GO!

Behavior & Training > Aussie won't listen when other people are near by.

Rylee

Want to play,- want to run,- want to play?

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 4:42pm PST 
That BAT training seems interesting. I will have to work with her on that. It seems like we could be 50 feet away and she will bark at a kid. So it will take some time to get her to actually sniff or greet a kid willingly. Thanks for the advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 4:42 pm

Australian Shepherd > Aussie won't listen to me!
Rylee

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 4:13pm PST 
Bailey...what you said was very helpful!!! I can't thank you enough. I will try all of those ideas when I bring her again. Someone tried to take her, but luckily she listened to my come command and came right to me and looked up at me saying "I didn't like her, I'll stay next to you". So she only comes one night a week, on the slow night.

1.It is hard to walk the line of disclipine and wondering if the customer is going to go tell the owner I was yelling at my dog at work. I am glad you also work at a Pet Store and know the troubles I am going through. I knew Aussie's were a smart breed, and continue to see that each day. She knows what she is doing and will do so until I correct her. I had one lady say I was taking away her spirit by telling her that she couldn't jump on people. But then I would explain some people are here for cat food and don't want to deal with a dog jumping up on them, or a kid could get knocked over. Then she said, well I guess-but you aren't letting her be a dog. Well, lady I am letting her come to work with me, and she NEEDS to behave or she won't come as often.

2. I have been tying her up behind the counter, so she can hear that people came and but can't go greet them. I then let them pet her after telling them I am working on her not jumping and she can only be petted while sitting. Of course I get the, "oh she is fine, she is so small she couldn't hurt a fly" or "she is fine, she is too cute". Well it isn't cute when a kid could get hurt and I would be at fault for it. So I have to train her! I keep her tied up and then the customer can see them with me at her side and controlling her leash to tell her to sit. Then when they leave the store I let her off leash to explore and run some. Then when I see them coming in, I tell her to come and she has been doing so. Then I put her on the leash so she can't go jump up on them. I will try the longer leash and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice!

3. It is hard to be polite to people when you say, "please have her sit before petting her". Then she jumps up on them and they pick her up and cuddle her. Really!!! She isn't a cat, she is a dog, and needs to sit to be petted. Some people get it, and some people could care less what I say and they let her jump. So I grab her leash and pull her off of them. I give them one more chance and if she jumps and they don't stop petting her, behind the counter she goes tied up and can't go see them anymore. It is hard to do, but they have to learn...she knows what to do to not get into trouble. It really is just training the customers and having Rylee respect that as well. I wish they would respect training. I always ask to pet the dogs, just in case they need them to be in a sit or if the dog is dangerous. I just wish everyone else would do that. But it is hard when Rylee is smaller and cute, they just want to hug her. shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 4:13 pm

Rylee

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:35pm PST 
I have it on there as well, but no reply back on that post as of yet.

I have a bed for her at the store that she sits on when people are here or not. I have tried to give her treats to come to me or stay on the bed, but she wants to see the people and jump up on their legs for attention more than the treat. She isn't really food motivated, she is more for a scratch behind the ears or belly rub. That is what the customers are willing to do, as am I if she is behaving. Then if she sees a kid instead of hiding, she will go towards the kid and growl/bark and submissive pee. So I try to get her to come back to me before all of that happens. I tell her to sit and stay, but she sees the parent and wants to get attention from them. Maybe what I need to do is tie her to the counter so she can’t run when people are here and have them make her sit before petting her. That is something I can work on, the sticking to the reinforcement. It seems I may have stopped too soon.

We couldn't take her to classes because she was afraid of the car and would get car sick by just driving around a city block. Literally would drool non-stop or vomit during and after the car ride. So we had to stay around home with her or deal with vomit all over her and the car. We would drive block after block with her to get her over the car sickness, tried meds, and even tried a car seat. Nothing seemed to work. Then once she was a year she finally stopped drooling, for a 15 minute drive. We have yet to try anything longer since she still sees the car as not a fun place. When we got her we drove 4 hours home and that was her first car ride, so she doesn't have the best of memories from it...taken from her mom and siblings to a new place, long ride, bumpy, and new smells. I grew up with an Aussie and went through the training for that dog, and another dog later in life. So I have the wisdom of the basics to teach. Just didn't stick to it enough it seems. I will look into that book to see what that recommends as well.

We met both of her parents and siblings from the breeder that we got her from. Her Mom is a purebred Mini Aussie and her Dad is a purebred Toy Aussie. So neither of her parents were part Chihuahua. Both are registered with papers as well. What challenges does a toy breed come with?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 4:13 pm

Behavior & Training > Separation Anxiety in new dog

Rylee

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:58pm PST 
I would do what Hazel suggested. Those are all great ideas for keeping the dog busy. You could also get dog pheromone collars at a Pet store. They really work! I had a dog that would destroy things when we would leave, but with the collar she was more relaxed and at peace. Also, a good amount of exercise can lessen the anxiety as well. A long walk, the Walky Buddy is what I use to bike with my dog, run on a treadmill (the dog by itself), or just playing ball until they are tired. Mainly work their body and brain to get them tired, and then get things to keep them busy while you leave. I was told the first 5 to 10 minutes are the worst for separation anxiety. So if you get them through those first few minutes then they will relax or go do something else.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 8 10:45 am

Behavior & Training > Aussie won't listen when other people are near by.

