GO!

(Page 1 of 96: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Laws & Legislation > Amish Puppy Mills?
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 6:56am PST 
Not all Amish run puppy mills. But, they do treat their animals as livestock and if they're selling small dogs - its a business. If they offered papers, I'd be even more wary. Chances of seeing legit health tests are pretty slim.

But it could be just a small breeding operation and the dogs treated well. With an Amish family near me, the children are in charge of the dogs and they only have 1-2 litters per year.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 6:56 am

Puppy Place > We don't know the breed of our dog.

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 1:44pm PST 
I'm gonna guess yellow cur. The way those ears stick up says mountain cur/yellow cur/catahoula to me. But... I'm biased.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 8:50 am

Behavior & Training > Would Dog Playmate Stop Cat Chasing?

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 5:39pm PST 
Speaking only in what I can imagine could happen (I'm a one dog person), I think another dog will make it worse. I've seen my dog become more obnoxious "showing off" for other dogs many times.

But what I can tell you from experience is that it should get better. Between 1 and 2 years-old is the WORST for behavior and pushing boundaries.

Tohbi got his kitten when he was a year old. I needed to distract him from eating my house. He chased, slobbered and wrestled that cat for a whole year. It sure got him past that puppy stage, but what he did was make one tough, scary kitty. Now, almost 8 years later, she OWNS him. He won't walk down the hallway if she's there (Its embarrassing - 86 lb dog / 8 lb cat). I have to move her if he wants to get on the bed. She loves him. He almost hates her.

I know this story doesn't help you now. Your poor cats are probably beside themselves. But, if your cats want to hire a kitty enforcer... I might know someone.

[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Feb 25 9:11 pm

Dog Health > I feel like a bad "parent"...

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 9:33am PST 
I LOATHE brushing Tohbi's teeth. So, it doesn't happen very often. I feel your pain.

My father used to hear me moan about having to brush his teeth and he'd push me about it. "It can't be that bad" and all that. So I brought the paste and the brush to him and told him to try it.

He never mentioned it again.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 14 9:44 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Your Top Three

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 4:07pm PST 
1. A Lazy, reject, huge Catahoula (a repeat, if you will)
2. a normal Catahoula
3. Maybe a Boston Terrier if I can't handle 'houlas anymore.

I found my breed. I love this guy and if I ever get a new dog, I want one just like him.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Sep 27 7:55 pm

Food & Nutrition > how far do you drive?

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Sat Jul 7, '12 7:24am PST 
I drive either 32 or 45 miles to one of two stores to pick up Tohbi's food.

Its not a huge deal though as I work 37 miles away from my house and the stores are in the same general direction.

I live in the boonies so you gotta drive to do or buy anything that you don't want to order online.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jul 19 7:06 pm

Behavior & Training > i Broke my collar to run free! (rant)

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 5:32pm PST 
I'm thinking this is the first many adventures you're going to have with your 'houla. They're the best dogs ever - but they're handfuls.

She's a little small now, but as soon as she starts filling out I encourage you to think about a good martingale collar. With the mix of Catahoula and Rottie, I think you'll go through a few collars. Martingales really worked well with Tohbi. He's all Catahoula, but very large framed so his neck was always just about the same size as his head. And they're so acrobatic and strong, he'd slip or break any collar that didnt cinch a bit.

My favorites were "O"ring hunting collars (they pivot at the ring when the dog pulls back and tires to squirm out) and thick nylon Martingales.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 7 9:26 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Bananas

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 7:04pm PST 
Bananas and tomatoes are the two foods that Tohbi hates so much he barks at them. Anything else is open season, though. Weird.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 15 5:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Help me enjoy my walks with Otis more :)

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 6:58pm PST 
Wow. This is a hard one. Tohbi is an 8 year-old Catahoula and he does the same things. I can control it to a point, but if he wants to do something - he does it. You can watch him weigh his options, consider the consequences and then do exactly what he chooses. He's an open book.

Personally, I think your boy knows what "with me" means and he chooses to do what he wants. You really have to keep up with Catahoulas or they'll push you around. When I'm with Tobhi, I have a completely different tone and stance when I want him to heel and not pee on everything. I have to anticipate his actions and stay one step ahead of his urges, be that to mark or play. After eight years, I usually win.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 2 9:38 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Buckle up your pet?

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 5:51am PST 
I buckle up Tohbi to help protect my new car.

I just got a Scion iQ - very tiny. I took Tohbi to the dealer and made sure he fit well and could get in and out wit ease (he has bad knees and jumping into my Honda Element gives him pause).

He loves it. I fold down the rear seats and put a horse blanket and then a fluffy through in the back (tucked down and relatively secure). Then I have a zip line that goes across the back and Tohbi is hooked via his roadie harness. I'm not sure if he's safer, as there's not a lot of room back there anyway, but it keeps him in the back and not jumping up into the passenger seat.

[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jun 15 10:00 pm

(Page 1 of 96: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.