Postings by Casper

GO!

Raw Food Diet > Yikes! Food aggression?

Casper

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 2:02pm PST 
I grew up with German shepherds and huskies and dogs like the wolf-hybrid. Confident and raised from weaning in our family and well socialized. If they developed problems it was pulling too much on the leash or stealing food, chasing the chickens or in the wolf-hybrid aggression/dominance stuff. I was good even as a teen at working with and solving those training issues. None of it prepared me for a scardy-cat super sensitive fluffball. smile He's taught me a lot.

Clicker based positive training has been the best thing ever for Casper's confidence levels. Our first class, he was so terrified that he wouldn't eat (cooked) chicken pieces. Just took them and dropped them, creating quite a distraction as the other dogs wanted to mop up his leftovers. We have several good local training centers and the first one we went to had really small classes (Max of 6 dogs) and experience with problem dogs.

Casper is especially funny with agility. By the time we took that we'd already taken beginners, manners, and a rally class so the center was familiar. He was terrified of the newly set up equipment however. He learns amazingly fast though and soon he was trotting accross the dog walk and dashing through tunnels pretty well as long as I was close. In competition I'd have to be farther back and I don't think he'd cope well...but just for fun, he loves it. Really perks up when he sees the equipment.

I think any type of consistent gentle training helps though. I don't think there's a too late for good socialization. It just takes a lot longer and is harder with older dogs
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jan 1 2:02 pm

Casper

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 6:46pm PST 
Definitely some insecurity in general. If I close him in my bedroom when I leave for work, he does okay. My neighbor is retired and would call me if he were barking like crazy. If I leave him loose in the whole place though he gets nervous and barks like crazy or chews things he shouldn't. And he gets nervous to the point he refuses to eat except for extra yummy treats when we go somewhere new. But even with that, it's clear that he's rather be with me than stuck at home. And once a new place is "familiar" he's happy to see that we've arrived there. (The first time we go to a dog park or a particular friend's house is all training. The 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th times we do a few minutes of training interspersed with visiting. After that when we arrive, he trots around like he owns the place and settles right in, though always keeping tabs on where I am.)

He's almost 6 years old and I've had him since he was 18 months. Lots of remedial training (and we still do 2-3 'fun classes' a year like rally and agility and nose-work) and bonding stuff was involved and he came to me very poorly socialized with new people and places (though he's excellent with new adult dogs and new puppies, wonderful polite body language, and with new non-canine animals as well). I don't know how much of the Velcro dog thing is temperament and how much is life experience of at least three owners and one SPCA in 18 months and then me. He keep's excellent track of where I am, even off lead.

I think this is an interesting combination of "must be with mommy" and "don't want my food taken". Those must contrast pretty sharply in that little fuzzy skull.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jan 1 2:02 pm

Casper

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 3:04pm PST 
Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions. Casper is totally confusing me with this thing.

Day before yesterday he laid in his crate with dinner for 20 minutes and didn't eat it until I came in and sat on the bed near him. He was probably not extra hungry. If he's really hungry he'll eat without me there. (Though once when I was away and he was on straight kibble he fasted for two and a half days before giving in and eating, and even then only with chicken broth mixed in).

Yesterday I was eating my dinner and he settled with his in the corner of the kitchen. When I finished and moved to the living room, he got up to see where I was going (not unusual, he's a Velcro dog) and then he picked up the remains of his dinner and laid down right at my feet to finish it.

The rest of his behaviors seem to be typical for him. And he's stopped trying to sneak bites of the dry cat food people leave around out here for the feral cats while we're on walks. He now has zero interest. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jan 1 2:02 pm

Casper

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 6:39am PST 
I handed Casper breakfast and told him to go to bed (crate) with it. We don't use the crate as a crate anymore and the door is off but he is good about staying in bed when I send him. I checked back on him in 20 minutes and he had finished eating so I wiped his face and paws and off we went. Maybe at home that will work fine.

I don't expect to *need* to take his food from him...but I don't want him to progress from Grr when he's worried I might take his food to Grr when I just walk past him to Grr when I ask him to move off of the couch to Grr when I ask him to do anything. (Which is how things progressed with the wolf-hybrid when I was a child; give that dog an inch and she'd try to take the whole pack.) Casper is so cooperative most of the time even if he is nervous/ocd about some thigs and I don't want this to be the start of a whole laundry list of issues.

But if my goal is to simply manage what is, to be fair, perfectly natural food protectiveness, how do I handle that when it's meal time away from home? When we're at Grandma's or any friend's house, at the farm or by a friends pool or at the family's beach house. Feed him in the car? Or has anyone had experience with a collapsable travel crate? I have a tiny car so his fairly large vari-kennel that we use at home for bed and grooming stand can't be easily brought along.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jan 1 2:02 pm

Casper

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 2:51pm PST 
I have never seen Casper be food aggressive. He was slightly crate protective when I got him...but food and toys don't usually get guarded. I've seen him wait patiently for a toddler to get done playing with a treat stuffed toy, mopping up the dropped bits and not even trying to take it. We worked on "trade me" for different toys and toy for treat and low value food for high value treat (I.e. dried chicken for fresh chicken) for a while early in his training. No trouble. Early on, I used to hand feed him dinner and he never objected or got grouchy about his food bowl.

