Postings by Kristen

GO!

Dog Health > Does anyone know what this condition affecting my dog's back legs is called?

Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:38am PST 
I agree, this sounds like luxating patellas and only a veterinarian can tell you how severe it is. You will need to keep an eye on your dog. It's best to cut back on exercise, as too much movement will cause pain. However, luxating patellas can be cured through surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Dec 7 5:32 am

Dog Health > Parvo/distemper and ? vaccine combo?
Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:35am PST 
The best way to protect a dog from get parvo is to vaccinate. I will not take my dog into areas with a lot of other dogs, except for the vet. When we are at the vet I don't let them near any other dogs, as I don't want them catching diseases.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Dec 7 5:52 am

Dog Health > spine and hip bone showing?!

Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:37am PST 
As somebody suggested, I would look into the possibility of spondylosis. In a dog with spondylosis, you will see the spine, but not because they are underweight. Veterinarians can correct this condition with surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 6 8:11 pm

Dog Health > Tricks To Get Urine Samples

Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:35am PST 
Make sure you wash your hands before doing the collection, as you don't want to contaminate the sample. When I needed to collect from Kristen, I just used a clean plastic cup. I also cleaned her vulva before getting the sample, just to make sure there was no contamination. It wasn't very hard, as she really needed to go and as soon as we went outside on the leash she urinated and I stuck the cup underneath her. Then, I put a piece of seran wrap over it with a rubber band and took it to the vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 7 7:38 pm

Dog Health > Looks like Bunny will be going in for his rabies shots ASAP

Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:41am PST 
If your state and juristiction allows, you can actually vaccinate against rabies at home. Just make sure to purchased good quality vaccines. You will want to shake the vaccine bottle before administering it. You will only need a one millimeter syringe. The vaccine should be injected subcutaneously (under the skin). Just make sure to keep your dog at home and to keep an eye on him, just in case there is a reaction to the vaccine.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Dec 11 1:56 pm

Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:39am PST 
As Amanda suggested, a low edge bowl could work well. You will probably have to take her on quite a few walks. Just as soon as she squats, stick the bowl under her. The urine can be stored in a sandwich bag quite easily, too. Again, like Amanda said, make sure to refridgerate the sample, unless it will spoil!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Dec 7 7:38 pm

Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:30am PST 
You will need a clean container and a saucer. As soon as you see her squat, stick the saucer right under her. If she urinates on cement or another hard surfice, you can use an eye dropper to pick up some urine. You will need to get the sample to the vet soon after collecting it. If you can't get the sample yourself, have the vet do it with cytocentesis (a needle directing into the bladder).
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Dec 7 7:38 pm

Dog Health > Do dogs really benefit from joint supplements.

Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:58am PST 
The best thing you can do for your dog's joints is to make sure she is at a proper, lean weight. Most older dogs benefit from joint supplements, but your girl is still young. If you want to start supplementing her, start with glucosamine. Unless she has arthritis, you don't need to use chondroitin sulfate, so glucosamine alone would probably be enough. MSM is also a good supplement for arthritis, but it sounds like your girl doesn't really need anything!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Lilly CD CDX JD JDX AD, Dec 6 7:19 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.