GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > Dog changing after big move... Need help/advice! Please!
Dexter

Barked: Tue Dec 3, '13 7:58am PST 
So me and My year old Australian Shepherd Dexter have just made a big move. From just north of Toronto. Ontario to Jacksonville Florida. We have been here a little over a week but Dexter has really changed since being here. I know he needs time to adjust but it's like things that were small issue back in Canada are quickly becoming huge issues here. He has always been a little shy around new large breed dogs just hesitating slightly but when they come and sniff he then goes for a sniff and then wants to play. Now he doesn't want to approach any large dogs and starts to growl or bark if they approach him. Also with new people. He has never like strangers touching him and before if someone would go to pet him and he didn't want them to he would simply back away from them, I'd explain he was shy and that would be it. Now even when people approach us (especially if we are on our front lawn or driveway) he will bark and if the talk to him or try to touch him it just gets worse. I haven't invited anyone in the house because I'm worried what will happen. He's always been protective but this is ridiculous! Also his separation anxiety is 10x worse than it was before he has scratched at the front door, jumped up on a table to get to a window and dug holes in the back yard... All of which he has never done before. And worst of all my high energy pup now does not want to go for walks or runs anymore. As soon he poops he wants to turn around and go home. If I coax him to continue on walking about every few minutes he tries to turn around and go back. It's a struggle to get him to walk, ideally I like to jog with him but that's just impossible with all his stopping! I use to walk him for 2 hours a day now I barely walk him for an hour just because it takes so much effort to get him to go. Which makes him hyper in the house and probably makes all his behaviors worse. I have always thought exercise is the best way to solve behavioral problems and anxieties in your dog but I can't walk him! Back in Toronto I would walk him though forests off leash daily and we would meet his doggie friends and they would run and play. Now we walk through a subdivision and he isn't able to play with other dogs like he use to. I think he misses his freedom. I need help, advice, anything! Dexter was such a well trained dog. And now meeting all our neighbors and trying to explain that he's not normally like this.... They all this his a bad dog. Anyone else moved and experienced this? Does it get better? Will he adjust and be himself again? :'(
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 3 8:24 am

Behavior & Training > What's your favorite Dog Trick?
Dexter

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 7:15pm PST 
Hey everyone! Just want ideas for fun flashy tricks to teach Dex. So, what's your favorite trick you have taught your dog? And how did you teach it/how long did it take to teach? Lets share ideas smile
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Oct 21 4:03 am

Food & Nutrition > Well we are back and Penny is very picky!

Dexter

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 6:28pm PST 
So glad she gobbled up her dinner! The most important part about choosing a food I think is finding one they like to eat. I dogsat my friends Sheltie last week and she was so picky and reluctant to eat her kibble, it was very annoying... I would do anything to avoid having to deal with that everyday. Haha!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 4 12:56 pm

Food & Nutrition > Well we are back and Penny is very picky!

Dexter

Barked: Thu Oct 3, '13 4:24am PST 
I am no dog food expert but when I got Dexter I never fed him 'puppy' food. I did some research on it and from what I understood (and please anyone correct me if I'm totally off here) the difference between puppy and adult food is that puppy food has more fat and protein in it. So when I was picking Dexters food I picked an 'all life stages' food and choose the flavor with the highest fat and protein which had more than the puppy food we had been given with him. For reference we feed him Fromm Four Star.

Read this it may answer your question better than I did...

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/adult-food-vs-p uppy-food/
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Oct 4 12:56 pm

Behavior & Training > Dogsitting.... Any tips?