Today, I ruffled his head fluff in passing as he was eating and he growled at me. I was stunned for a second. Then got a chicken heart from the fridge and said "trade me" and he was willing to let me take the chicken quarter in exchange for the heart. And I had him lay down and gave him the rest of his dinner back.

When I was younger we had a wolf-hybrid dog that we did the Nothing In Life Is Free thing with because when we lapsed she got pushy and increasingly aggressive. I never expected my sweet poodle mix to get food aggressive with me.

It can't continue, unless we resolve to only let him eat at home. Which would be a shame, no more travel or outings to friends places with me. At the moment, I take him pretty much everywhere except work and stores.

Any experiences in dealing with this?
Recommendations for ways to train him out of it or failing that, manage it when eating somewhere other than home?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Casper, Jan 1 2:02 pm

Raw Food Diet > Bummed
Casper

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 5:33am PST 
I'm not sure how well this applies to dogs but I had to change my eating habits pretty drastically a while back. Not just gluten free but "no gluten anywhere in it's life cycle". Also there's a common preservative that triggers my migraines that is in most commercially packaged raw chicken.

In addition, since a lot of the "bad stuff" in my diet previously was fat soluble, as I lose weight, it gets released back into my system and I have occasional flare ups. Taking months to get the bad stuff the whole way out is normal.

As soon as Casper's vet told me to go grain free to stop his constant itchiness I used my standards of grain free the whole way from birth to slaughter for any human food/treats I fed him. (And grain free kibble is just this week switched to raw fed, again stuff that's grain free birth to death.) I'm really lucky because I live near Amish Country in PA and have relatives who still keep family farms but even if you don't, it's possible to find that stuff, just maybe a bit harder.

Also, I feel a little silly for suggesting it because it was the first thing my vet auggested qhen Cawper was itchy and you've probably already tried it but have you tried changing the dogs shampoo and all of your cleaning/soap/detergents to something hypo-allergenic? Especially with a dog that has short fur, it wouldn't surprise me if anything he touched could trigger skin irritation.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lacey, Dec 22 7:58 am

Raw Food Diet > Starting Raw Questions

Casper

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 5:07pm PST 
I've been using a damp cloth on his face and paws post meal. I think I'll ask the groomer to make his mustache and chin fur a bit shorter than usual when he's in next in January. Just to make my life easier.

The cheese is raw cheese if it matters and I only give him a single shred at a time...though in a class or when he's learning new stuff we can go through a lot of treats pretty fast. The perils of a clicker dog. smile I'm not sure about raw organs in my treat pouch. I wonder if I can stick chicken hearts in my dehydration machine? Or primal style beef jerky?

So far I haven't seen any digestive upset. He wasn't very interested in breakfast this morning, only
licked it a couple of times. So I stuck it back in the refrigerator and gave him breakfast dinner at dinner time. He ate it all then. It might just be a Casper-quirk; lots of mornings with kibble he wasn't interested either but he ate all or most of the full day's amount at dinner time so I never worried much about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Dec 19 6:34 am

Casper

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 6:53am PST 
When I started cutting up the chicken I had snagged from my cousin's place yesterday (they had been butchering). He looked interested. But when I actually handed him a chunk he mostly just looked confused. It took a bit of coaxing to get him to take it. Like he wasn't sure what to do with it. Is that common? He did eventually take it and seemed to enjoy chewing it apart. Came back looking for more and I gave him a couple if little meat slices.

I gave him a chicken neck and part of the back, some meat but not a lot on those parts. He actually stayed cleaner than I expected. He used his paws to brace it some for chewing but he licked them when he was done and was cooperative about letting me wipe his face and paws when he was done.

I had grabbed a fully plucked and gutted chicken. And I guess at less than thirty pounds he's not really big enough to hand a whole chicken...but will there eventually be a point when I can give him intact prey animals even though he's not very large? The cousin with the farm offered to let me grow a few small-breed chickens next year if I want to butcher them myself but the whole de-feather and guting process isn't much fun. It would be cool if I could give him a whole or half bird though...
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Dec 19 6:34 am

Casper

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 9:28am PST 
Casper is 5 years old and(as of today)29 pounds (ranges from 25-30). He is a poodle mix, white/cream and at the moment pretty fluffy. He's a grain free dog already, eating Taste of the Wild kibble.

I would really like to switch him to raw prey model diet and I've been reading a lot about starting with raw chicken and branching out slowly. Not mixing raw with kibble and such.

1) What can I use easily for treats at training time? We usually use cheddar cheese shreds or pieces of cooked chicken or hot dogs. Can I still use those things if he's on a raw diet?

2) How do I keep that white fur clean while he's chewing on raw meat and bones? And as a secondary question, do you think we should have him shaved down when we first start raw? I think he's cuter when he's fluffy so we only get him shaved when the grooming gets too time consuming usually.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Dec 19 6:34 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.