Rylee

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:52pm PST 
I have a mini Australian Shepherd that is just over a year old, we have had her since she was 10 weeks old. We exercise her daily by walking her outside, biking with her with a Walky Buddy bike attachment, or running her on the treadmill. So she has proper exercise, and we even use toys to stimulate her mind.

We couldn't really socialize her due to her getting car sick by just driving around the block. We would socialize her on walks and outside out house, but otherwise we couldn't go far with her. As she grew she got better with car rides, and I take her to work with me at a Pet Shop. She knows many tricks (sit, stay, lay down, high five, shake, dance, be pretty, roll over, army crawl) but when someone comes in to the, she will not listen to my commands. She isn't a fan of kids, will bark, growl, and pee when she sees one. So I need her to listen to my commands to get her away from a kids, but the adult with the kid she wants to see. She knows that if someone is in the store, that she won't get yelled at or punished. By punished I mean just looking at her and saying NO sort of loud. But with customers in the store, I can't do that because they may say "oh she is fine" or "she didn't do anything wrong". In their eyes she could do no wrong, she weighs about 12 pounds and is very cute, so of course she couldn't do any wrong to them. But to not listen to me, is doing wrong in my eyes. When I tell her to “come” she will look at me and then just stay by the customer, or will just run to them and paw up on them. Then she won't come to me, sit, or even get down from standing on her back legs when I say “off”. Yet when no one is in the store she is really well behaved and listens to all my commands. I have tried the sit and stay, but if someone says “come here”, she will just run past me and ignore my commands. I ask people to ignore her, but they won't do so.

Should I be having her on a leash at all times tied to the counter so people can only see here when she is on leash? Should I yell in front of people even if she is naughty? Should I be more forceful with the people and tell them she can’t say hi until she sits? I have tried that, but they ignore my comments since she is so small they don’t care what she does. Also Rylee will just stand up on their legs to get attention and won’t get “off” when I tell her to. She will cower when I tell her a command and people ask if she was a rescue dog. But we have had her since she was a puppy and have never laid a hand on her in any way. She just acts submissive with new people or when I tell her a command that she doesn’t want to do in front of people.

Please Help!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 4:42 pm

Australian Shepherd > Help!
Rylee

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 2:46pm PST 
It will grow back fine and normal. I shaved my Aussie and her hair grew back within a few months and is fluffy and smooth just like before. I used to work at a dog salon and many people were afraid of it not growing back. But it will grow back, no worries.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Dec 4 2:46 pm

Rylee

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 2:24pm PST 
I have a mini Australian Shepherd that is just over a year old, we have had her since she was 10 weeks old. We exercise her daily by walking her outside, biking with her with a Walky Buddy bike attachment, or running her on the treadmill. So she has proper exercise, and we even use toys to stimulate her mind.

We couldn't really socialize her due to her getting car sick by just driving around the block. We would socialize her on walks and outside out house, but otherwise we couldn't go far with her. As she grew she got better with car rides, and I take her to work with me at a Pet Shop. She knows many tricks (sit, stay, lay down, high five, shake, dance, be pretty, roll over, army crawl) but when someone comes in to the, she will not listen to my commands. She isn't a fan of kids, will bark, growl, and pee when she sees one. So I need her to listen to my commands to get her away from a kids, but the adult with the kid she wants to see. She knows that if someone is in the store, that she won't get yelled at or punished. By punished I mean just looking at her and saying NO sort of loud. But with customers in the store, I can't do that because they may say "oh she is fine" or "she didn't do anything wrong". In their eyes she could do no wrong, she weighs about 12 pounds and is very cute, so of course she couldn't do any wrong to them. But to not listen to me, is doing wrong in my eyes. When I tell her to “come” she will look at me and then just stay by the customer, or will just run to them and paw up on them. Then she won't come to me, sit, or even get down from standing on her back legs when I say “off”. Yet when no one is in the store she is really well behaved and listens to all my commands. I have tried the sit and stay, but if someone says “come here”, she will just run past me and ignore my commands. I ask people to ignore her, but they won't do so.

Should I be having her on a leash at all times tied to the counter so people can only see here when she is on leash? Should I yell in front of people even if she is naughty? Should I be more forceful with the people and tell them she can’t say hi until she sits? I have tried that, but they ignore my comments since she is so small they don’t care what she does. Also Rylee will just stand up on their legs to get attention and won’t get “off” when I tell her to. She will cower when I tell her a command and people ask if she was a rescue dog. But we have had her since she was a puppy and have never laid a hand on her in any way. She just acts submissive with new people or when I tell her a command that she doesn’t want to do in front of people.

Please Help!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 27 4:13 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.