Dexter

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 11:45am PST 
Thanks for all the tips! When Shyloh came over yesterday Dexter didn't guard his toys or his water dish. They shared quite nicely although I did pick Dexters elk antler and favorite squeaky toy.... Just to be safe. I definatly will feed them seperatly to safe. And thanks Cohen for the tips about stopping him from guarding me, Dex is so treat motivated I think that will work well. Any additional tips would be appreciated smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 14 11:45 am

Behavior & Training > Dogsitting.... Any tips?
Dexter

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 2:04pm PST 
Next week one of Dexters doggie pals Shyloh a Sheltie will be staying with us for 10 days while her owners are on vacation smile They've played together at the park many times and get along great. Today she came over to our house for 5 hours to just make sure everything would go well since Dex has never had another dog come over befor. They got along well played with toys together, chased and ran in the yard, no bowl guarding, no real issues... everything seemed good. But when Shyloh would walk towards me Dexter would cut her off.... Almost like he didn't want her to get close to me. Is that odd? After a few hours he stopped doing it so much but I thought it was odd. Anyways anyone have any tips for having dog sitting go smoothly? Would love advice from others who have done it! Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Sep 14 11:45 am

Behavior & Training > Aussie aggression

Dexter

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 12:39pm PST 
Well I don't really have much advice for what to do honestly. My Aussie has done similar things but I never labeled it as aggression though. He often rams into the backs of my legs while holding a toy, baiting me to play with him. But not at a force that would knock me over. I ignored it and he doesnt do it nearly as much as he use to. Also especially when he was 8 to 10 months (he is a year old now) he would have little 'tantrums' with me while out walking. If he saw a dog and I wouldn't take him to see it or if I'd take him one way and he wanted to go the other way.... He would jump up grab the leash and start to tug it. I'd drop the leash and turn my back in an atempt to ignore him but then he would jump up nipping at my cloths to grab and tug on them. He tore a few jackets and nipped me a few times. And he does his play growl while doing this. I stopped the behavior basically by first wearing no loose cloths so he had nothing to bite at and gathering up the leash in my hands so he couldn't bite that either and then I sat on the side walk and waited till he calmed down befor walking again. Lol. I understand what you are describing sounds more aggressive that what I've described but maybe it's your dog being a playful puppy testing the limits? Just something to think about.... I am no dog expert. I always found Dexter was the best behaved after a long game of fetch in the park. It takes a lot to tire out an Aussie and no amount of leisurely walking does it. Dexter needs off leash running or a nice long jog with me to tire him out otherwise bit if a trouble maker.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 23 5:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Barking and growling when guests come over... Help!

Dexter

Barked: Wed Aug 21, '13 1:45pm PST 
Need some advice for how to stop this behavior. When someone opens the door or rings the bell Dexter runs to the door barking. If its just me coming home he will sit and wait nicely for me to pet him, like a good boy. But if someone he knows come over to visit he gets real excited when he sees them and barks and jumps up on them. I'm working on that... But that's not what's really annoying. If its someone he doesn't know he will just run around them barking and growling at them, if they try to great him he'll jump up and sometimes it takes him like 10 mins to calm down. I've tried asking people to ignore him. Doesn't work. I've tried having them ask him to sit and give him a treat. But as soon as the foods gone he's barking again. If tried having him on leash but that just frustrated him more. What do I do to make him not go crazy when a new person comes into the house. More often than not after the whole ordeal he has that stinky anal gland bum smell if you know what I mean. Help!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 21 6:58 pm

Grooming > Dental Care?

Dexter

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 7:35am PST 
I am a Dental Hygienist (for people) lol. Teeth are teeth IMO. Plaque will start to harden into tarter in 24 hours. Therefore to prevent buildup on your pups teeth you need to remove the plaque once a day (every 24 hours). Chewing on bones and ropes and things also provide some plaque removal. My dogs oral health is very important to me. I brush his teeth before bed every night. If your dog doesn't like it, let him lick some coconut oil of your fingers while you introduce the brush to him. Coconut oil has amazing qualities and helps reduce bacteria in the mouth and freshen breath.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 15 3:20 pm

Dog Health > Not eating... (sort of)... Should I be worried?
Dexter

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 6:55am PST 
Dexter is actually doing the exact same thing. He's a year old now and he seems to eat maybe half his kibble and then just walk away from the bowl. I try to encourage him to eat but I'm pretty sure that doesn't help at all. I think it just freaks him out. Lol. I'm gunna steal any advice others give to you on this issue. I'm a first time dig owner so I think I may overretract on most things.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 19 8:51 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.