Postings by Edward

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Choosing the Right Dog > What makes a dog "loyal"??
Edward

Edward - Sweet to the- core

Barked: Fri Feb 14, '14 6:46pm PST 
I have two dogs right now that I would classify as very loyal. They are both very outgoing and like other people, but you have to literally pry them off of me to get them to go with somebody else. This has been extremely problematic with showing because both of them refuse to work with a handler. They just get completely worked up and frantic. The handlers have all told me they would have to take my dogs away with them for a month or more before they could show them to try and lesson the attachment. I am not willing to do that so we will just have to muddle along with me handling them in conformation. So dogs can be both outgoing and attached.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Feb 19 10:42 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed Match - NOT for me. Would like other input from dog savvy people for a friend.
Edward

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 6:56pm PST 
Take a look at a Clumber. The only non match is they aren't really watch dogs - though many will bark at strangers. Everybody who sees my Clumber asks if he is a Saint Cross - they have that big old head - especially the boys. They are good with other dogs, have an off switch in the house, most have great temperaments, they are real huggy bears. They do drool and shed a lot but you said that isn't an issue. The males can be in the 80lb pound range but they aren't tall dogs - solid with shorter legs. They are meant to be steady hunters that can go all day, but not necessarily at speed (a "gentleman's" hunting dog. They aren't barkers - my current one does "alarm" bark when say somebody knocks at the door, but other than that they are very quiet. Many will do a happy "woo", most snore, and I have one that grunts like a piggy. I adore Clumbers and they are a great dog for the right family.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 6:09 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Trendy Dogs of the Year 2013

Edward

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 5:47pm PST 
We are seeing a lot of Cane Corso's around here that are pretty out of control scary. I was talking to a woman the other day and she was telling me she just bought a Cane Corso puppy. She knew nothing about the breed and this was her first dog. But a friend had a litter and she thought they might make a good pet. I shudder to think how that will end up.
And while an Anatolian can be a lovely dog, I can't even imagine one in an apartment or even a suburban situation. I have a number of friends with them but they are serious working farm dogs. This is a breed that really has to have a job. This isn't a dog that is going to be happy jogging a few miles a day or living in an urban backyard.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 8 3:46 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed match for a friend

Edward

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 4:36pm PST 
How about an irish setter? A nice setter is a clown that could easily be a running buddy and they are very sweet and cuddly. Setters aren't droolers and the ones I've known haven't been big barkers. And they are a glorious red color smile They are also very dog friendly if your friend would want to go to a dog park or interact with other people and their dogs. They do have coat, but it isn't a tremendously thick coat (like a clumber!) and long hair can be easier to deal with than short hairs that get into everything.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 7:59 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Would a Chinese Crested be a good match for child?

Edward

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 4:45pm PST 
I am always cautious with toy dogs and small children - the toys can be very breakable. A child can unintentionally injure a small dog so easily. If you really want to stay small I would probably look at something a little more sturdy than a crested. If you are determined to get a crested I would be very careful of the breeder. I have seen a lot of fearful and very shy cresteds so you really want to be careful of temperament. Also be aware that the look the dogs in the show ring have generally takes a lot of grooming (and often hair removal - many of the show people use nair to get that perfect outline). The reality of a "normally" groomed crested is generally a lot different. If you aren't interested in a powder puff because of the appearance then you may be disappointed in what your pet will look like. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Sheeba, Oct 20 12:29 pm

Dogster Railroad > Need TN-VA drivers Desperately!!!!!
Edward

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 7:27pm PST 
There is a possibility I can help out with this transport. I am going from Pensacola, FL to Romulus, NY on September 22, 2013. I am going to a dog show and would have two other dogs with me. I would need to be sure the dog is healthy, dog friendly, a good traveler and flea free for the trip. Sorry to be picky but I can't have my dogs get fleas/sick on the way to the National Specialty.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Edward, Sep 13 7:27 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > BIG Labrador Retrievers

Edward

Barked: Sun Aug 4, '13 8:06pm PST 
If you go to field trials a lot of the field bred labs are very tall, rangey, kind of raw boned looking. They also appear waspy wasted and lack head type. Show bred labs tend to be smaller and heavier with more bone. I have never seen a huge lab in the show ring. In our area a lot of the backyard breeder labs almost look like they have some Dane mixed in somewhere.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Aug 6 5:57 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What breed has the softest coat?

Edward

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 7:36pm PST 
One of the first comments out of people when they pet my Clumber Spaniels is that they have the softest fur of any dog they have ever petted. It is plush and very silky soft, particularly on their heads. My Sussex are soft too, but the Clumber is in a class by itself smile
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Mozart, Mar 30 1:20 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Looking for a human and other pet friendly dog breed!

Edward

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 7:34pm PST 
Well if shedding and drooling bother you a Clumber is out. Your other criteria they are a good match for, but I have to tell you nothing sheds more than a Clumber. Seriously, it is almost indescribable. They shed 24/7, 365 days a year. And they drool. One day a week I go through the house with bleach to clean the drool off the walls. All my clothes end up with drool smears all over them smile They are not the dog for someone who likes a neat house. I wouldn't have a home without one but they are definitely not for everyone.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sonja, Jul 20 6:07 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Finding the Right Adult Dog
Edward

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 5:59pm PST 
I don't think you will have that hard of a time getting a Clumber if you are motivated and have good references. Unfortunately, more and more are showing up in rescue. They have had some fairly big puppy mill rescues in the past few years - one was fifteen dogs. For a rare breed it can be tough to find placement for that many rescues just because a lot of people don't know much about Clumbers. And once you are established and "in" in the Clumber world adult placements are not hard to come by. I have adopted a Clumber returned to the breeder, and after his death last year when I was looking for another Clumber I had a number of Clumber adults offered to me (retired show dogs not used for breeding). My advice is to go to the National Specialty, get to know people and learn more about the breed. This is definitely not the breed for everyone, but for the right person they are the best smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Leia, Jul 17 4:35 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.