the leg up and stand only on three legs. She seems to only put her paw down if she is going to stand or turn around and then its only the toes of her paw. From everything I have read the surgery to repair the leg could cause problems again. And trying to keep her on crate rest didnt go so well when she was spayed. Which would be the better option taking her leg off or try having it repaired? Hopefully someone with a three legged dog might give a little help. I just am concerned that if we try to get the leg repaired it will not help that much or that she will have even more problems with it in the long term.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Apr 6 5:03 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > If you know your Pit Bull is DA with some dogs why walk past houses where these types live? RANT

Garnet

Barked: Wed Dec 4, '13 8:58pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. I finally convinced her to at least attempt walking Face the other way I think and hope so any way. I had Bella on the twenty foot line yesterday morning when I went to put her out in the outdoor run. Going down the back steps I lost my balance and fell. I tried to keep a grip on the line but she managed to pull away. She didnt bolt right away but stayed beside me till I was almost back on my feet. Then she went and got a drink out of one of the water buckets in the run. Before I could grab her however she spotted Face and his owner coming down the street. She went as far as the back bumper of our SUV which was just a little over 10 feet out of my reach even with her dragging the 20 foot line. Face wanted to make dog chow out of Bella who is around 60 pounds. I managed to get a hold of Bella and get her into the run and close the gate before Face could attack and injure or kill her. I remained calm and asked very VERY nicely if the owner would not only walk him the other way but also use a collar and shorter leash instead of a body harness and long line. I found out from one of her sons that she has had 5 other pit bulls and each of them was shot by police and AC because of the dogs being aggressive. So she does have a history of pit bulls with aggressive issues. Thankfully I will be home every day for the next month starting Friday because of Christmas Break from school so I will be able to monitor her and Face better.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Twister, Jan 26 10:41 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > If you know your Pit Bull is DA with some dogs why walk past houses where these types live? RANT

Garnet

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 7:54pm PST 
I have taken to keeping the two little ones in the house now just to keep them safe. Tank and Bella go out into the dog run off the garage and we set up a heavy duty trolly cable for Cheveyo that puts him quite a ways back from the edge of the yard. We are looking into different types of fencing to keep our dogs safe. I want to do a 6 foot high chain link fence all the way around the yard but still have the runs so that the dogs can be put up when someone is out to mow the yard or when the meter reader comes to read the light meter or the water meter.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Twister, Jan 26 10:41 am

Garnet

Barked: Fri Nov 29, '13 10:57am PST 
@Hershey, she walks him or rather he walks her into my yard. I have to deal with this every day. I have tried talking to her but she doesnt want to hear it. I have asked her kindly to please walk Face in the other direction because I dont want him attacking my dogs but she says that its easier for him to walk past my house every time she has to walk him. I keep my dogs under control either vocal or leashed. They come when called and I can call them off a small furry animal like a bunny with no hesitation on their parts. But Face always wants to kill or maim other dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Twister, Jan 26 10:41 am

Garnet

Barked: Thu Nov 28, '13 4:51pm PST 
My husband, the dogs, the cats and I moved into a mobile home in town with a large yard. We had just gotten the dogs all settled, put up their kennel runs and everything to make sure that they are all contained. We have gotten the girls all spayed and the boys will be neutered after the first of the year. The two little ones go out only when someone can be out in the yard to watch them every moment as we havent gotten it fenced off yet. It cost us over $30,000 for the house, insurance, taxes and everything else and my husband's exemptions dont kick in until next year. Anyway we were getting ready to take the little ones in the house when one of our neighbors a few doors down comes walking down the street with her pit bull. Now dont get me wrong I love pits I have nothing against them at all but she has him in a flimsy body harness on a twenty foot long leash and he is all the way out at the end of the leash. Garnet and Blaize of course want to go up and say hello, just as they get off the edge of the ramp in the front north side of the yard her pit lunges at them snarling and trying to get at them. I called them back and they came right away both shaking and scared to death. The owner of the pit doesnt ask if my dogs were hurt she doesnt call out to me before my dogs even left the ramp that her pit isnt dog friendly with small dogs or male dogs. I open the door and let the little ones in then she is all "my dog will kill small dogs and male dogs." I tried to remain calm and ask her why she didnt tell me that when I asked her if her dog was ok with other dogs. She thought I asked her if he was friendly toward people. Now if I have the two little ones or Tank or Cheveyo out in the yard and I hear her walking my way I have to rush them in the house because she will not shorten Face's leash and she refuses to walk him the other way so that he doesnt get into my yard. She knows I have male dogs and small ones as well. I have been in the middle of getting ready to take Tank and Bella out for training sessions, they are Service Dogs in Training, and had to rush to get Tank loaded because she is walking Face past and Face is headed right for my dogs.
I have asked her several times to shorten his leash or walk him in the other direction so that he won't attack my dogs. Its gotten to a point that I dont even want to take the little ones out in the yard let alone take Tank and Bella out to work because she has to walk Face past my house three times a day every day. I understand that dogs need to be walked but I am afraid to even walk my own dogs in the yard because of her pit. What if anything can I do besides fencing off the yard to keep my own dogs safe? Is there any legal steps I can take to keep my dogs safe like requesting that she be made to muzzle her dog or shorten his leash? My own are walked on a 6 foot leash and wear a gentle leader. Tank and Bella go out to their kennel run on leash and spend the day out there when its not really cold and I make sure that the neighbor is not out with Face when I bring them in because bringing them in is the only time that they are off leash in the yard. And they run the three or four feet from the gate of the run to the back door. They dont go anywhere else, I taught them that when I say door I mean go to the door so we can go in.We plan on fencing off the yard when our finances are better again, but the fence will have to be at least 6 to 8 feet tall because any lower and Tank and Bella will jump it. It will also have to be set four inches to 8 inches in the ground with a hot wire to keep them from digging out. My dogs are also all up to date on their vaccinations. I dont know about Face, the neighbor's dog, though. I wanted to add that its about 40 to 50 feet from the edge of the ramp to the curb and my dogs had just stepped an inch off the ramp and her dog was half way in my yard when he acted like he was gonna rip my two to shreds.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Twister, Jan 26 10:41 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.